Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

optogirl wrote: »
    This thread was started with the sole intention of tarring all +++++++ with the one brush and criticising and demeaning them for articulating their opinions. Not cool.

Is that not what atheist threads on here do ALL THE TIME ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So what? It doesn't make it right.

It doesn't, but it helps putting a perspective on the issue.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    What's preventing you from just ignoring them?

A lot of the time, sometimes I post on an interesting point which could be left at a single post, yet which inevitably descends into pages of discussion about whether god exists or not and a load of people champing at the bit to 'prove' how wrong I am (see other thread*)...if I don't answer it's because (a) I have no answer => religion has no answer (b) I am afraid of the question/answer (c) I am stupid etc.. usually ends up with said contributors patting themselves on the back for how intelligent and enlightened they are. Other times I post to correct people when they post something that's plain wrong.

*I posted an opinion on one matter which could have been left at that. It quickly descended into a number of questions - basically putting me on the dock to defend my beliefs. What I posted could just have been accepted and the thread moved on. There's a number of posters who seem to have a compulsion tohave the same discussion over and over..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Morlar wrote: »

Is that not what dickheads in general post on here ALL THE TIME about <women/men/muslims/blacks/immigrants/politicians/students/take your pick>?

It's NOT about atheism vs theism. It's just dicks. Nobody "owns" them, no one group is made expressly from dicks. Some dicks may be atheist. Some may be christian. They don't define either.

Can we lock the thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

No it isn't and most atheists don't go about declaring their thoughts on god/s unless the conversation is about religion in which case they have every right to tell it how they see it. I think most atheists are getting a little bit sick of being accused of ramming their beliefs down other peoples throats when this is not their modus operandi. If atheism scares you, that's your problem, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Where are all these "religious people are morons" threads?, I feel like I'm missing out:p

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    There's a number of posters who seem to have a compulsion tohave the same discussion over and over..

Physician, heal thyself

Physician, heal thyself

Really, how many threads have I started on religion? That would be, eh, none.

How many times have I seen someone give an opinion as an atheist and rather than just accept their opinion and move on, started throwing questions at them to defend themselves? None that I can recall.

How often have I said that atheists are inherently stupid.... none.

liah wrote: »
    Is that not what dickheads in general post on here ALL THE TIME .....

tarring all +++++++ with the one brush - yes.

and criticising and demeaning them for articulating their opinions -

not that part no.
    No it isn't and most atheists don't go about declaring their thoughts on god/s unless the conversation is about religion in which case they have every right to tell it how they see it.

You can tell it how you see it - ie 'give your opinion' without ****ting all over other peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Really, how many threads have I started on religion? How many times have I seen someone give an opinion as an atheist and rather than just accept their opinion and move on, started throwing questions at them to defend themselves?

Mind you, I have yet to come into ANY thread about religion in which you haven't posted before....

not that part no.

You can tell it how you see it - ie 'give your opinion' without ****ting all over other peoples.

Again, these traits are not exclusive to atheists. Members of all groups, all beliefs, and all ways of life do these things. Why blame exclusively atheists? Not to mention starting threads like this slandering atheists as horrible people only serves to make it more hypocritical. Fighting fire with fire does nothing.

I mean, come on. Be reasonable and realistic about it.

• Advertisement

not that part no.

Not really - I dont believe in god/s. That's pretty much ****ting on somebody's belief without even trying. I'm not going to deny what I believe because it makes somebody uncomfortable - I will not however bring it up or try to change anybody's mind.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Mind you, I have yet to come into ANY thread about religion in which you haven't posted before....

..and? I have an interest in those threads...you know, by being a religious sort myself. I rarely (I can't recall any time) post in threads on atheism over on the A&A forum. You know, because it doesn't interest me all that much.

In the God thread I posted something which could have been left at one post and which the poster I was replying to thanked and accepted. Before long there were a number of other posters questioning me on entirely different issues.

I dont believe in god/s. That's pretty much ****ting on somebody's belief without even trying.

I think that's a gross over-estimation of the value of your opinions. & no it does not **** all over other peoples opinions if you simply to not share them.

..and? I have an interest in those threads...you know, by being a religious sort myself. I rarely (I can't recall any time) post in threads on atheism over on the A&A forum. You know, because it doesn't interest me all that much.

bloody hell - if it doesn't interest you why do you spend so much time arguing with atheists on boards?

bloody hell - if it doesn't interest you why do you spend so much time arguing with atheists on boards?

I don't. I respond to idiots, and I explain myself to anyone that asks. There's a difference. Where have I argued with atheists over their atheism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Is that not what dickheads in general post on here ALL THE TIME about <women/men/muslims/blacks/immigrants/politicians/students/take your pick>?

It's NOT about atheism vs theism. It's just dicks. Nobody "owns" them, no one group is made expressly from dicks. Some dicks may be atheist. Some may be christian. They don't define either.

Can we lock the thread now?

Why do you even come here if you think the views posted, are posted by dicks? Some of the ****e you post could be construed as "being a dick" or "feminist cack".

If people want to express their opinions as you so freely do, let them.

Again, these traits are not exclusive to atheists.

I don't recall saying those traits were exclusive to atheists.
    Members of all groups, all beliefs, and all ways of life do these things. Why blame exclusively atheists?

Not sure I did 'blame exclusively' atheists - what I said was that atheists did all the time what one particular poster was accusing other people of doing. I never said only they do it. I pointed out that they ALSO do it and quite bloody often (in my opinion).
    Not to mention starting threads like this slandering atheists as horrible people only serves to make it more hypocritical. Fighting fire with fire does nothing.

I mean, come on. Be reasonable and realistic about it.

Being realistic about it I happen to think this thread raises a mildly interesting point and one that does not get raised elsewhere too often.

I think that's a gross over-estimation of the value of your opinions. & no it does not **** all over other peoples opinions if you simply to not share them.

but you are accusing me of doing that simply by virtue of being an atheist! I have no notions that my opinions are of interest to other people but I am also allowed to share them in a discussion. Athiests are not a culture or community, they come from all walks of life and are, in my experience, usually fairly well-rounded, morally sound people who wouldn't dream of antagonising religious people. Religious people may become antagonised based on the arguments put forward in a discussion with atheists but again, why shouldn't atheists state what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I've met lots of religious people who get a bee in their bonnet if they express their relgious opinion, and I express mine as nicely as I can. You get questions about how one can possibly believe in nothing, expressions of incredulity, worries about marriage, children, surely in the name of god you'll baptise the children, and assurances that they will pray for you.

Now that's if I'm being nice about it. If I tell them to **** off, I get a different response but it has the great advantage of being a shorter conversation*

*I never tell people to **** off, this is for comic effect.

I don't recall saying those traits were exclusive to atheists.

Not sure I did 'blame exclusively' atheists - what I said was that atheists did all the time what one particular poster was accusing other people of doing. I never said only they do it. I pointed out that they ALSO do it and quite bloody often (in my opinion).

Being realistic about it I happen to think this thread raises a mildly interesting point and one that does not get raised elsewhere too often.

"atheists did all the time"

No.

Some individual dicks who happen to be atheists do it all the time.

Just as some individual dicks who happen to be christian do it all the time.

Correlation does not equal causation; anyone who's an atheist isn't automatically a dick. But that's what you're implying.

Also, there was a clone of this thread just last week. Comes up more than you'd think.

• Advertisement

I don't. I respond to idiots, and I explain myself to anyone that asks. There's a difference. Where have I argued with atheists over their atheism?

ah come off it man! You were in the God thread today doing just that

Could you link the post I made in that thread which is me asking someone to defend their atheism? Or questioning why they are atheists? Or referring to them as stupid for same?

Correlation does not equal causation; anyone who's an atheist isn't automatically a dick. But that's what you're implying.

No it's not.

The point originally made was this :
    This thread was started with the sole intention of tarring all atheists with the one brush and criticising and demeaning them for articulating their opinions. Not cool.

My response was this :

That does not mean that ALL Atheists do this.
    Nor does that mean that ONLY atheists do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Someone asked me what "New Atheism" was, and I came up with something like the following formulation:
    [latex]New\,Atheism = (Atheism - Silence)*Internet[/latex]
    It's not so much that we atheists are saying anything different, but since 9/11 there's been a new recognition of the real damage done by fundamentalist beliefs, and thus less of an inclination to keep quiet. Collaboration on the Internet is helping to clarify our positions, and making it easier to spot "straw men" when they appear - such as the OP confusing atheism with nihilism - and the way some types quote archaic dictionary definitions of atheism as if they were "gospel". (Who wrote the dictionaries, eh?)

There's a basic problem here: if you aren't a member of a group, why the hell do you think you can tell members of that group who they are? If religious types were happy to keep their religions to themselves, and not try to make everyone behave according to their particular beliefs, you wouldn't hear a peep out of atheists, "old" or "new". If you want to know about atheists, drop the assumptions and ask.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    If religious types were happy to keep their religions to themselves, and not try to make everyone behave according to their particular beliefs, you wouldn't hear a peep out of atheists, "old" or "new".

If only.

Could you link the post I made in that thread which is me asking someone to defend their atheism? Or questioning why they are atheists? Or referring to them as stupid for same?

I didn't say you did any of these things - I said you spend a lot of time arguing with atheists. And you do.

but you are accusing me of doing that simply by virtue of being an atheist! I have no notions that my opinions are of interest to other people but I am also allowed to share them in a discussion. Athiests are not a culture or community, they come from all walks of life and are, in my experience, usually fairly well-rounded, morally sound people who wouldn't dream of antagonising religious people. Religious people may become antagonised based on the arguments put forward in a discussion with atheists but again, why shouldn't atheists state what they think.

So you still contend that to christians you are viewed as ****ting all over their opinions for not being of the same belief ? That is honestly your contention ? And I don't mean 'in one wacky isolated instance' I mean in general you would describe that as an accurate description ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If only.

Well, how many non-stamp collectors do you hear about on a regular basis?

If only.

How can you say that you never attack atheists and then make a comment like this? It's actually disgusting - you don't like what atheists think so they should shut up? I could say the same about every religious person but that would make me incredibly closed minded and arrogant.

• Advertisement

I didn't say you did any of these things - I said you spend a lot of time arguing with atheists. And you do.

Arguing with atheists over my beliefs or theirs? Huge difference.

Advertisement