Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoldering bushes at Monasterevin exit on M7

Options
  • 20-10-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Tell me I'm not the only one that's seen this. 2 big bushes on the left hand side in the field before the monasterevin exit on the motorway (heading towards Laois) There's been smoke comining out of the centre of them every day for weeks now. It couldnt be simple fires as they'd be burnt away by now or at least put out with the rain.
    Is it a sign? Is there a group of hobos living in them? Is it the secret underground lair of Brian Cowen as he plots the ruin of our country? God damn it I wanna know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Your name isn't Moses by any chance?

Moses_Pluchart.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Video or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

ILA wrote: »
    Video or GTFO!

Im gonna stop on the way home and get a video! Knowing my luck it'll be gone by then!

Ok here's a video of it ILA. I just uploaded it now so it's not viewable yet (still has to be processed or something)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnerxGzPP00

And in the mean time here's a pic...

IMAG0313.jpg

I didn't see anything holy about it but at least here's proof I didn't imagine it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Its how the farmer gets rid of the bushes,happens all the time on the curragh they slowly burn from the inside out,not sure why they do it this way but thats what it is.

• Advertisement

adser53 wrote: »
    Ok here's a video of it ILA. I just uploaded it now so it's not viewable yet (still has to be processed or something)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnerxGzPP00

And in the mean time here's a pic...

IMAG0313.jpg

I didn't see anything holy about it but at least here's proof I didn't imagine it :D

And this has been happening for three days?! That's the type of thing that could turn Monsterevin into another Knock, you'd better keep it "hush hush"!

No not 3 days! At least 2 or 3 weeks in the same 2 bushes!
    Spurs I've seen that done before too but not like this. The same 2 bushes, in a field full of bushes for that length of time? The end is nigh! Repent lest ye be damned!

No not 3 days! At least 2 or 3 weeks in the same 2 bushes!
    Spurs I've seen that done before too but not like this. The same 2 bushes, in a field full of bushes for that length of time? The end is nigh! Repent lest ye be damned!
    Holy be to God. That sounds like a quare sight, I think you should contact the press about this.

ILA wrote: »
    Holy be to God. That sounds like a quare sight, I think you should contact the press about this.

Sounds like someone was exposed to too much Glenroe as a child.

Ah tis a quare sight indeed. Holy god sure arent we all flootered. And all we can take with us is the hair on your arse...and so forth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

happens out there a lot, it's the ground under the bushes that's burning, it's very common around Kildare as most of it is peat.
    It can actually smolder away for years underground, tis weird but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Maybe its sheep smoking spliffs.

Maybe its sheep smoking spliffs.

Don't be silly! Sheep are highly flammable! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

OP, hop out of the car next time and get close.

Ooo I dunno, it was weird enough stopping off a motorway to photograph a smoking bush. Getting out for a closer look is a bit on the mad side :p BUT.... she's still burnin! Just passed it there and said a few hail mary's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

its true,there has been white smoke comeing from the same two bushes for the last few weeks.is this the site for the new garage or is it up the slip road anybody know?

I did'nt even know they were putting in a garage! I hope its a big motherf****er like the ones on the M1 and such. And thanks for backing up my claims harr, at least I know I'm not the only one noticing it

I did'nt even know they were putting in a garage! I hope its a big motherf****er like the ones on the M1 and such. And thanks for backing up my claims harr, at least I know I'm not the only one noticing it
    i think it is going to be a big one allright,if you go up the slip road for monasterevan and take a left at first roundabout its in there.i was up haveing a nose this morning it looks like a very big sight.the bushs are still on fire by the way and its pissing rain.may get on to joe duffy or someone about the magic bush :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Jaysus, I must be on the dumb side.. I drive past there every day and have never noticed it... I'll be keeping an eye out!!
    As Bodhan says, it's probably the peat that's burning.

Jaysus, I must be on the dumb side.. I drive past there every day and have never noticed it... I'll be keeping an eye out!!
    As Bodhan says, it's probably the peat that's burning.

no your not going blind you cant see it from motorway its kind of hidden up around the corner on the slip road,they were not allowed build it on the motorway.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You stopped on a motorway just to take a video and some photos of smoke???

Jesus H Christ, this country.

zuroph wrote: »
    You stopped on a motorway just to take a video and some photos of smoke???

Jesus H Christ, this country.

Yes, yes i did. I stopped in the fast lane and caused a massive pile up just to take a photo :o
    If sarcasm is beyond you I actually obviously pulled off the motorway, im not that stupid.
    Edited to add that I mistakingly said in my earlier post, by way of a typo, that
    I stopped ON the motorway but I thought common sense wouldnt make the need for a correction necessary. I guess I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Yes, yes i did. I stopped in the fast lane and caused a massive pile up just to take a photo :o
    If sarcasm is beyond you I actually obviously pulled off the motorway, im not that stupid.
    Edited to add that I mistakingly said in my earlier post, by way of a typo, that
    I stopped ON the motorway but I thought common sense wouldnt make the need for a correction necessary. I guess I was wrong

um
    1) You SAID you stopped on a motorway.
    2) I can SEE the motorway in your wing mirror in that photo. You're in the hard shoulder. You're not meant to stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Ha ha I noticed these bushes smouldering last Saturday evening while driving down the motorway. Prob all the dry weather we've been having as Dublin Mountains had some going on aswell or maybe it is something more exciting..and yeah it is illegal and dangerous to park on the hard shoulder of a motorway but this is Ireland and no one seems to give a crap about it.

Right well I'll hold my hand up and plead guilty for pulling off on the hard shoulder for for 30 seconds. My bad, my insatiable curiousity led to a momentary lapse in judgement.
    Rest assured that I'll present myself to the gardaí when i get home tonight ;)
    Now that my haenous crime has been addressed, anyone have any ideas what wouldve caused the peat beneath to burn to begin with? Surely if the farmer had lit this to get rid of the bushes, he wouldve been back with a can of petrol to finish the job?

Right well I'll hold my hand up and plead guilty for pulling off on the hard shoulder for for 30 seconds. My bad, my insatiable curiousity led to a momentary lapse in judgement.
    Rest assured that I'll present myself to the gardaí when i get home tonight ;)

That's a minimum of 6 months in prison! Off to Portlaoise prison with you so. You'll probably be put in a wing with other serious offenders to society like jaywalkers!

Jaysus not the jaywalkers! I'll have to ally myself with the tv licence dodgers if I'm to have any chance of survival!

Just heard a car skidded off the motorway on the Southbound carriageway just after the exit for Monsterevin this evening. Ambulance and three units of the Fire Brigade were at the scene, hope they didn't put out the fire.

Could it be related? :eek:

it could be! maybe its like the sirens luring ships onto the rocks? its distracting drivers, pulling them off the road!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is illegal to stop on a motorway unless your car has broken down. It is very, very dangerous, no matter what has piqued your curiousity.

I could hear the traffic scream past you at 120 km/hour.:eek:

The burning bush does look odd alright. But the land on which it's in looks like a little bog to me and perhaps it's a smouldering turf fire of some sort?

Advertisement