Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x04 "Pathogen" [Spoilers]

Options
  • 20-10-2010 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

What did you think of Pathogen 29 votes

Crazies Good
    0% 0 votes
    Think's its pretty tough
    20% 6 votes
    Destimeh
    37% 11 votes
    McKay
    27% 8 votes
    It's listing to port!
    13% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay it's basically an earth episode but it's balanced well. Greer gets to be a badass, the LA arc iterates on, and Rush goes Beautiful Mind. Unbelievable conniving behavior from him too, by the way. I'm anxious to know what he knows about The Mission and why he's so hellbent-paranoid about including anyone else. Getting very conceited about it too.

Even though you know it's coming for half the episode, the moment Eli's mom turns around is mildly touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

10% and im too intoxicated to watch, will post in the morning. that to me is about 9pm. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I felt the directing by Carlyle was pretty bad, he chopped every up into snippets, very choppy editing and way of stroytelling. Aww..bless Chloe!, she got a storyline from the producers and a reason to be on the show....bless her pouty lips.

Twas an ok ep. but a bit to much of a spoonful of this and a dollop of that, tryna cram too much into one ep. But various plot points got moved on a little bit i guess, Rush gets more crazy as the series goes on.

Btw....this second thread is poor form from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The miraculous healing of miraculous healing girl has finally dawned on them, well done geniouses!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Must be just me then but I thought it wasn't bad!

OK the bit with Eli's mom coming to visit was obvious but touching.. though I half-expected a squad of airmen to burst in when he started blabbing about the Stargate program to her in the hospital! :p

Thought Rush was finally going to get caught out about his access to the bridge, but have to admit he pinned it on Chloe pretty well while also misdirecting the attention to his "study room". I still don't see why Brody or Young don't just follow him when he goes off randomly.

What is the story with his ex/Franklin though. Presumably they are something generated by Destiny seeing as he's not talking to them anywhere else?

I have a feeling allowing Chloe to interface with the chair could come back to haunt them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I enjoyed this episode. If it has Rush being Machiavellian then I am all for it!

Quick question though, he was tinkering with the hyperdrive to get it to drop out of hyperspace when ever he wanted. What is the danger of this? Does it not just recorrect course if he leaves it alone and bring them to a planet with a gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the episode was very slow moving again .. i really do want the pace upped a bit still.

Random wrote: »
    the episode was very slow moving again .. i really do want the pace upped a bit still.
    I disagree I think it moved several things forward incrementality. The alternative is a string of incohesive episodes that push forward 1 or 2 themes at a time before returning to explore the others.

And now for next weak's Opener sneak peek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I enjoyed the Destiny based parts of this episode. I really want to see a little more information about destiny/ancients and it's mission revealed at this stage. That or Chloe turning into one of the blue aliens from season 1...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

That's it lads, game over...RIP SGU:

Stargate Universe
    - 0.974 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

That's it lads, game over...RIP SGU:

Stargate Universe
    - 0.974 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

People who only look at that figure are idiots!
    That's the US ratings. You forget Canada is another main base for SG fans, as well as the other international channels across the world, including it airing on Sky for us. SGU is faring better than other scifi shows such as Caprica at the moment!

Read, learn, stop being so negative: Linky link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i honestly dont know what you doing richard, you just seem check the rating then pop up in every forum of "underperforming" shows, while constantly forgeting polls, is there actually a tv show airing live now that your enjoying,

anyway back to the show i thought it was solid, showing some of the crews frustrations and a bit more power play,

eli and wrays girlfriend seem to be suffering the most, i doubth wrays girlfriend will be around for much longer shes extremely depressed and will either leave or harm herself, i think eli is gonna be more focused in finding a way home now, and with is new found commitment either decipers the anicent code himself or finds out rushes secret,

wray was undoubthedly playing off eli emotions by letting his mom come on board, and its hard to say if the LA leader was serious about them co-operating, did he just say that to wind-up t-bag cause hes to high strung and he needs to get him out of the way, or was he serious,

That's it lads, game over...RIP SGU: rabblesaurus rex
    That means you won't be popping in anymore I take it. Seeing as how you have no interest in the show.
    Adding to the competition this month are the Major League Baseball postseason games on FOX and TBS. Stargate and Caprica faced off against Game 4 of the ALCS (Yankees vs. Rangers), which grabbed 9.846 million viewers.
    Hell, I almost left the Yankees game on myself. Starts running right after the Office and SGU doesnt begin until somewhat later.

Thanks Gareth for Highlighting that other TV happens on that Television.
    I felt the directing by Carlyle was pretty bad, he chopped every up into snippets, very choppy editing and way of stroytelling.
    FWIW: I noticed it too but thought it helped. The alternative being one of those strange Earth-Episodes from season one where all you can do is wait to see some more Destiny scenes. To that note I think he did well not making us sit through a 10 minute Horse-pill of earth stuff.
    It looks like a similar thing will play out in the next episode, GlenDale. So it'll be nice to compare Carlyle's directing directly alongside the next episode, by Alex Chapele. The only one Alex has directed so far was Subversion, and it looks like the plots/themes are very similar. If you like the former, this may be good viewing coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Wish they would stop with these hackneyed musical bits, it really is tired and annoying. I liked where they are going with the Chloe thing but she still is pretty dull and uninteresting and it seems like they wrote this plot arc simply to keep her relevant.

Wish they would stop with these hackneyed musical bits, it really is tired and annoying.
    I think it's meant to replace the random time-jumps seen in SGA and SG-1. "Oh do you remember that [Ancient Weapon/Planet Exploring/Diplomatic Treaty] I've been working on for months? No? Months? Beuller?"

Instead the time pretty much burns at the end of the episode so it's less of a startle when theres a large break in the timeline between episodes. Worst offending SGU episode of not doing this of course: Time. :)
    I liked where they are going with the Chloe thing but she still is pretty dull and uninteresting and it seems like they wrote this plot arc simply to keep her relevant.
    Very true. Seems like an Archetype that looked good on paper and drew in viewers but is now stalling to develop anywhere. The glaring problem is Chloe's lack of credentials: She's just a politician's daughter. I can't even remember why exactly she was at Icarus, or why she was given that much clearance. Wikipedia says Her father had political oversight over the Stargate project trying to dial the ninth chevron. She holds a degree in political science from Harvard and she is also the aide of her father, Alan Armstrong, until he sacrifices himself in the pilot. - but tell me honestly, is that memorable? At all? And the hell is she going to do with a political science degree? Talk some aliens to death about Communism? Or (damned that I even thought it) Set up functioning fovernment on the ship -_- but thats already been handled by IOA lady and Col. Young. So again, her character is completely void of utility. You know, without being possessed by aliens.

Remember the last person on a stargate show that had a lead role and got an alien STD?

rainbow-sun-francks-3.jpg

If history tells us anything its that Alien-infected Lead-role Emo's don't fare well in Stargate :pac:

Whats funny is if they cast the guy who plays Greer to play - erm, that guy - they probably wouldn't have done off his character. Good actors make the roles, and no amount of writing can bandage that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Overheal wrote: »
    I think it's meant to replace the random time-jumps seen in SGA and SG-1. "Oh do you remember that [Ancient Weapon/Planet Exploring/Diplomatic Treaty] I've been working on for months? No? Months? Beuller?"

Instead the time pretty much burns at the end of the episode so it's less of a startle when theres a large break in the timeline between episodes. Worst offending SGU episode of not doing this of course: Time. :)

Very true. Seems like an Archetype that looked good on paper and drew in viewers but is now stalling to develop anywhere. The glaring problem is Chloe's lack of credentials: She's just a politician's daughter. I can't even remember why exactly she was at Icarus, or why she was given that much clearance. Wikipedia says Her father had political oversight over the Stargate project trying to dial the ninth chevron. She holds a degree in political science from Harvard and she is also the aide of her father, Alan Armstrong, until he sacrifices himself in the pilot. - but tell me honestly, is that memorable? At all? And the hell is she going to do with a political science degree? Talk some aliens to death about Communism? Or (damned that I even thought it) Set up functioning fovernment on the ship -_- but thats already been handled by IOA lady and Col. Young. So again, her character is completely void of utility. You know, without being possessed by aliens.
    I think her character is also suffering a little because of the sheer size of the cast. Having two other main female characters in Wray and Lieutenant Johnson has seriously side lined her and made an already dull character worse by lack of screen time.
    I'll go out on a limb here and guess that these changes might leave her with some abilities in the long run to make her relevant. Knowledge of language(s), planets etc. Will have to wait and see how this story arc pans out but I can't see them just leaving her as the one who rides Scott :pac:
    Overheal wrote: »
    Remember the last person on a stargate show that had a lead role and got an alien STD?

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/stargate-atlantis/images/rainbow-sun-francks-3.jpg

If history tells us anything its that Alien-infected Lead-role Emo's don't fare well in Stargate

Whats funny is if they cast the guy who plays Greer to play - erm, that guy - they probably wouldn't have done off his character. Good actors make the roles, and no amount of writing can bandage that fact.

I'm not sure if that's fair to the actor though, Ford was a boring character from the start and essentially just a sidekick for Sheppard. He spent lots of time on screen in the first series of SGA but was always just in a supporting role to Sheppard.
    Greer is a quick to anger badass who was waiting to be court-marshalled on icarus base. He isn't on screen near as much but when he is, he's often the focus of the scene, like his two altercations with Simeon in this episode. For that reason I think he stands out as an actor much more.

Sorry for straying off topic :D

No, let's go there :pac: Ford wasn't written boring he was just cast wrong. Francks just, imo, had no way of filling that role. He was too Boy-ish to be a Strongarm, which is what the role called for. Basically, he couldn't act tough enough. He could try, but he was completely unconvincing. They didn't need a wimpy kid that could act tough they needed a tough guy that could act wimpy (and then become tough). But they kept pushing this toughguy thing on the character/Francks despite it not working. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the guy's name being Rainbow, by the way. But, those problems made him an unappealing character to develop upon. Even in the Second season the other Characters, namely Shepphard, finally just unload on the kid and basically say he was a pansy little child from the beginning. Its in one of those episodes.

I think the same issue is springing up with Chloe. From the start they positioned her to be a vulnerable emo princess that didn't have anything in the way of spine, and they didn't really develop one for her either. As every other character on that show has developed (Eli, Rush, Young, Greer, Scott, Brody and most of the Supporting members) Chloe's gone nowhere. They're now in this terrible position where she's gotten stale.

This is their experiment for the character. The Ford Expirement 2.0, in all fairness. The advantage for Chloe though is Elyse Levesque would probably have not that much difficulty pulling a Sarah Kerrigan, if given a fraction of the opportunity. Or even, a Karen S'jet which is something I thought might have become of the first guy that used the chair. But, we'll see. High chance of failure though. If I had to put money on it though, Chloe will be the one with the keys to the ship.

don ramo wrote: »
    i honestly dont know what you doing richard, you just seem check the rating then pop up in every forum of "underperforming" shows, while constantly forgeting polls, is there actually a tv show airing live now that your enjoying,
    I have to agree.. naturally most people have an interest in whether a show they're enjoying is going to continue, but it seems to me that EVERY US-based TV thread I open has you (Richard) posting numbers and telling us it's all over.

For me anyway it just spoils things a bit - I quite LIKE SGU myself, and yes I may not be in the Neilsons catchment area but I'd rather enjoy the show while/for as long as it lasts rather than getting the weekly doom and gloom report in the episode discussion thread.

Maybe confine it to ONE "Ratings" thread in the main TV forum that people can check out as they want?

Greer is a quick to anger badass who was waiting to be court-marshalled on icarus base. He isn't on screen near as much but when he is, he's often the focus of the scene, like his two altercations with Simeon in this episode.
    MEant to mention that in my "review" earlier..

Is it just me or does anyone else keep waiting for Simeon to react with a T-Bag style quip, or come out with the slithery southern drawl - maybe call Greer "Pretty" a few times? :p

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Maybe confine it to ONE "Ratings" thread in the main TV forum that people can check out as they want?

i think you mean "the" rating thread that is at the top of the general TV forum as a sticky, and who is the one person who has never posted in it, :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259312

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    MEant to mention that in my "review" earlier..

Is it just me or does anyone else keep waiting for Simeon to react with a T-Bag style quip, or come out with the slithery southern drawl - maybe call Greer "Pretty" a few times? :p
    i wonder if he has pockets in that outfit, :P

does anyone know why exactly rush is constantly taking the ship out of ftl, we know he knows by now how to stop and start the ftl, we know he can detect gates and seeding ships, so what exactly is the purpose of these jumps out of ftl so soon, didnt he also say that if the engines dont run for 4 hours at a time it will damage them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

don ramo wrote: »
    does anyone know why exactly rush is constantly taking the ship out of ftl, we know he knows by now how to stop and start the ftl, we know he can detect gates and seeding ships, so what exactly is the purpose of these jumps out of ftl so soon, didnt he also say that if the engines dont run for 4 hours at a time it will damage them,

Didn't he mention that he was trying to play around with the clock? to try and control it! That's why he was getting pissed off every-time he dropped out of ftl and the clock started ticking!

I would assume he is waiting more than 4 hours before dropping it out of ftl

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I felt the directing by Carlyle was pretty bad, he chopped every up into snippets, very choppy editing and way of stroytelling. Aww..bless Chloe!, she got a storyline from the producers and a reason to be on the show....bless her pouty lips.

Twas an ok ep. but a bit to much of a spoonful of this and a dollop of that, tryna cram too much into one ep. But various plot points got moved on a little bit i guess, Rush gets more crazy as the series goes on.

Btw....this second thread is poor form from the OP.
    I agree, terrible directing made this episode even worse than it could have been. I get where they were going with the story, but it was just not done well. It ended up being quite boring TBH

Remember ratings posted are live ratings, and they do not include the +7 DVR viewing data which both Caprica and SGU do very well in.

Even a SyFy employee has said that it's too early to count out Caprica and SGU for renewal.

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/7896/dont-count-caprica-sgu-out-just-yet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

OisinT wrote: »
    I agree, terrible directing made this episode even worse than it could have been. I get where they were going with the story, but it was just not done well. It ended up being quite boring TBH

I found Season 1 to be seriously boring and I'm actually enjoying season 2 more!

Each to their own I suppose! I hope they don't cancel it!
    I don't watch Caprica and this is pretty much the only sci fi buzz I get!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've enjoyed most episodes so far.

This was the first one that I switched off halfway through as I wasn't bothered. I went back to it later to finish it off but only in the hope that it picked up and it didn't really.

I enjoyed the story with Elis mom.
    Rushs going off to another control room is beginning to annoy me. With a team of scientists and military on the ship nobody is noticing him sneaking off every time the ship seems to do something weird. Why is he stopping the ship and changing course? Why is nobody able to figure out that hes doing this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Really enjoyed it i have to say. Give Greer some ass kicking screen time please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Ignoring the fact that there was huge competition (baseball I think?) that night, it's helpful to understand the bear analogy. If you're in the woods with a mate, and a bear starts chasing you, you don't need to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your mate friend!
    Caprica is now down in 700,000 territory and has floated around that for a while. SGU is floating around the million mark. It's not safe, but it's not 100% cancelled yet. SO far Syfy has nothing to replace it

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Ignoring the fact that there was huge competition (baseball I think?) that night, it's helpful to understand the bear analogy. If you're in the woods with a mate, and a bear starts chasing you, you don't need to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your mate friend!
    Caprica is now down in 700,000 territory and has floated around that for a while. SGU is floating around the million mark. It's not safe, but it's not 100% cancelled yet. SO far Syfy has nothing to replace it
    The simple fact with any SyFy show, especially on a competitive night is that you cannot make any judgements until you see the +7 DVR figures.

Advertisement