Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed splitting wiring switch for fan/light

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

My downstairs toilet light & fan come on at the same time. The fan is noisey and directly under my son's bedroom. So I was hoping to split it into 2 switches if possible. I made an attempt but couldn't get it working.

Below is a simple diagram of what it looks like and the new double switch I bought. An help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

25e3963d6c.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no diagram-but if there's a separate switch wire they can be controlled separately

don't think theres any requirement for isolating neutrals in a toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It looks like there is separate lives going to both the light and the fan from your diagram. You'll need to confirm that the 2 wires going to the COM terminal of your old switch are permanently live.

When your wiring up the new switch you'll need to add a link between the 2 COM terminals, this is just a piece of 1.5mm cable.

131657.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mInImaL aNiMaL

Thanks for the quick replies!

@DublinDilbert

Thanks for the diagram, that a big help! How do I find out if they are permanently live? phase tester? :o

i couldn't see a diagram -must be my browser

dublin dilbert -what software you using for those drawings?

M cebee wrote: »

Here is a link...
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e78a851001.png

I just used MS Paint to do my drawing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I just used MS paint and saved as a GIF, can't think why you wouldn't be able to see it.

Thanks for the quick replies!

@DublinDilbert

Thanks for the diagram, that a big help! How do I find out if they are permanently live? phase tester? :o

A cheap phase tester can be used yes, although do check its working first.

I'm all for learning and doing things for ones self, but If you don't feel full confident in what your doing get someone who is, not really worth the risk. We are also assuming you know how to knock off the power to that circuit ect...

it's more than likely as dublin dilbert described-if you're competent

Thanks, I'm relatively competent!
    I just used MS paint and saved as a GIF, can't think why you wouldn't be able to see it.

I'm all for learning and doing things for ones self, but If you don't feel full confident in what your doing get someone who is, not really worth the risk. We are also assuming you know how to knock off the power to that circuit ect...

Thanks, ya I would be confident enough. I'll tackle it later and post up how I get on. Thanks again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks, I'm relatively competent!

Test the two terminals of existing switch with the switch off but with power on first, the 2 wires from L1 should be the ones to light and fan, but not definitely, old switch would still work with them into the com 1 terminal and feeds into L1, this test will also show your phase tester is working.

But with the switch turned off, the side that is live are the 2 feeds which go into the com-com of the new double switch like dublindilbert has in diagram, and the side thats not live are the light and fan. Once this is confirmed, turn power off and re test.

As the lads said, simple for a sparks even if just have the 4 wire ends not connected to anything, but can be tricky for a non sparks.

i could see yours-but not the ops -if there is one in the first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i could see yours-but not the ops -if there is one in the first post

There is, i can see it

• Advertisement
Advertisement