Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heater not working - wall fuse?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Very quick question here.

We've a storage heater in the hall which has stopped working since it was last switched off before the summer (probably 6 months ago now).

Thought we could do without as it's not really adequate for the space and it's right beside the front door, but I realised today that it does add some nice heat to the hall on a freezing morning.

The breaker at the main board is fine. I did notice when I tried to switch it on once that the light above the wall switch flashed very briefly, but doesn't do that any longer. From looking at circuit diagrams of the storage heater, there are no fuses in it. Would there be a fuse in the wall switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Probable switch failure. Power is getting to the switch but switch failing to lock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cool, I'll take a look at it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you know it's an off-peak supply?

:) Yes. Definitely not working off-peak :)

Spot on Dulchie, well diagnosed. Saved me the €70 call-out fee for an electrician, or whatever it costs these days. Nice one.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Spot on Dulchie, well diagnosed. Saved me the €70 call-out fee for an electrician, or whatever it costs these days. Nice one.

yes -assuming you did it right:)

Well it's a wall switch and it works now where it didn't before. Foolproof really :)

you'd be surprised

OK. Well if the switch explodes I'll come back and let you know, but it worked fine overnight....so it's probably not going to.

could be a 'timebomb' like a loose connection

you may even be lucky and got it right:)

• Advertisement

It's electrics, not rocket surgery. :)

But thanks for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Once the polarity is right you should have no problems.

The layout of these isn't exactly intuitive, but everything is labelled, so I'm sure there's no bother there.

Just a note for anyone coming here from a search really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

seamus wrote: »
    It's electrics, not rocket surgery. :)

But thanks for your concern.

I have to agree with him though, it may not be rocket science, in fact its simple. But so is rocket science to rocket scientists. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AlexDellaRay

I have a similar problem have a Creda combination heater (storage and convection) that I havn't used for about 5 months.

The convection works fine but I am having no joy with the storage
    these past few days. Is it likley to be a blown fuse?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Advertisement