Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOBS FOR THE GIRLS

Options
  • 20-10-2010 5:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey all

Just arrived in Sydney and I'm looking for work. There seems to be alot of bar/ waiting/ barrista jobs available. My only problem is I've no experience in any of these areas, does this matter , should I just apply anyway and hope for the best????
    What types of jobs are other women doing out here that they could recommend??
    Thaks J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Jack, I've been having the same problem, well more or less.

I'm in Perth, broke and on the verge of giving up. I'm low in the experience department, none in bar/restaurant jobs at all. I'm looking for for unskilled work in a factory or office or something like that. All the jobs I'm looking at require years of experience, which I'm not suprised about to be honest, it was the same in Ireland.

If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful to read it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CatchLight wrote: »
    Jack, I've been having the same problem, well more or less.

I'm in Perth, broke and on the verge of giving up. I'm low in the experience department, none in bar/restaurant jobs at all. I'm looking for for unskilled work in a factory or office or something like that. All the jobs I'm looking at require years of experience, which I'm not suprised about to be honest, it was the same in Ireland.

If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful to read it too.

Have you tried retail in Perth? The likes of Target always have casual work going which is 30 hours a week and a good hourly rate.

Are you being picky?

Funny you should say that Xavi! I'm just preparing my 'Retail' CV, even though I haven't worked in a shop in years!!

And to answer your question, yes I was being picky when I first arrived. To be honest retail was my last resort as I found it soul destroying when I worked there before. Sadly, I can't be picky anymore!! :)

(I missed out on a job here because I couldn't lift 25kg (repeatedly), maybe I need to start weight-lifting!!! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I agree it is soul destroying to go back to retail. I had to do it when I first came out here and it was horrible. However it paid the bills which was one thing off my mind while looking for something better.

If you need a hand with anything just drop me a PM :)

Oh yeah I totally agree! Watching the bank balance disappear is the most stressful part. Thanks Xavi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of girls, esp in sydney, do traffic control.
    Pretty good way to meet other people. Pay is apparently good, and the hours are early shifts, so you have evenings (unless on nights, which is double time anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Hve you any admin/office experiance, seems to be a nice few of them in Sydney, have been looking online, am heading there in April and hope to do that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jack128

Yeah hae done some office work although that was years ago. Wouldn't mind retail, think I may just pound the streets looking for that kind of job!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

Mellor wrote: »
    A lot of girls, esp in sydney, do traffic control.
    Pretty good way to meet other people. Pay is apparently good, and the hours are early shifts, so you have evenings (unless on nights, which is double time anyway)
    what is traffic control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

horse7 wrote: »
    what is traffic control.

They hold STOP/GO/SLOW signs around construction on the roads, also at the gate of any large construction site they help direct the trucks in and out of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

jack128 wrote: »
    My only problem is I've no experience in any of these areas, does this matter

Doesn't matter at all Jack, most pubs will train you apart from probably cocktail bars. You just need to do your RSA before you work in a bar is all. Scruffys regularly hire Irish girls to work there probably seen its an Irish bar. I had a friend who was fresh off the boat a few months back with no bar or waitressing experience either and they hired her?. So you should be grand.

Traffic control seems to be popular alright, I heard figures of $1200 a week. :eek: 30 something bucks an hour if you work Sundays apparently. Not only that but you get an awesome yellow jacket too! :pac:

If you like working outdoors, traffic control would prob suit better. I'd say it would be a killer in the summer sun though.

Advertisement