Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rui Costa tested Positive...

• 20-10-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised the ever vigilant SSB didn't spot this but Rui Costa (Caisse d’Epargne) has returned a positive A sample for the banned stimulant methylhexanamida. Costa tested positive from a sample taken after the Portuguese time trial championships in June of this year.

He released the following statement:

"Following the news released today (18-10-2010) in the newspaper" A Bola "indicating that I, Rui Costa, and my brother Mario Costa took Metilhexanamina (which became prohibited in 2010) in the national championship time trial we clarify the following:

1. We have only taken on the advice of a nutritionist, a food supplement based on "arginine" that was contaminated with the substance, being completely unknown to us that the food supplement containing any prohibited substance.

2. After receiving the letter stating the positive, we wanted a mistake, because we had not taken anything forbidden (in the supplement label does not contain anything illegal indicated) and decided to make a second counter-analysis that certified the results of the previous.

3. That said, we decided to analyze the nutritional supplement send in a laboratory certified by the UCI confirmed the contamination Metilhexanamina.

4. We never had the intention of doping, as riders were always honest and always act with complete good faith.

5. We await the outcome of the case, trusting that the truth will prevail and that we can demonstrate that no fault in what happened. We ask your understanding and hope that justice is done. "

The interesting thing is that he was a Bike Pure rider, the statement on their site and the way they've treated this doesn't encourage me in anyway shape or form. Anyways comments welcome..

http://bikepure.org/2010/10/sad-day/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Here's an idea: don't take any "supplements".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »

Agree completely. It's sounding like a broken record at this stage when contaminated supplements/foodstuffs/OTC medicines are blamed.

Unfortunately in this case an amphetamine like substance taken for a national champs TT sounds deliberate and logical for someone determined to cheat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylhexanamine#cite_note-3

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Honestly I was thinking, "why would he be on drugs he retired two years ago?"

I saw him play in san siro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8638727.stm
    shawn merrit, olympic and world 400m champion banned

anyone want to tell me other sports dont have the same problem ?

next time someone says all cyclists are dopers throw that at them

(another nigerian woman positive at the commonwealth games, smacks of organised doping that went wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

But I love a bit of methylhexanamida with me porridge in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Junior wrote: »
    The interesting thing is that he was a Bike Pure rider, the statement on their site and the way they've treated this doesn't encourage me in anyway shape or form.

In what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8638727.stm
    shawn merrit, olympic and world 400m champion banned

next time someone says all cyclists are dopers throw that at them

(another nigerian woman positive at the commonwealth games, smacks of organised doping that went wrong)

How does bringing up doping in other sports disprove institutionalised doping in cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

MrCreosote wrote: »
    How does bringing up doping in other sports disprove institutionalised doping in cycling?

yeah that's what I term the 'Michael Lowry Defence'..."sure fair play to him theyre all at it"

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

on a technical level ...

is it even possible that a stimulant like methylhexanamida can somehow contaminate a regular food supplement?

seems like there's a lot of cyclists having a lot of bad luck with this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

DeadMan1 wrote: »
    seems like there's a lot of cyclists having a lot of bad luck with this

In the same way they had a lot of bad luck with CERA EPO a few years ago?

The contaminated supplement excuse is the equivalent of the dog ate my homework these days.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I reckon they are going in the sin bin too.
    They didn't read the rule book.
    From UCI Anti-doping rule violations
    21. The following constitute anti-doping rule violations:
    1. The presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers in a Rider’s bodily Specimen.

1.1 It is each Rider’s personal duty to ensure that no Prohibited Substance enters his body.

Riders are responsible for any Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers found to be present in their bodily Specimens. Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent, fault, negligence or knowing Use on the Rider’s part be demonstrated in order to establish an antidoping violation under article 21.1.

Warning:
    1) Riders must refrain from using any substance, foodstuff, food supplement or drink of which they do not know the composition. It must be emphasized that the composition indicated on a product is not always complete. The product may contain Prohibited Substances not listed in the composition.

And also from Cycling Ireland.
    It is therefore necessary to ensure that any dietary supplement, that includes for example energy bars, preduring and post competition drinks, vitamin, mineral, herbal or ergogenic aids do not contain any substance that could lead to an adverse finding in the event of an Anti Doping Test.
    Cycling Ireland would recommend, based on research, the avoidance of all supplements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

RobFowl wrote: »
    Agree completely. It's sounding like a broken record at this stage when contaminated supplements/foodstuffs/OTC medicines are blamed.

Unfortunately in this case an amphetamine like substance taken for a national champs TT sounds deliberate and logical for someone determined to cheat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylhexanamine#cite_note-3

True bar the fact it's been found as containment in the supplement. While I agree in principle with the idea of no supplements, where do you stop ? Should cyclists be restricted to drinking water on the bike ? Where to next, the UCI approved chocolate and coke ?
    Raam wrote: »
    In what way?

In their post they state

Costa along with his brother Mario, both tested positive for the same substance which they claim was ingested in a dietary supplement. We really hope for all concerned that this is the case. Like all fair systems he must be offered the chance to appeal, a right that everyone deserves.

Then they go ahead to say
    As with all (excluding Costa) the riders who align with our organisation, they are fully aware of the damage doping is doing to the sport of cycling.

Which basically contradicts the fair system idea, straight away he's a doper and guilty. If a person takes the time out to believe in you and your system of belief you should believe in the person. At first smell of **** they ran, and badly distanced themselves from him, they removed the page with him on it before they released the statement.

Someone else also had to publish his statement in the comments they've not republished them as a clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cycling and Athletics are the 2 sports that offer the most performance increase via doping, and both generate serious money.

I would lump the 2 sports in with each other, both rotten to the core for decades.

Advertisement