Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 8m broadband upload speed is only 37 kb ?

• 20-10-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    At limerick where i live i can only get Eircom broadband 8mb with phoneline.
    download is ok 700-800 p/s but the upload speed of 37kb only is killing me.

when i am uploading web files to the ftp server with 37kb takes ages also at the same time browsing internet becomes almost impossiable.

is it same with everyone or should i call eircom tech ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are the speeds you quote in bits, or bytes, per second? It's very important to clarify and understand the difference.

Run a speed test on speedtest.net and post the result.

You do know that the upload speed will be a lot less than the download, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

speeds i mention are in kb s.
    i also know that upload speed will be slower than download speed but i have never seen this slow.
    i have one unlocked 3g modem when i use vodafone and three sim cards my upload rate is over 100kb/s i have used upc on my previous home and upload speed was 270kb/s or 300kb/s but this eircoms 37kb/s upload speed is really very slow for everything. even as i remember if you want to make voip calls or use skpype webcam chat your upload speed should be greater then 37kb/s to send data.

37kb/s is really sucks and im paying 60Euro per/month to eircom for 8mb broadband service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

m3hm3t wrote: »
    speeds i mention are in kb s.
    i also know that upload speed will be slower than download speed but i have never seen this slow.
    i have one unlocked 3g modem when i use vodafone and three sim cards my upload rate is over 100kb/s i have used upc on my previous home and upload speed was 270kb/s or 300kb/s but this eircoms 37kb/s upload speed is really very slow for everything. even as i remember if you want to make voip calls or use skpype webcam chat your upload speed should be greater then 37kb/s to send data.

37kb/s is really sucks and im paying 60Euro per/month to eircom for 8mb broadband service.
    Im on Eircom 3mb and my upload fine getting 2657mb down and 310kb up did you ring Eircom and tell them your problem maybe try restart your connection and see does that help.

jor el wrote: »
    Are the speeds you quote in bits, or bytes, per second? It's very important to clarify and understand the difference.

Bytes, judging by the OP's follow-up post.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

rob808 wrote: »
    Im on Eircom 3mb and my upload fine getting 2657mb down and 310kb up did you ring Eircom and tell them your problem maybe try restart your connection and see does that help.

i opened a ticket on there website 3 days ago still there is no respond to that. if i call for support i guess i will wait 3 days on the phone too :) mailing is cheaper.
    i have tried restarting the modem and reseting the modem still download speed 700 kb/s and upload speed 37 kb/s (bytes) :)

i run a speed test from the Speedtest.net it shows down speed is : 6.12 mb/s upload speed is : 0.32 mb/s ping:80ms
    in reallty i never reach this speeds showed. im using only 10% of the shown speeds. if i download something from rabidshare or hotfile speed 650 - 700kb/s and if uploading to any ftp speed is 37-39 kb/s not mb/s as test site shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I take it to mean bits, small b for bits, big B for Bytes.

If the upload is 37kbps (when it should be more like 384kbps) and the download is 700-800kbps (when it should be 8Mbps which is 8000kbps) then your line has severe problems. Both your upload and download is 1/10th of what it should be.

If the upload speed is 37kBps, which is 296kbps, then it's actually about right. A little slow, but not by that much. You'd be doing well to get 300kbps upload on most eircom lines.

Oh, I see it is Bytes per sec, in which case it's actually about right. kbps is bits, not Bytes.

Advertisement