Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend some good long finger gloves

• 20-10-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

bit chilly in the short finger gloves this morn!

willing to spend for a good pair.

pref water/windproof.

are assos only ones worth considering?

thanks!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Firstly the Assos (851) ones are not waterproof - they were absolutely fine in this morning's sub zero (realfeel -4 degrees) commute though. They are warm enough and allow maximum "feeling" in the fingers

When it gets really cold, I tend to use windstopper gloves - a bit thicker, and cosy enough - still not waterproof though (although quite a lot cheaper than Assos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This morning I used these: Sugoi Firewall Winter cycling glove.

Just heavy enough for cold mornings, but not freezing cold. They are pretty lightweight and very snug, I also have the seal skinz winter ones which are too bulky and awkward for anything but the coldest/snowiest conditions. These ones have that "I don't feel like I'm wearing gloves" quality.

There are a few negative reviews on wiggle, but to be honest you really need a medium and heavy pair of winter gloves, one set won't suit all conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

yeah i don't like the idea of anything too bulky.

should i just dismiss the waterproof idea and go for warmth and compactness instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

BBB Aquashield are great.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

G rock wrote: »
    yeah i don't like the idea of anything too bulky.

should i just dismiss the waterproof idea and go for warmth and compactness instead?

It depends really, how many wet days do we really get? Waterproof gloves tend to be pretty unbreathable, so your hands can end up sweating inside which is both uncomfortable and, well, wet.

Like I said, I think the more gloves you have the better, that way you are prepared for pretty much every eventuality. I don't know how waterproof those Sugoi gloves are, if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

bcmf wrote: »

I have a pair of those DeFeet DuraGlove Merino gloves. I bought them earlier this year and I am only getting to try them out now. So far I've used them on my commute only, so for no more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time. I've certainly found them effective, but the coldest I've tried them in was this morning and this morning didn't really feel that cold on my route (e.g. I was just wearing regular thin socks inside my cycling shoes and my toes only felt a little bit chilly for the first half mile or so).

So while I can't comment on how effective they'll be on a long spin on a really cold day, so far I like them a lot as they are thin enough to still allow you to feel your fingers and the grips on the palms are effective too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Just to add, I also have a pair of Assos gloves too and I like them. I bought the set with a liner and outer/lobster layer too - the set isn't cheap but I'm hoping that it'll cover me for everything from the slightly cold weather to the very cold weather. I wasn't out in the coldest of the weather last winter but any cold rides I did do were fine with just the Assos liner and the mid glove/layer (i.e. didn't have to resort to the outer/lobster layer).

I bought the DeFeet gloves to try out as a cheaper alternative for my commute but while I don't think they'll cover the same range of temperatures as the Assos glove set I certainly find them comparable to the regular/mid Assos glove/layer from the set. Mind you, that's based on very little exposure to cold weather yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

BBB Aquashield are great.

I hate BBB stuff. Hate it. Its the Tesco Value of the bike world, bland uninspired, cheap, mostly rubbish, barely functional but occasionally (once in a blue moon) as good as the higher brand stuff.

This is one such occasion. I find the BBB Aquashield gloves to be the best, warmest gloves I have had in many years. I struggle to think of better ones, regardless of brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DLK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Pennys wolly gloves about a euro a pair....don't mind the fancy schmalarky stuff

Advertisement