Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Neutering Question

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Ok I KNOW i should know the answer to this question but it never arose with our own cat as he was done before I got him but....

What is the story with neutering a male cat?

My sister has been adopted by a cat that looks about 12 months old, male, not neutered, she has been feeding him for weeks and he has taken to sleeping in a cat house that i gave her as my sp spoilt moggy has never used it!! :D

She wants to get him neutered so that he doesn't stray around the estate and he does spray in the house when he gets in

So, ballpark how much does it cost and what's the story with afterwards will it be in and out the same day? How long does it take to recover?

Anything else she should know??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Ours cost about €70 I think, he was in and home in a couple of hours - a bit dopey that night from the drugs, but right as rain the next day - no bother on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

check out any incentatives that may be on offer in your area. Our local Vet neutuers and speys half price for anyone out of work. And the local animal organisation also helps with costs. It is a very straightforward op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cost wise - €70 to €100 usually. He'll be in and out int he same day (dropped in starving early in the morning and collected that evening). Some are very dopey and others are fine, depends on the animal. Generally they just want to sleep that night and are grand the next day. He will need to be kept indoors and warm while he recovers. Often, he will be sent home with painkillers and/or antibiotics but he may be sent home with no drugs. Depending on whether the vet uses stitches (and also which type) or glue, he may or may not need to go back after 10 days to get stitches out. Your sister will need to keep an eye on the area to make sure it is not getting infected and if it does he will need antibiotics. The vet will tell your sister everything and anything she needs to know either when she drops him in or when she collects him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Sorted!
    Voucher organised from Clare Animal Welfare which covers 40.00 of cost and total cost from our vet is only 50.00 so happy days!
    Now to figure out how to get him into the cat carrier on Friday morning :D

Thanks for advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

how about leaving the cat carrier around him with a blanket in it - we've done that with ours and they sleep in it, then happily into the cage at vet time and off they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Sorted!
    Voucher organised from Clare Animal Welfare which covers 40.00 of cost and total cost from our vet is only 50.00 so happy days!
    Now to figure out how to get him into the cat carrier on Friday morning :D

Thanks for advice guys

We had the exact same situation about 3 weeks ago with a stray we took in.
    We lured him into the house on Thursday night, gave him food (careful though, he shouldn't eat anything 12 hours before the operation), and left him in a room with a cat litter, water and a comfy basket for the night. He apparently had never seen a pet carrier before, because he let himself be picked up and put inside it without a bother in the morning...

Mind you, when he was supposed to go back for his check-up a week later he kicked up and almighty fuss and scratched my arm really badly. In such a situation I recommend a thick jumper and skiing gloves.

That said, he now is the sweetest cat ever, cuddly, attentive and absolutely non-aggressive to our other two cats.

Shenshen wrote: »
    We had the exact same situation about 3 weeks ago with a stray we took in.
    We lured him into the house on Thursday night, gave him food (careful though, he shouldn't eat anything 12 hours before the operation), and left him in a room with a cat litter, water and a comfy basket for the night. He apparently had never seen a pet carrier before, because he let himself be picked up and put inside it without a bother in the morning...

Mind you, when he was supposed to go back for his check-up a week later he kicked up and almighty fuss and scratched my arm really badly. In such a situation I recommend a thick jumper and skiing gloves.

my own cat won't get into the cat carrier for love nor money nor cat treats!
    Probably because the only times he has been in it was for trips to the vet for vaccinations :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of ours came back from being neutered, went straight out and caught a bird and ate it. Right in front of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Our male cost us 54 euros to be neutered. He was running around the next day like nothing happened.

Hi all
    Kitty is home having had the op this morning
    He got out of the cat carrier the minute it was brought inside & opened after being collected from the vet and the poor thing could barely walk
    He has spent nearly all day sleeping (home since 2pm) and hasn't eaten anything is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Not eating the day of an op is totally normal - just offer him some food and he'll eat when he wants to. They can sometimes be a bit sick feeling (or even vomit) after the anaesthetic so not eating is fine. Try to feed him light, bland food (maybe a bit of chicken) the next day so that he doesn't get an upset stomach. Sometimes, they get diarrhoea after the anaesthetic so if this happens (and only lasts little while) it's nothing to worry about.

If he is generally unwell, not eating, spurting from either end excessively or not drinking at all he will need to go back to the vet.

Advertisement