Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Meat Boy

Options
  • 20-10-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Out today on XBLA, and its getting great reviews. It was also reduced in price from 1200 to 800 (until November), so its even more tempting. There are around 300 levels altogether (with tons of secrets, warps, unlockable characters and more) so value for money is an understatement.

IGN Review:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'm looking forward to playing this now, despite the fact that I tend to have a bit of a short fuse when it comes to frustrating games. From what I gather though Super Meatboy controls so well, that it helps with the frustration factor because you know it's your fault that you died not the game's.

Giant Bomb did a good quick look of it too.

Giant Bomb Quicklook

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's available to download now. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a go there, really like it. Unlocking
    the Bit.trip Commander
    was a nice surprise!

This and Costume Quest = a good day for the Arcade!

God damn it's good. Enjoying the hell out of it. Tough, but not in a cheap way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

800 points you say? Well that does sweeten the deal

/goes off to try the demo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Have they made any mention of the WiiWare release date does anyone know?

the amount of swearing this game has caused here already is shocking especially the 1st boss level :D

This has to be one of the most satisfying games I've played in ages. Of course to balance that out, you have some really tough parts. Nothing beats that sense of achievement when you finally manage to get through especially difficult parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Dying has never been so enjoyable :P

Now the decision becomes if i should step up from the trial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I adore this game..... pure unadulterated (hard core) fun. I can't remember a game where I have sworn like a f%&$ing sailor and laughed in equal measures.

Some of those bandages are a bitch to get... I can't imagine what later levels are going to be like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have they made any mention of the WiiWare release date does anyone know?

Supermeatboy.com didn't mention dates only that it was coming to Wii Ware. Bloody brilliant game altogether.

Dying has never been so enjoyable :P

Now the decision becomes if i should step up from the trial :D

Up to the 3rd section and little if any repetition so far in about 40 levels or so
    Mr E wrote: »
    I adore this game..... pure unadulterated (hard core) fun. I can't remember a game where I have sworn like a f%&$ing sailor and laughed in equal measures.

Some of those bandages are a bitch to get... I can't imagine what later levels are going to be like.

You said it, when I do a new level I get pretty far then die, after that 1st run I find I die more quickly as I'm thinking about it too much, or quick on the trigger to get back into it making 10 suicide leaps in a row at one point :D

Those bandages f@#k sake :mad:, i suspect some are not actually obtainable until you unlock some characters and go back? I just got Gish and netted a few with him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just been playing it there. Fairly decent! Good fun, only other platformer this year besides SMG2 that I really enjoyed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This game makes ne cry wonderful tears of pain.

The bandages are so near, yet so unbearably far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Tough enough game and I've only really started! As said above, it's not cheap though in the way that you die...Great challenges added with the bandages and the requirement to get an A+ to unlock the Dark world (a challenge unto themselves!).

Definately a few grrr moments - had done the first couple of levels and saw that it shows a replay of your runs - ok but not very interesting. Once I hit a level where I was dying it became necessary to pass and then the replay was quite a cool touch - seeing that I only made close to the end twice (and relived that painful moment of falling short once).

🤪

This game makes ne cry wonderful tears of pain.

The bandages are so near, yet so unbearably far!

The best is when you finally grab the bandage you've spent the last half an hour trying to get only to run straight into a saw as you land.

Aghhhhhhhhhhh this is driving me insane.

And those warp zone levels, breeze through the 1st 2 and then rapidly lose your 3 lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

hmmm....I appear to have lost some progress! Highly irritating...

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    hmmm....I appear to have lost some progress! Highly irritating...

Are you using the new xbox dashboard? Same thing happened to me back to the 2nd world, among other issue I have with that dash :mad:

My new obsession with it is now the leaderboards, have been going back to the earlier stages to try and improve my times, going to try and get par time in all the dark world stages too up until the point when I finally turn insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I found that if you quit to dash, you can lose progress. Exit the game through the menu system.

I also had an issue where I was downloading Costume Quest while playing, and it kicked me out to the main menu when the game finished downloading (so don't download while playing)

Mr E wrote: »
    I also had an issue where I was downloading Costume Quest while playing, and it kicked me out to the main menu when the game finished downloading (so don't download while playing)

Yeah that's happened to me twice when stuff was downloading in the background. Strange and annoying glitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Has there been any mention of this game coming to the PSN?

They said during development that it would never come to PSN, not sure why they were so adamant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

They said during development that it would never come to PSN, not sure why they were so adamant.

Well it might just be my first purchase on Wii Ware if that is true. Although I'd much rather PSN for the Trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Probably too lazy to port it to suit the cell. Pretty stupid stance imo.

Probably too lazy to port it to suit the cell. Pretty stupid stance imo.

I doubt they are too lazy, the two guys built the game pretty much on their own it seems to have been a real labour of love. I'm sure their reason is entirely stupid if it isn't a deal with Microsoft.

The second level in the
    Jill
    unlock warpzone (after I had to google how to use her special ability since the game didn't tell me!) is the closest I've come to TV breaking yet. And then along came the second boss, which kept throwing more and more death traps at me. But the pure joy of finally making it - and the game isn't unfair, you're just **** - makes it all worthwhile.

I love this game: it's like getting punched in the face, but in the nicest way possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A cracking game alright, I like the persistent blood left after you expire!
    But isn't it all very like N+ on the DS?
    You're a tiny ninja jumping around perilous levels, finding switches to open the exit.
    Well worth a look until Super Meat Boy gets to the DS, which it surely must!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A cracking game alright, I like the persistent blood left after you expire!
    But isn't it all very like N+ on the DS?
    You're a tiny ninja jumping around perilous levels, finding switches to open the exit.
    Well worth a look until Super Meat Boy gets to the DS, which it surely must!

N+ is on Xbox Live too.

Super Meat Boy is coming to the Wii and PC too apparently.

Advertisement