Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor clueless on the porting process?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Basically, I've given my 30 day notice to O2 of my intention to leave (o2 clear). Been a customer for 12 years, decent average monthly spend, cited poor coverage in apartment. Customer service didn't bat an eyelid or ask any further. Typical of the greatly disimproved level of service over recent months.

Intended on moving to Meteor Bill Pay Smart Lite. And noted it's reduced from 50 to 40 for a 'limited period' on the website.

Called them up asking about how I move to them. ie. Do I wait til the 12 November, can I start processing the order now and have the move completed on the 12.

Basically, they didn't know. She was clueless. I asked her, for example, if they started processing the order before the 12 would o2 even allow the number to be ported? Would the number be active immediately on Meteor? Would I be a few weeks without a number?

She had no idea. :confused: She said I have to start the porting process with no idea of how long it will take, with no guarantee I won't have a period where I've no service, with no idea whether o2 will release the number etc. etc.

I'm sort of taken aback. I thought they'd at least be able to explain the bloody porting process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

meteor/emobile/eircom, customer care is rubbish, they have a complete apathy for their customers.

Classic flex Max sim only is worth a look, it's a tenner cheaper and you can get 4GB of data and a proper 3G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Go into a shop a day or two before your contract is due to end and sign up. O2 will release the number and the porting process (when it works) should take about three hours. During that time your old sim card will still work but at some stage will lose connection and then your new sim should be active.

Go in early because porting is only done during business hours so if you go in late it might not go through until the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

quad_red wrote: »
    Basically, I've given my 30 day notice to O2 of my intention to leave (o2 clear). Been a customer for 12 years, decent average monthly spend, cited poor coverage in apartment. Customer service didn't bat an eyelid or ask any further. Typical of the greatly disimproved level of service over recent months.

Intended on moving to Meteor Bill Pay Smart Lite. And noted it's reduced from 50 to 40 for a 'limited period' on the website.

Called them up asking about how I move to them. ie. Do I wait til the 12 November, can I start processing the order now and have the move completed on the 12.

Basically, they didn't know. She was clueless. I asked her, for example, if they started processing the order before the 12 would o2 even allow the number to be ported? Would the number be active immediately on Meteor? Would I be a few weeks without a number?

She had no idea. :confused: She said I have to start the porting process with no idea of how long it will take, with no guarantee I won't have a period where I've no service, with no idea whether o2 will release the number etc. etc.

I'm sort of taken aback. I thought they'd at least be able to explain the bloody porting process.
    I'd say you'd probably have to ask O2 about that & not Meteor, if you're contract is with O2 it's up to them to release the service I'd say.
    If you've poor coverage in your apt then why are you moving to Meteor?? (It piggybacks off the O2 network!!)
    Agree with you about the customer service though, I left vodafone because they were trying to boot everyone off the old plans by changing the off peaks hours to after 6pm only & suddenly not including weekends anymore...Ridiculous! I ported my ass outta there! :)

eveya wrote: »
    (It piggybacks off the O2 network!!)

That's an Urban legend and i've ofter heard meteor/emobile store staff claiming it, It's pure rubbish, they do not have a roaming agreement with o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

To be fair Meteor can port your number in at any time you specify, thats your call and it will only take approx 2 Hours, you need to be asking 02 those questions, I wouldn't blame the customere care agent for not knowing, how would they know if O2 would release your number or not.

Meteor Piggy back on Vodafone not O2 and this is only in remote areas in the west of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The lads have pretty much explained what the OP was looking for above.

I just have 1 point to note; OP states that he gave O2 30 day notice that he intends to port off - this 30 day notice is not necessary when porting (in fact i've seen it cause complications). once you're outside your minimum contract term you're free to port as you wish.

i've seen instances where a customer has given 30 days notice of cancellation and on day 31 goes to the new network to port - the port fails. Why? The number is no longer ACTIVE on the donor network and thus cannot be ported. This generally leads to an aggravated conversation between a network rep and a former customer. . .just to let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

That's an Urban legend and i've ofter heard meteor/emobile store staff claiming it, It's pure rubbish, they do not have a roaming agreement with o2.

As Max Power mentioned, Meteor have a national roaming agreement with Vodafone for the parts of west Ireland that they don't have coverage in. With that said, Meteor's national roaming agreement used to be with O2 so it's not as if it's an "Urban legend", just that it's not currently accurate. ;)

Rsaeire wrote: »
    it's not currently accurate

I was told it by a girl in emobile last week, where you don't have emobile coverage you have o2 coverage:rolleyes:

From my experience where you don't have meteor coverage you don't have coverage unless your in the wilds of mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I was told it by a girl in emobile last week, where you don't have emobile coverage you have o2 coverage:rolleyes:

The part of my post you quoted was in regard to O2 not currently providing national roaming coverage for Meteor, not that Meteor/emobile staff don't still say it.

eveya wrote: »
    If you've poor coverage in your apt then why are you moving to Meteor?? (It piggybacks off the O2 network!!)

That is incorrect

That is partially correct. They piggy back off vodafone, as you can see here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cwidojauidcw/ and here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1114/meteor-business.html. They used to piggy back off O2, as you can see here: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/meteor-coverage-grows-in-roaming-deal-with-o2-158480.html and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_%28mobile_network%29#Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well, last week given the Meteor smart sim only offer (40 p/m instead of 50p/m) I joined Meteor Sim Free on their website.

Tuesday 2 November: Signed up online. Got email with confirmation number and told that I would receive a contract within 48 hours.
    Tuesday 9 November: No contact. Have been trying to call Meteor on the number provided on the email all morning but keep getting cut off after about 10 seconds (I've had no other problems with any other number this morning).

Is Meteor phone system down? How long does it generally take for them to send out the contract etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Jesus Christ! :mad:

I called the general customer number (because I kept on being disconnected from 1800 638 367) yesterday morning. The gentleman I was put through to could not help but offered to take my details for the girl who handles orders who was away from her desk. Around midday yesterday a girl left a voicemail saying that Meteor had sent an email and that if I wanted to continue with the order I would have to give a fifty euro deposit and I should call the customer care line if I wanted to continue with the order.

Now, I find this extraordinary. I signed up as a new customer on the 2 November and was told I would be sent further details by mail. I heard nothing so I called Meteor on 9 November and received a vague voicemail in response. The voicemail is unclear - I'm not sure whether she was saying that Meteor sent out an email last week or an email yesterday. Either way, I had no email beyond the initial order confirmation (and yes, I checked my spam folder etc.)

Then a Meteor representative made contact through this site. Might I commend her on her manners and helpfulness - she was the only Meteor employee to show either competency or manners.

Then I get a call from Meteor saying they want a fifty euro deposit which will be refunded after seven months. Now, if they had said this at the start I may have agreed. But at this point, given the unhelpful and standoffish nature of communications so far (the very nice lady who contacted me through boards not included), I cancelled the order. Said I wasn't interested. The standard of service was appalling so far and I had no interest in being a customer of Meteor.

To emphasize: I cancelled the order.

And now I get an email saying that Meteor cannot process my application and if I want details of why I have to contact their Credit Control Section. I CANCELLED MY ORDER! I should be explaining to them why I cancelled it!

Will this show up on my credit rating as a refusal?

Now, if they had said this at the start I may have agreed
    Asking for deposits is standard practise and they couldn't have told you beforehand because it's decided (automatically) whether or not you'll be asked for a deposit during the application procedure.
    Will this show up on my credit rating as a refusal?

No

Advertisement