Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to do with him?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,

I have a pup that was given to us because the owner was going to put him down. We are in rented accommodation and all our room mates agreed it would be ok to have him here. But on contacting our landlord he told us we wouldn't be allowed to have him at the house.

As I am not in a position to move house yet, I was hoping to foster him or do something similar until I find a place to live that would allow dogs. I dont want to give him up, but risk losing the bond if he stays with me.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any people that would be able to help someone that doesnt want to give their dog away? Or would this be unfair on the dog?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

have u any idea when u would be in a postion to move? A time scale might make given advise easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Can you give us a bit more info, what part of the country are you in? What kinda dog, is he housetrained etc? How long do you think it will be for?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Missgoggles

Hey,

Ive been looking for places since I got him and there aren't many places in my price range that allow for dogs. So going to start looking for rural places. I'm in Dublin at the moment.

I would pay for all costs while my dog stays else where and would be hoping to come each day and walk/play with him and then take him to my OH's family home on weekends.

But then someone mentioned to me that it might not be fair on our dog because he wouldnt know who owns him!!

Im not sure what type of dog he is. Hes a beautiful black ball of fluff:p

We want him to be an outdoor dog as much as possible but we have done quite a bit of house training also and he's not quite there yet. When he's in our house he's fine, but when he's in someone elses house he seems to pee inside, so we have to work on that.

He gets on great with other dogs. My mate has 2 great danes and he barks alot at them and chases them away. After a while he was able to play a little with them. But with every other dog he seems to be friendly enough.

He's good around kids, but jumps up, so we are trying to teach him not to do this. He's great on his own, but prefers to be with people. Plays happily with his toys outside. Loves to go for walks and is great in cars.

The thing is that I dont know how long it will take to find another place so time scale is hard. And I dont know if I should just give him to someone that would be able to care for him instead of having him stay some place else, get fimiliar with that place and then uproot him again once I've found somewhere. My heart breaks even thinking about all this, but in the end I need to make a decision which is best for the pup and I just dont know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

You could always play the sneaky tenant part. When we rented our first house pets werent allowed but at the time we had 2 cavaliers. We rented through an estate agent and they carried out inspections every 6 to 8 weeks on behalf of the landlord but they rang a day or 2 in advance to confirm. Once we knew the time they were coming we scrubbed the house, threw all the dogs gear into the boot of the car and dropped them off at a friends house for a few hours. It mightnt suit your situation but its an option and once you keep the place clean and prevent any dog related damage, you should be grand. The friends who took our cavs also did this exact same thing with their lab and gsd when their landlord was coming. They just dropped them off at our house. Twas the perfect crime. Although in their case they had to replace the lino and skirtings in the kitchen after the dogs had a marathon chew session one day!

hey adser53,

Would love to do that, but our landlord can just drop by whenever and all he needs to do is look in the backyard but believe me, I have definitely given that idea a thought!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As someone else asked, where are you based, how long before you could move and the size/type of dog involved.
    Someone may be able to help with that info.

Hey,

Ive been looking for places since I got him and there aren't many places in my price range that allow for dogs. So going to start looking for rural places. I'm in Dublin at the moment.

I would pay for all costs while my dog stays else where and would be hoping to come each day and walk/play with him and then take him to my OH's family home on weekends.

But then someone mentioned to me that it might not be fair on our dog because he wouldnt know who owns him!!

Im not sure what type of dog he is. Hes a beautiful black ball of fluff:p

We want him to be an outdoor dog as much as possible but we have done quite a bit of house training also and he's not quite there yet. When he's in our house he's fine, but when he's in someone elses house he seems to pee inside, so we have to work on that.

He gets on great with other dogs. My mate has 2 great danes and he barks alot at them and chases them away. After a while he was able to play a little with them. But with every other dog he seems to be friendly enough.

He's good around kids, but jumps up, so we are trying to teach him not to do this. He's great on his own, but prefers to be with people. Plays happily with his toys outside. Loves to go for walks and is great in cars.

The thing is that I dont know how long it will take to find another place so time scale is hard. And I dont know if I should just give him to someone that would be able to care for him instead of having him stay some place else, get fimiliar with that place and then uproot him again once I've found somewhere. My heart breaks even thinking about all this, but in the end I need to make a decision which is best for the pup and I just dont know what to do.

Hi Mymo, this is all the information I have on him.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It might be hard to find a fosterer for him, because there are so many dogs needing fostering but perhaps if you are thinking about going rurual you might be able to find a reliable and caring kennels (some awful ones around so be picky) that would perhaps take him for a set fee every week if you provide the food as well they might be able to work out a deal, it's not idea but it might be an option for you.

Would your friend with the Great Danes consider helping you out if you covered the dogs bills and took the dog out on weekends etc. perhaps offer to help with walking the Danes as well on the weekends.

Do you think it's worth asking the landlord if you signed an agreement that if the dog did any damage to the propertly that you are willing to pay?

Shame that landlords are so fussy esp. over one dog, with the amount of empty properties you would think they'd be happy to take on anyone pets or no pets as long as they were decent tenants.
    You're right though you might have more luck in more rural areas.

Perhaps try a few other animal sites like petsireland and irishanimals.ie to see if there is anyone that would consider fostering him.

Is he a big pup?

It might be hard to find a fosterer for him, because there are so many dogs needing fostering but perhaps if you are thinking about going rurual you might be able to find a reliable and caring kennels (some awful ones around so be picky) that would perhaps take him for a set fee every week if you provide the food as well they might be able to work out a deal, it's not idea but it might be an option for you.

Would your friend with the Great Danes consider helping you out if you covered the dogs bills and took the dog out on weekends etc. perhaps offer to help with walking the Danes as well on the weekends.

Do you think it's worth asking the landlord if you signed an agreement that if the dog did any damage to the propertly that you are willing to pay?

Shame that landlords are so fussy esp. over one dog, with the amount of empty properties you would think they'd be happy to take on anyone pets or no pets as long as they were decent tenants.
    You're right though you might have more luck in more rural areas.

Perhaps try a few other animal sites like petsireland and irishanimals.ie to see if there is anyone that would consider fostering him.

Is he a big pup?

Hey, Thanks for replying

My mate with the great danes live 2 hours away so not ideal. Landlord has many properties and doesnt allow any animals at any of his properties. I begged him to consider a bond incase of damage, but he was having none of it.
    I could definitely try a boarding kennel, would you have any recommendations in South Dublin area? And will give the animal sites a go as well.
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement