Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Morlar wrote: »
    So you still contend that to christians you are viewed as ****ting all over their opinions for not being of the same belief ? That is honestly your contention ? And I don't mean 'in one wacky isolated instance' I mean in general you would describe that as an accurate description ?

No - I was responding to a remark you wrote about it being OK to be an atheist as long as you don't **** on others beliefs. I agree with you there but the very fact that I am an atheist surely means that a religious person would view my beliefs as undermining theirs and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

optogirl wrote: »
    .. the very fact that I am an atheist surely means that a religious person would view my beliefs as undermining theirs and vice versa?

It doesn't. You being an atheist has nothing to do with my beliefs. Whether you feel undermined because of mine is your issue and insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Roma
    Poles
    Welfare Recipients
    Scangers
    Boggers
    Dubs
    The Brits
    The French
    The Foreigners
    The Irish
    The Catholics
    The Atheists

In no particular order, the 'topics' of AH to bash with an ignorant rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Roma
    Poles
    Welfare Recipients
    Scangers
    Boggers
    Dubs
    The Brits
    The French
    The Foreigners
    The Irish
    The Catholics
    The Atheists

In no particular order, the 'topics' of AH to bash with an ignorant rant.
    you forgot the - nevermind.

prinz wrote: »
    Arguing with atheists over my beliefs or theirs? Huge difference.

Can you read what I type please? I simply said you spend a lot of time arguing with atheists - I didn't say you call atheists stupid, I didn't say you **** on atheism, I simply said you spend a lot of time arguing with atheists. And you do. Could be about the price of mince (but it's usually about religion/atheism).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Overheal wrote: »
    you forgot the - nevermind.

You could fill a forum with the topics I left out...

Can you read what I type please? I simply said you spend a lot of time arguing with atheists -

Physician heal thyself*...:rolleyes: I said I don't argue with atheists about their atheism.. you claimed I was doing just that. Either I do, or I don't.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68603161&postcount=151

Like I said, huge difference.

*repetition intended.

Physician heal thyself*...:rolleyes: I said I don't argue with atheists about their atheism.. you claimed I was doing just that. Either I do, or I don't.

*repetition intended.

I'm banging my head against a brick screen here - I DID NOT SAY THAT YOU ARGUE WITH ATHEISTS ABOUT THEIR ATHEISM.

I'm banging my head against a brick screen here - I DID NOT SAY THAT YOU ARGUE WITH ATHEISTS ABOUT THEIR ATHEISM.

Let me outline those quotes again it seems to be going over your head..

Where have I argued with atheists over their atheism? - prinz

Ah come off it man! You were in the God today thread doing just that - optogirl

Let me outline those quotes again it seems to be going over your head..

but your point seems to be that you don't! You do! It's not a bad thing - simply a fact. You do infact spend a lot of time on boards arguing with atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Let it end here, please god.

Or random succession of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Let it end here, please god.

Amen, go with God.

but your point seems to be that you don't! You do! It's not a bad thing - simply a fact. You do infact spend a lot of time on boards arguing with atheists.

So you can't tell the difference with arguing with atheists over my beliefs, and arguing with atheists over their atheism? Arguing with atheists =/= arguing with atheists over their atheism.

Here's the thing: I'll defend and explain my beliefs.. if someone else declares themselves an atheist I don't feel it my duty to jump in and give the the third degree on why. I couldn't care less, that's their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Funny how the religious have to take up arms and commit acts of violence to be labeled militant while atheists merely have to express their views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Stephen wrote: »
    Funny how the religious have to take up arms and commit acts of violence to be labeled militant while atheists merely have to express their views.
    Depends how you label it.

The Mujahideen labeld the Soviet Union as faithless (Atheists).

There is a difference between expressing your view and your reasoning, and being deliberately insulting to others for having a different view. Of course merely expressing your opinion does not equate to being a militant, but whatever floats your boat and garners a few more thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

AH is turning into a nightmarish episode of the twilight zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

seamus wrote: »
    Here's a better solution to your problem - stop talking to people about religion.

More often than not such rants are unprovoked!

Admittedly, I am growing more and more uncomfortable to the term "religious". It sounds more like a legalistic system or dos and don'ts, not really how I would consider Christianity. In fact Jesus was quite opposed to the legalistic religious system of his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Depends how you label it.

The Mujahideen labeld the Soviet Union as faithless (Atheists).
    No, it depends on your reasoning for going to war. Militant religious are violent in the pursuit of the spread their religion. The Soviet Union were violent in pursuit of the spread of communism, which just happened to be atheist because multi-theist society is incompatible with running a dictatorship.

Claiming that the Soviet Union were carrying out an atheist agenda is on a par with claiming that the IRA were carrying out a Catholic agenda (hint: it was about nationalism, not catholicism).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Jakkass wrote: »
    More often than not such rants are unprovoked!

True... that old lady on the bus sat down next to me and started talking to me, I never invited nor provoked her, yet I had to sit through 15 minutes of attempted conversion to Christianity.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    True... that old lady on the bus sat down next to me and started talking to me, I never invited nor provoked her, yet I had to sit through 15 minutes of attempted conversion to Christianity.

You must be going around dressed as satan for all this extra attention :D:pac:

Reminded me of the Trigger Happy TV devil at the bus stop sketch for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

All atheists are not the same - it's extremists in all beliefs/disbeliefs that try to ram their opinions down peoples throats. On boards, to be fair, it is usually a discussion so of course they are going to put their argument forward. It wouldn't be much of a discussion site if everyone just sat back in respect of others beliefs. I agree that some atheists can be overbearing however if I am involved in a discussion about religion I'm going to be honest about what I feel. It seems that many people are offended by the very declaration of atheism by atheists.
    ****in spot on.

You must be going around dressed as satan for all this extra attention :D:pac:

Reminded me of the Trigger Happy TV devil at the bus stop sketch for some reason.

From talking to friends, I actually seem to get less attention than the average atheist in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

I tend not to discuss my religion unless its brought up, or I'm asked.
    This thread is a joke, it shows exactly how much Religion divides us.
    Each to their own etc.

It always makes be wonder where the human race would be now, if the curse that is relgion never grasped conditioned minds.
    I was given a choice as a child, when I was 10 years old my parents asked me.
    "do you believe in God?"

Since then I've lived my life the way I've wanted to, not bothering people
    but always open to talk about why I've chosen this path.

Life isnt so easy that you can brand everyone as being a dick, simply because of a few idoits. But you come across as someone who doesn't think before he "types"

At the end of the day, I believe that every person should be givin options as they grow. Not conditioned into a Religion, simply because their parents where conditioned and so on and so forth.

The building blocks of a young mind a very impressionable, everything you learn or are lead to believe will have a great effect on later life.
    Thats why my children will be allowed to choose, allowed options.
    I'll support their thirst for knowledge, and hopefully because of this they won't grow into
    rude thoughtless people who judge and brand everyone they see or come into contact with. But instead be open to all knowledge and all walks of life.

So @ the OP - You could do with opening your mind a bit, don't be so harsh judging people you don't know, inciting distaste and harbouring hate. The world has enough of it already :)

From talking to friends, I actually seem to get less attention than the average atheist in Ireland.

Unless they are all walking around with a giant atheist sign over their head I'd doubt that.:rolleyes:

Unless they are all walking around with a giant atheist sign over their head I'd doubt that.:rolleyes:

I tend not to get hassled by friends, family or neighbours about my non-attendance of church.
    Irish atheists are getting rather a lot of this, from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

seamus wrote: »
    No, it depends on your reasoning for going to war. Militant religious are violent in the pursuit of the spread their religion. The Soviet Union were violent in pursuit of the spread of communism, which just happened to be atheist because multi-theist society is incompatible with running a dictatorship.

Claiming that the Soviet Union were carrying out an atheist agenda is on a par with claiming that the IRA were carrying out a Catholic agenda (hint: it was about nationalism, not catholicism).
    Thats just your view. Im just giving the view of another group of people. Its what i do.

I tend not to get hassled by friends, family or neighbours about my non-attendance of church.
    Irish atheists are getting rather a lot of this, from what I've seen.

Ah fair enough, I though you were referring to random old women on buses and being accosted by street preachers and such :D. Then again some people get the same treatment from friends and family because they do.

But yeah the above sounds right. A cultural thing as much as anything else.

Ah fair enough, I though you were referring to random old women on buses and being accosted by street preachers and such :D. Then again some people get the same treatment from friends and family because they do.

But yeah the above sounds right. A cultural thing as much as anything else.

I do think that this constant barrage is one of the main reasons why atheists tend to be such lively debaters on the internet.
    I'm lucky enough to only get occasional exposure through strangers, rather then having to live with it in my daily life.

There is no such thing as an atheist community, but all nearly atheists live in a society strongly influenced by religious communities. The easiest way for most of them to exchange views and talk about their beliefs and disbelieves, the problems they have because of it and more often than not their general frustration is to communicate via online forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Actually, just to take a new angle on this thread. Would the Irish Times encourage proselytism similar to this, from a Christian perspective:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1019/1224281440918.html

Advertisement