Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox Live set-up and gold or silver membership?

• 20-10-2010 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey i've had xbox 360 a few years now and still havnt set up live yet. i tried doing it once but had no idea what i was doing and i had no gold membership but i thought i could connect anyway because of the silver?

anyway could someone please explain a dummie guide or how to set up live from scratch and what i need and all?

thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

First, you need to buy a Gold membership. Buy it in a game shop.
    On the dashboard (the startup menu of your Xbox), press the middle button on your controller to bring up the menu.
    I think you press 'left' once on the controller and there should be an option 'Redeem code'.
    Scratch the silver stuff off the back of the Gold membership card.
    Type that code into the text field for 'redeem code'.

To the best of my memory, that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

If you just want to set up a Silver membership then you wont need to buy anything. Simply use your ethernet cable to connect to you're modem/router and when you hit the guide button you should see 'Join xbox live' in the main menu.And if it's a first hand console then there should be a 1 month free trial for the gold membership. Xbox live is brilliant in my opinion I don't think I could ever go without it :P

Oh and if you're wanting to set it up wirelessly then you will need to pick up a wireless network adapter. And you might want to check out the Tutorial thread for changing your NAT setting's if you don't know how. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

sorry for the hi-jack

but i have an xbox probably 5 years old rarely used.
    never had bb at home so now only looking into connecting to online stuff
    will be connecting wireless from eircom router

so as far as i can make out i need a Wireless N Network WiFi Adapter For Microsoft XBOX 360,there is a g or n type which is better,is there anything else needed,also looks like my router might be a problem too
    as i'm not too techy is it worth the hassle or will i have a mental breakdown trying to get this up and running......

also does it use much of the allowence, i have 30 gb thanks

bit new to this so all help greatly appreciated,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

soundsham wrote: »
    sorry for the hi-jack

but i have an xbox probably 5 years old rarely used.
    never had bb at home so now only looking into connecting to online stuff
    will be connecting wireless from eircom router

so as far as i can make out i need a Wireless N Network WiFi Adapter For Microsoft XBOX 360,there is a g or n type which is better,is there anything else needed,also looks like my router might be a problem too
    as i'm not too techy is it worth the hassle or will i have a mental breakdown trying to get this up and running......

also does it use much of the allowence, i have 30 gb thanks

bit new to this so all help greatly appreciated,

The Type N is better if your eircom router (and everything else on the network) supports type N. Otherwise I'd go for the type G as its typically cheaper.

Gameplay itself uses very little of your allowance, probably a few hundred MBs a month if you use it a lot.
    Your only problem might be if your downloaded a lot of demo's etc, these can be over 1 GB in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40ac0c84a417420e7fcca7027d7685fb911.jpg

its the zytel eircom router,
    from what i see there's a few threads about these and xbox problems

dont know if its a type n or g wifi adapter required
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

That's a G. Don't buy the N grade wireless network adapter because it will just downgrade itself to a G. Just get yourself the one pronged adapter for cheaper.And yeah there is plenty of threads about how to set up the connection and most people seem pretty helpfull to answer any question's :)

Advertisement