Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which of these bikes represents better value?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

They are both not the best bikes. But I think giant would be better. Even though I am not a big fan of their bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

twinsen wrote: »
    They are both not the best bikes. But I think giant would be better. Even though I am not a big fan of their bikes.

any reason it's better?Not being smart, just genuinely interested.

I know they aren't the best bikes, but my budget is 300 or so, if you can point me in the direction of a better bike for that money please do:).

Thanks

can anyone here offer some helpful advice?pleaaase,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All things being equal, I'd rather buy a bike from CSS than Halfords.

Lumen wrote: »
    All things being equal, I'd rather buy a bike from CSS than Halfords.

I understand this, and agree.

But are these two bikes equal, if not , which is better, that's what I'm trying to find out.

Can anyone that knows a bit about bikes give their opinion on the comparison of these two? Just the bikes themselves, I am aware that the service/ after sales would be better from CSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're pretty equal. The giant looks better IMO and the only thing which would edge it for a hybrid bike is the adjustable stem on the giant which the carrera doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

I'd buy the giant.
    shimano shifters last longer
    700c wheels
    adjustable stem
    css service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryan0380

I've been cycling a carrera road pro for the last 6 months and while it's not a carbon flying machine it has never given me any trouble and everything still works perfectly. I bought carrera off a mate to see if I would like road biking and I just ordered a new bike yesterday but the carrera has been reliable and comfortable. I wouldn't be a fan of halfords though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I understand this, and agree.

But are these two bikes equal, if not , which is better, that's what I'm trying to find out.

Can anyone that knows a bit about bikes give their opinion on the comparison of these two? Just the bikes themselves, I am aware that the service/ after sales would be better from CSS.

From just looking at them in the shop, the Giant, looks a much better made bike. Like it would go forever. Certainly the one I tried was comfy to ride on. Someone at work has one has nothing but praise for it.

The Carerra I'm sure is fine, its just doesn't look as bomb proof as the Giant. Its has a reputation as a reliable commuting, IF you get someone decent in Halfords to set it up.

Both bikes are more on the robust side of things rather than light/fast.

I'd go for the Giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

If you have a axa card the subway would be the better value IMO

€340 V €300-15% , be almost €100 in the difference! They are very similar IMO. Shimano is more durable than Sram though from what Ive seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

To the OP,
    If these are your two choices, then IMHO, the Giant is the better choice.

I would go with the Giant frame over the other. Also, there appears to be more name brand components on the Giant: Shimano, FSA, and SunTour.

Can you actually get your hands on the bikes? If so, I would: (1) pick both up and see which is lighter, (2) spin the wheels and see which roll better, (3) turn the cranks and see which has more resistance, and (4) check out the warranty.

Whomever has more of the above criteria is the winner.

Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

FISMA wrote: »
    turns the cranks and see which has more resistance,

LOL

seriously ?

Advertisement