Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hands like blocks of Ice

• 20-10-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As I came across to work this morning atop my trusty steed, I thought to myself..... ooh my god, I can't feel my fingers!!!

So my question to you this fine fresh morning is muffs of winter gloves? What would you advise? Also where can I get them and how much do they cost. Cheers. Aaaand heated grips, are they worth the bother and could I fit them to a 125 Varadero?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

As I came across to work this morning atop my trusty steed, I thought to myself..... ooh my god, I can't feel my fingers!!!

So my question to you this fine fresh morning is muffs of winter gloves? What would you advise? Also where can I get them and how much do they cost. Cheers. Aaaand heated grips, are they worth the bother and could I fit them to a 125 Varadero?

I had a tdr 125 a few years ago and got wind deflectors for the grips. Worked fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Heated grips my man.

Also putting the bike in neutral traffic lights and putting your hands on the engine to warm 'em up is awesome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I use thermal glove liners. Of course, they don't work. It's more psychological.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unfortunately mittens are the best against your hands freezing up, then followed by wind deflectors and heated grips and then all the other options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

however, be wary of putting nylon (or was it polyester) anything near the block, melted my tesco pants to my leg coming home from work one night, trying to warm my leg up a bit....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wind electors or muffs combined with heated grips should be standard upgrades to any bike you use year round
    It means you can wear de end gloves instead of bulky winter ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tigger wrote: »
    Wind electors or muffs combined with heated grips should be standard upgrades to any bike you use year round
    It means you can wear de end gloves instead of bulky winter ones

but they look uncool :(

I place my hands on the frame instead of directly on the engine block - partly because the fairing covers it, and partly because the frame is a nicer temperature.

Personally I've never had any issues with melting anything on the engine block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

had heated grips and hand guards on my old vara 125 - worked a treat - just make sure heated grips are run through the ignition and not direct off the battery or you'll find yourself pushing the bike home some evening.....

nereid wrote: »
    but they look uncool :(

I place my hands on the frame instead of directly on the engine block - partly because the fairing covers it, and partly because the frame is a nicer temperature.

Personally I've never had any issues with melting anything on the engine block.

wind deflectors dont look un cool

67.JPG

i have theze on my tdm

thats no mine mine has accerbis gaurds as in the top pic butmine has the r1 brake conversion and is the same colour and condition
    similar exhaust too

22149_269823787668_622642668_3408726_6191258_n.jpg

and the spolier bit really helps think they suit the look

wind deflectors dont look un cool

They do on a SV1000...

Have the courier mitts, which work to a point and do look terrible especially on my bike. Either way I replaced them with a cage for the coming winter... :( or :) depending on how you look at it.

• Advertisement

i like them on an sv1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

deflectors (bark busters or whatever) would look good on a varadero I'd say

can try a pair of surgical gloves under your normal gloves

thankfully (?) plenty of lights on the way into work in the AM, so lotsa opportunities for engine + hand warming :)

i like them on an sv1000

There's a pic somewhere on ibf of my bike with them on. If I find it you might regret saying that :)

i like the acribs bushgaurds on them not the courier mitts

or is it the blue one i like the blue one

i like the acribs bushgaurds on them not the courier mitts

or is it the blue one i like the blue one

:o

find a picture of the blue one with the same spoilers i haave and see how well it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weatfest

I've been using these, Hein Gericke 3 finger Pathan glove, for a few years now and have found them better than any glove. Used them all through last winter with some inner gloves when the weather was extreme. I'm on the road at 4.30am 5 days a week so they get a good testing when the ice arrives.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/6_144/products_id/3688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I just bought a set of R&G Heated grips ... would these be easy to fit? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weatfest

GBX wrote: »

There was a free home workshop guide with MCN last week and fitting heated grips was covered in it,if you can get a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

weatfest wrote: »
    There was a free home workshop guide with MCN last week and fitting heated grips was covered in it,if you can get a copy.

Thanks .. ill have a look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

GBX wrote: »

Bring it to a mechanic and get it hooked up via ignition relay, if not there's a fair chance you'll leave them on and end up walking home :pac:

Advertisement