Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

they seem to think that letting people know theyre atheists, make them appear more intelligent.

why even give a **** about either type?
    if you believe in god so be it,
    if you dont fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    they seem to think that letting people know theyre atheists, make them appear more intelligent.

if you dont fine.

do 'they'.

optogirl wrote: »
    do 'they'.

yes they.
    atheists.
    gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Patricide wrote: »
    Ok its very seldom I start a thread on AH but there is something that really has been pissing me off as of late.

Atheists!

Now dont get me wrong, im far from a right wing religious nut. Its just that recently with all these retarded threads, and with a lot of my friends its the exact same **** over and over. Even if we would so much as mention the church here or every time i would in real life pass a a church with my friends the following would ensues:

"you believe in something, o your retarded, your wrong, science is the only constant in this world, there is no proof for anything you believe in, rabble rabble"

"but i dont really believe..."

"rabble rabble rabble, church is wrong, everyone is an idiot except atheists rabble rabble"

90% of the time I feel like im dealing with born again christians trying to convert me rather than "scientific minds". And the thing is these are the same people who usually freak out if they see some religious guy so much as handing out flyers on the street.

Tl;dr : Atheists, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

We'll talk when there are atheists with megaphones trying to stop people from entering a church, the way religious nutters regularly try to stop me from entering Ann Summers.

yes they.
    atheists.
    gob****es.

This is a thread complaining about atheists being arrogant and tarring all religious people with the same brush, however it's OK for you to label all atheists gob****es. If you said the same about all Jews you could be tried in a court for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

There are times when you have to tell people. When I bought my house and wrote my will, It got me thinking about how I wanted my remains to be treated when I'm gone. I don't want a catholic funeral, I don't want to be buried in a catholic graveyard. (I'm gonna get cremated). That's the kinda stiff you have to inform people about.

I was in hospital just short of a year ago for an operation and when they were admitting me they asked what religious beliefs I had. Why was that? In the event of complications during/after surgery and there being a chance of me dying, they will ask a priest/chaplain to come and say the last rights.

I've told my friends and my family - i.e. the people that need to know, and others on a need to know basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

But religion is retarded.....

What difference does it make if a certain proportion of the people who know this and like pointing it out have character flaws?

Atheists being assholes doesn't make religion any less retarded.

This is a thread complaining about atheists being arrogant and tarring all religious people with the same brush, however it's OK for you to label all atheists gob****es. If you said the same about all Jews you could be tried in a court for it.

thats what happens when a new little fad that has been around for a few years
    goes up against religions that have been around for a long time.

no point in complaining about it.

and dont get me wrong. i think anyone that makes it their responsibility to tell others theyre wrong or fools because of their beliefs are gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Did you hear the recent scandal about the atheists blowing themseves up in the name of atheism?

Did you hear about the atheists wars past and present that were responsible for the murder of millions of people?

Did you hear about the new blasphemy law they brought in to stop people attacking others of atheist faith thereby restricting their freedom of speech?

Did you hear the scandal about the mass Paedophilia exposed in the last few years involving thousands of atheist preachers around the world?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

You fail history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

"They" dont exist in any meaningful sense of the word
    I don't feel any affinity with other atheists, it's not like it's a club or something! We don't meet up and do things together and so on.
    Religious people in general view themselves as part of a group and in general they tend not to mix too much outside of that group. That is changing, but it's still very evident among the older generation in particular.
    I would view myself as having no more in common with someone because they're an atheist, than i would because they like kit-kats.

no point in complaining about it.

and dont get me wrong. i think anyone that makes it their responsibility to tell others theyre wrong or fools because of their beliefs are gob****es.

You just called yourself a gob****e. You think that not believing in god/gods is a fad? What number rock do you live under?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

if you dont fine.

Er... it's not atheists dont believe in god...

Atheists believe there is no god...

You just called yourself a gob****e. You think that not believing in god/gods is a fad? What number rock do you live under?

i say fad beause ive only noticed atheism being mentioned more so over the last couple of years.but dont take it that im suggesting it wont last or anything like that.

i dont think your a fool or wrong if your an atheist.
    or if you believe in god.

i say fad beause ive only noticed atheism being mentioned more so over the last couple of years.but dont take it that im suggesting it wont last or anything like that.

i dont think your a fool or wrong if your an atheist.
    or if you believe in god.
    but you said atheist are gob****es!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"New little fad"?

Atheism as a concept is older than most of the largest religions on the world. It's older than Christianity and Islam and Hinduism recognises atheism as a valid form of Hinduism.

I personally would go as far as to say that since we are all innately atheist (a baby born has no concept of "God") and the pre-human lifeforms from which we evolved were too innately atheist, then athiesm is in fact the oldest belief system on the planet. I say belief system, but of course it's not a belief system. In fact it denotes a lack of any particular belief.

In geological terms, all theist religions are short-lived fads. Judaism is doing well at 3 thousand years, but that puts it roughly on a par with the beliefs of the Ancient Egyptians, and but still can't really compare with the Old paganist beliefs which could be anywhere between 5,000 and 20,000 years old at this stage.

All theistic religions are a fad. Give it 2,000 years and Jesus and Mohammed will be a source of ridicule or "simpler times" and there'll be some other nonce in their place.

Incorrect.
    Theism = belief in God
    A-Theism = No belief in God.

An atheist does not say, "I believe there is no God", an atheist says, "I do not believe in any God or Gods". It's a subtle difference. The former is an affirmation, a faith. The latter is not, it is simply a statement of fact.

not believing in god is the same as believing there is no god?
    unless ofcourse you believe in something else such as a flying spaghetti monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    But religion is retarded.....

What difference does it make if a certain proportion of the people who know this and like pointing it out have character flaws?

Atheists being assholes doesn't make religion any less retarded.

It's obnoxious and makes people annoyed. They may be very wrong, but they're still people. Do you like being corrected and talked down to?

It doesn't make any difference to the fundamental arguments about theology vs. reason, it just makes people less likely to see reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

No. You've got it backwards. It just appears that way to a religious person because intelligence correlates negatively with religiosity.

To simplify, religious people (all other things being equal) tend to be dumber than atheists. As a result atheists come across as smug. It's a bit like a guy in a suit reading a paper in a redneck bar. He looks smug but only because of the contrast.

I'm sorry if that sounds condescending but that's just how smart people seem to dumb people.

Let's see if we can't out-do that last thread on arrogant atheists....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Are atheists the new muslims of AH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

not believing in god is the same as believing there is no god?
    unless ofcourse you believe in something else such as a flying spaghetti monster.

Sauce be upon him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

i say fad beause ive only noticed atheism being mentioned more so over the last couple of years.

I suppose if you weren't around for Diagoras, it's easy to assume atheism started with Richard Dawkins...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Snakeblood, by right wind atheists what I really meant was this aggro militant atheists. I wrote right wing not in relation there there stance on government issues or whatever. Yup I was wrong, the way I wrote it, as the way I wrote my OP(as I have stated before). I haven't had much sleep last night and that I dont really speak much english these days means my heads a bit wonkey this morning, especially when im typing in english and speaking german to herself around the same time. My apologies.

Bookworm 85, yup its full of a load of crazy evil things, especially the old testament. However the bible also has a rake of good things in there for people to learn from too. Its like any other book. Its like saying there is war and murder etc. in lord of the rings, but im sure there is a moral or two in there.

Liah, I have an issue with religious nuts in general. However recently I have found that among "normal" atheist people(i.e. people like me and you who arent preachers etc.) there seems to be a growing trend of them shoving atheism down your throats. Of course this cant be said for everyone. But out of all the people you know personally, have they ever talked about how god is the one true light etc? Personally I haven't experienced this but I have had people I know who are atheists tell me that im retarded for thinking there is even a slight possibility of some higher form of life.

Beruthiel People can do whatever they want, hell they can worship a giant flying spaghetti monster for all I care. As long as they arent shouting it from the rooftops declaring anyone who doesnt is an idiot and obviously wrong.

optogirl Yup you indeed are correct, but early morning plus no sleep etc, hell just read my first point. What I should have wrote was Militant atheist types.

Bleg I dont look down on anyone, I really dont care what people believe in or do as long as they dont jump down my throat with it.

Shenshen Im not talking about the preacher types here, im talking about your average everyday joe soap. There are also these types of people on the athiest end(although normally not as crazy)

Gunsfortoys No I dont, but that wasnt the point im trying to make here. True religion causes a **** load of wars and extremism but it also creates charity.

Shenshen Im not talking about the preacher types here, im talking about your average everyday joe soap. There are also these types of people on the athiest end(although normally not as crazy)

Don't get me wrong, I feel a lot of shame and guilt by association when I seen and hear those types that will tell you they "believe in science"... makes me cringe every single time, just for the utter lack of understanding about what science actually is.

But to me it would appear that a lot of people will label you a "militant atheist" happily enough just because you will say "no" when asked if you would offer your living room to host some sort of holy icon for a week so neighbours can come over and pray in front of it (yes, exactly this happened to me about 4 years ago), or if you decide not to have your children baptised and are looking for a non-religious school to send them to.

To become a militant Christian, you really need to be a froth-at-the-mouth, kill-them-all-God-will-know-his-own preacher type.

People will think nothing of it crossing themselves every time they come past a church and start law suits if they can't wear a cross at work because it isn't part of the uniform and a health-and-safety risk, but if an atheist so much as mentions his/her beliefs, it's militant.

Nobody should ever talk down to someone else for what they choose to believe, but it does cut both ways. I've had an old lady on a bus chatting to me and on finding out that I don't believe in any gods (took her a total of 3 questions to get there!!!), she spent the next 15 minutes telling me how sorry she felt for me and that she would pray for me. A complete stranger!

As I was saying, come back when a total stranger engages you in a conversation in public and tries to convert you to atheism.

Until then, I will continue in my opinion that the majority of believers is a lot more intrusive, intolerant, arrogant and militant then the majority of atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

FoxT wrote: »
    Don't take it too seriously.

Bertrand Russell observed early in the 20th century that 'The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the foolish are cocksure, whilst the intelligent are full of doubt'.

- FoxT

Beautiful quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Snakeblood, by right wind atheists what I really meant was this aggro militant atheists. I wrote right wing not in relation there there stance on government issues or whatever. Yup I was wrong, the way I wrote it, as the way I wrote my OP(as I have stated before). I haven't had much sleep last night and that I dont really speak much english these days means my heads a bit wonkey this morning, especially when im typing in english and speaking german to herself around the same time. My apologies.

No worries. Plenty of left wing aggro out there too y'know.

I would say though that if you look around, the people who are trying to convert people are religious. They go door to door, they stand on street corners preaching, and they ask why I don't believe in god. I don't ask them why they do until they make an issue of it with me. I had to go to a catholic national school, and I don't want to send my kid to one, which cuts down my options. I feel more encroached on by religion than I encroach on it, and it's been that way for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I predict 62 pages of circular arguments!

Gunsfortoys No I dont, but that wasnt the point im trying to make here. True religion causes a **** load of wars and extremism but it also creates charity.

No it doesn't create Charity.

No it doesn't create Charity.

Most religions encourage it, towards the right people.
    But no religion creates it.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Most religions encourage it, towards the right people.
    But no religion creates it.

Exactly.

Can you honestly see any church or Vatican member giving to charity bar a few priests (who are still getting paid by the Church)? No it is normal volunteers doing the work. I am sick of religious people using the Charity card whenever somebody tries to discuss the atrocities perpetrated by religious organisations.

Advertisement