Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thatcher in hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What are you on about? What concern have I with mining towns. Where did I ever mention mining? Have I to start spelling things out now in great detail?

People who are not traditionally republican = for example, a traditional Fine Gael family/supporter. They may not have supported the IRA's armed struggle, but some of them hated Maggie nonetheless.

Is that a bit clearer now????

Well no, it's not clearer now. Why would they hate her then?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Renn wrote: »
    Well no, it's not clearer now. Why would they hate her then?

Where have you been? Any knowledge of history? Perhaps you weren't born during her 'reign'. If you were, then I'll have to issue a.....Troll Alert!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Typical response from a quarter who thought they could wave the big stick and always win.

She gave the Weetabixed haired hardliner Scargill and his bullies a good solid brogue up the plum bag and banged some sense into them.

She told the blanket boys to smear all the walls they liked, she wouldn't change, and she kept her word while these lads died in their midden encrusted mausoleums.

Called them out so she did, and didn't step back.

Long may her spirit survive.

Ah yes, a typical response from FB, full of flag-waving rhetoric and bad prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Where have you been? Any knowledge of history? Perhaps you weren't born during her 'reign'. If you were, then I'll have to issue a.....Troll Alert!

Well I was born while she was PM but I was born in a place that wasn't part of the UK. I honestly know very little about her but I do know about the hunger strikes etc. So I really don't know what people over here are getting upset over if it's not about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Don't be downhearted, I wouldn't hold to much regard for today's alleged 'Republican' prisoners. They're not republican! The IRA ended it's armed campaign, plenty of concessions were given through a viable and productive political path that was offered by the British. Something the British said they would never do.

Well I won't argue with that as the threads already in some danger of being derailed. Tell you what support my suggestion for a forum we could have a thread about it there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If you review her years in power and the effect her failed policies had on the 6 counties. Instead of destroying her enemies, she merely invigorated them and strengthened their resolve. Ironically, her enemies walk the halls of Stormont today so her efforts at destroying them possessed much Fail!

The Belgrano was another controversy that marked her as a figure of hate internationally. The unprovoked sinking of this ship outside of a military exclusions zone was nothing more than a war crime. HMS Conqueror (submarine) had been shadowing the Belgrano for several days, knew it possessed no military threat and Maggie ordered the attack which left 323 dead.

Personally my dislike of her relates to her policies in Ireland, which included the H-Block period. Her gung ho approach was a failure, I always got the feeling from her that she was trying too hard. Trying to be more ruthless than any male PM, hence the spitting image jibes of her having a hairy chest and a penis. Yet years later her hypocrisy was exposed, all along there was secret channels and negotiations with her government and the republican movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Actually, she gave in before ten men died, but the remainder were ordered to continue by the IRA leadership. http://www.longkesh.info/2008/03/27/eamon-mccann-richard-isnt-a-liar-he-told-the-truth-in-his-book-2008/

The point still stands. 4 men were dead by that stage and several more had done serious damage to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It should be noted that the French closed their mines down too. However they did it in a phased manner, while simultaneously retraining the workforce and trying to get other industries in. Of course maggie didn't bother too much with that, which is why some rather picturesque former mining villages in Wales are dog rough heroin and unemployment 'black spots'.....

....putting homophobic legislation on the books (I think cameron apologised for that one).....refusing to back sanctions against Apartheid South Africa...increasing her own countries north/south divide....the hunger strikers..being a cheer leader for Reagan.....I've probably forgotten loads.

It should be noted that despite the long run she had in power, at her greatest moment of popularity she still only had 42% of the vote, which is something to think about.

Somebody remarked earlier about her being 'lionised' after her death - 4 Million STG is earmarked for her state funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If she dies, you'll all be ashamed of yourselves for the disgraceful nature of your posts in this thread.

The poor woman is at death's door & all people can do is make snide comments.

This is a new low for After Hours.

I hope I hint on sarcasm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I have Fiesta by The Pogues queued up and ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nodin wrote: »
    It should be noted that the French closed their mines down too. However they did it in a phased manner, while simultaneously retraining the workforce and trying to get other industries in. Of course maggie didn't bother too much with that, which is why some rather picturesque former mining villages in Wales are dog rough heroin and unemployment 'black spots'.....

....putting homophobic legislation on the books (I think cameron apologised for that one).....refusing to back sanctions against Apartheid South Africa...increasing her own countries north/south divide....the hunger strikers..being a cheer leader for Reagan.....I've probably forgotten loads.

It should be noted that despite the long run she had in power, at her greatest moment of popularity she still only had 42% of the vote, which is something to think about.

If they had done it properly, like Maggie, they wouldn't be crippled by a month's worth of strikes and lawless hooligans with nothing better to do blocking roads and oil refineries and seemingly getting away with it.

Somebody remarked earlier about her being 'lionised' after her death - 4 Million STG is earmarked for her state funeral.

If the French had followed her example they wouldn't have to put up with the chaos over there for the past month:cool:

She did everything in her power to ensure the rich stayed richer and the poor got shafted. She destroyed communities in the north of England in her persuit of crushing the unions.

She backed some of the most revolting regimes in the world because they were enacting economic policies she could only dream of enacting.

There is so much more, and that's before you even start on Ireland.

Tramp the dirt down.

If the French had followed her example they wouldn't have to put up with the chaos over there for the past month:cool:

Bear with me now - You're saying that If the French had just sacked miners (30 years ago) instead of reskilling them and trying to avoid turning the areas into unemployment/drug/crime blackspots, they wouldn't have people from various walks of life protesting about pensions more than three decades later.......

Is that a fair summation?

Bear with me now - You're saying that If the French had just sacked miners (30 years ago) instead of reskilling them and trying to avoid turning the areas into unemployment/drug/crime blackspots, they wouldn't have people from various walks of life protesting about pensions more than three decades later.......

No, it's not.

A fair summation would be that if the French had the balls to take on the Unions 30 years ago, there wouldn't be lawless thugs using the cloak of 'aggrieved citizens' and supported by the same unions to ensure that their members were taken care of and screw everyone else.

That would be a lot closer;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The French would have turned the whole of France to ash, had the the government done a Maggie.

She was a hypocritical bitch. The only union that she ever supported was Solidarity, but she wouldn't have done that if it were based in the UK instead of Poland.

and she only did that to get a friendly country to put nato missiles in against the USSR.

No, it's not.

A fair summation (.................)of and screw everyone else.

That would be a lot closer;)

Do me a favour, if you would, and explain to me the advantage of closing an industry without making provision for the effects on the areas dependent on it.

What have "unions" got to do with the Goverments duty as regards providing for people in those areas?

Isn't the long term cost of unemployment, high crime and drug addiction far greater than re-education and re-orientating regional economies?

And of course, seeing as Mrs Thatcher "stood up" to both Mineworkers Unions and the Printworkers she should have had no trouble after that. Whither the Poll Tax riots then?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The French would have turned the whole of France to ash, had the the government done a Maggie.

She was a hypocritical bitch. The only union that she ever supported was Solidarity, but she wouldn't have done that if it were based in the UK instead of Poland.

Or if they were based in El Salvador or Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Well if the unions had worked with Sunny Jim instead of fighting him tooth and nail, maybe the the mines would have been run down in an orderly manner, but no they knew best.

Sorry but they reaped what they sowed, no pity, ditto the shipbuilding and car manufacturing industries.

Do me a favour, if you would, and explain to me the advantage of closing an industry without making provision for the effects on the areas dependent on it.

What have "unions" got to do with the Goverments duty as regards providing for people in those areas?

Isn't the long term cost of unemployment, high crime and drug addiction far greater than re-education and re-orientating regional economies?

And of course, seeing as Mrs Thatcher "stood up" to both Mineworkers Unions and the Printworkers she should have had no trouble after that. Whither the Poll Tax riots then?

Do me a favour, stick to the topic and stop deviating from my point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You had a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

brummytom wrote: »
    I regret the fact they didn't kill her when they had the chance

I expect killing the Prime Minister would've brought peace and prosperity very quickly to West Belfast and Derry and South Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

amacachi wrote: »
    I expect killing the Prime Minister would've brought peace and prosperity very quickly to West Belfast and Derry and South Armagh.

I knew some Tories who would have been only too happy to organise street-parties, had the witch been sent to hell early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Belgrano was another controversy that marked her as a figure of hate internationally. The unprovoked sinking of this ship outside of a military exclusions zone was nothing more than a war crime. HMS Conqueror (submarine) had been shadowing the Belgrano for several days, knew it possessed no military threat and Maggie ordered the attack which left 323 dead.

War crime my arse, if the Belgrano wasn't part of the war, what the **** was it doing? off on a summer cruise of the south pole?

There is no such thing as a military exclusion zone as far as belligerent countries are concerned. The Belgrano was the flagship of the Argentine navy. They had invaded the Falkland islands and the Belgrano was shadowing the British fleet sent out there to claim them back. How is sinking it unprovoked? Even the Captain of the Belgrano agrees that sinking it was the right thing for the Royal Navy to do.

The only crime was the unprovoked invasion of the Falklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I knew some Tories who would have been only too happy to organise street-parties, had the witch been sent to hell early.

Given Teds past history of organising piss up in a brewery, I would pass on the street party

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

don't know if some one has noticed this but on the 13th it was her birthday and the only thing on tv was the (Chilean) minors celebrating.

Justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll say this for her - she was no coward.

No?..

Cool that she sent a task force to free The Falkland Islands from the Argentine invasion, then a year later done nothing when Ragan invaded Grenada, another British colony.

I'm exploring your point. I await your replies with interest.

• Advertisement

No?..

Cool that she sent a task force to free The Falkland Islands from the Argentine invasion, then a year later done nothing when Ragan invaded Grenada, another British colony.

Reminds me of the famous exchange

Heckler: At least Mrs Thatcher has got guts.
    Neil Kinnock: It's a pity that other people had to leave theirs on the ground at Goose Green to prove it.

Her "guts" and defence of the little folk didn't extend to thousands killed and tortured by Pinochet, seemingly. Nor the victims of Reagans policies in latin America.

Advertisement