Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship for ITCarlow Darts Team

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well Folks, just a quick word from the darts society. we're looking for local businesses to donate a few quid to fund our trip to Holland for the UDC World Championships next month.. Has anybody got any ideas to which businesses would help out??

The college has given us no help whatsoever.

I said i'd post it here so more people would see it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

In the current climate Id say it'd be fairly hard to get anyone to fund a group of students going on a holiday to play darts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Let me inform you its not a "holiday" we're taking it very seriously and its a great honor to be representing ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I would imagine it would be very hard to convince anybody of that.

Have you tried Irish dart suppliers and that? Maybe someone like Paddy Power if its going to be televised?

Ive contacted them all and only got interest from 1 supplier, they can only afford to give us a few Dartboards. I just sent a letter to Ladbrokes so hopefully they might show some interest.

Im sick to the teeth that the college sees us a group of drinkers, they pulled all of our funding after we won the All Ireland last year and its a joke that we're meant to be representing the college yet they wont help us out financially. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Let me inform you its not a "holiday" we're taking it very seriously and its a great honor to be representing ireland.

Possibly the only occasion where 2 positives = a negative - Yeah, Right !!!

• Advertisement

Git101 wrote: »
    Possibly the only occasion where 2 positives = a negative - Yeah, Right !!!

Its that kind of attitude we're trying to get rid of with the darts society.

Its that kind of attitude we're trying to get rid of with the darts society.

Well, the best of luck with that ;)

Im sick to the teeth that the college sees us a group of drinkers, they pulled all of our funding after we won the All Ireland last year and its a joke that we're meant to be representing the college yet they wont help us out financially. :mad:

Ahh, that's a bit tough.. Did they also pull the funding for real other sports or did they just feel that to send a group of adults on a funded piss-up was inappropiate :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Git101 wrote: »
    Well, the best of luck with that ;)

Ahh, that's a bit tough.. Did they also pull the funding for real other sports or did they just feel that to send a group of adults on a funded piss-up was inappropiate :eek:

Jesus give the guy a break, if you dont have something constructive to offer then dont bother posting anything at all.
    Darts is a sport whether you like it or not. Unfortunately for you sports arent segregated into "real" and whatever category suits you for others.

@krustydoyle : Id say your going to run into much of the prejudices shown above. Perhaps the students union could help or maybe a competition/draw in the college or something?

almighty1 wrote: »
    Jesus give the guy a break, if you dont have something constructive to offer then dont bother posting anything at all.
    Darts is a sport whether you like it or not. Unfortunately for you sports arent segregated into "real" and whatever category suits you for others.

I think my post was constructive, it points out to other readers that this guy was looking to be sent on a subsidised holiday.

I have nothing against darts. In fact I think it is a very entertaining pastime. What I do have an issue with is a bunch of adults fundraising for a holiday.

I actively support sports teams/clubs but any of them that I support are subsidising under age/junior members.
    A while ago a guy from a fishing club tried to sell me tickets. After I quizzed him I discovered that there were about 25-30 members in the club, all were adults and most were working full time. It turned out that all the profits from the ticket sales were divided equally between all the members that went on a drinking weekend. To my mind that is just not right.

Maybe now you will understand why I'm a little skeptical of a group whose own college regard as a bunch of drinkers :rolleyes:

we're not going out to drink.. we're going out to represent the college (even though they pulled our funding) so the society was delighted to be invited to play in the tournament. i expected the remarks from OP but less of the smart comments, we actually take it very seriously because we want to do well. We enjoy the rivalry betweeen the other colleges ( Intervarsities are been held in Gullys Bar next Tuesday). Just because we dont play the more popular sports such as GAA, Soccer or Rugby for the college we're looked over which is a pain in the **** but what can ye do. As for the students union well they've been no help either..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Git101 wrote:
    I think my post was constructive, it points out to other readers that this guy was looking to be sent on a subsidised holiday.

Constructive? You are really clutching at straws. Subsidised holiday? Thats your opinion. Im sure the majority of readers here are big and ugly enough to make up their own minds without you trying to lead them down a certain path.
    Git101 wrote:
    I have nothing against darts. In fact I think it is a very entertaining pastime. What I do have an issue with is a bunch of adults fundraising for a holiday.

Again no support for this statement.
    Git101 wrote:
    A while ago a guy from a fishing club tried to sell me tickets. After I quizzed him I discovered that there were about 25-30 members in the club, all were adults and most were working full time. It turned out that all the profits from the ticket sales were divided equally between all the members that went on a drinking weekend. To my mind that is just not right.

Maybe now you will understand why I'm a little skeptical of a group whose own college regard as a bunch of drinkers :rolleyes:

And this places the Darts Society members in the same bracket? Are they the same people? You can't paint the whole canvas with the same brush, thats just narrow mindedness.

You are entitled to your opinion but have contributed nothign but negativity to this post. Anyway I'll take it that you aint contributing to the original donation plea so we'll leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 fuzzyhead

With Movember coming up why not do sponsored shave or something...

Have a DARTATHON in aid of your trip and sell tickets

Race night or something

almighty1 wrote: »
    Constructive? You are really clutching at straws. Subsidised holiday? Thats your opinion. Im sure the majority of readers here are big and ugly enough to make up their own minds without you trying to lead them down a certain path.

Of course it's my opinion, no point giving someone elses.
    You're right, most people can make up their own minds.
    Don't see that I was trying to lead anybody anywhere. I was voicing my opinion on an internet forum :eek:
    Again no support for this statement.

Once again just my opinion.

Are they going to Holland to work ?
    Are they going to Holand to study ?
    Their own college regard them as "a group of drinkers" !!!
    Hmmm !!! Holiday
    And this places the Darts Society members in the same bracket? Are they the same people? You can't paint the whole canvas with the same brush, thats just narrow mindedness.

How does giving one example from many about adults fundraising for piss-ups/holidays make me narrow minded.
    What is narrow minded are people blindly handing out money when a sponsor card or tickets are waved under their nose, without asking where their money is going.
    You are entitled to your opinion but have contributed nothign but negativity to this post. Anyway I'll take it that you aint contributing to the original donation plea

Thank you for reminding me that I'm entitled to an opinion.
    If being skeptical about a bunch of students wanting a sponsored holiday is negative, well then, fair enough, I'll hold my hand up.
    Once again you are correct, I won't be contributing.
    so we'll leave it at that.

Thank you again, but like most posters here I can make up my own mind...

Advertisement