Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Market, Cork

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey guys, I am an avid fan of the English Market, I love the sights smells and sounds of the place. Today I found out that the city council screen heavily who they allow set up in the market. They want to keep it traditional and don't want to see the likes of Subway, Claire's accessories etc. What do you think of this? do you think it would make the market more competitive or ruin its unique feel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think it's a great policy!
    if they let the crap stores in, it would destroy the the place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a good idea,I would'nt want the likes of subway in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just take one look at O'Connell Street in Dublin.

The English Market in Cork is unique and should be kept that way. My wife was in it for the first time in October and was totally taken by it.

on the subject of the English Market - have ye heard of Local Markets.ie?

you can order online from suppliers in the English Market and other local producers and have the stuff delivered. I'll be trying it out soon.

(I'm not affiliated with it in any way - just an interested future customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

deRanged wrote: »

you can order online from suppliers in the English Market and other local producers and have the stuff delivered. I'll be trying it out soon.

That looks pretty sweet! I love the English Market but the hours during the week mean I can only go on Saturdays so this might be really useful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

That's cool deRanged. Nice find! How did you hear about it out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the city is littered enough with multi-national franchise stores and scummy accessories shops, keep the English Market free of that. It's a nice place as it is, why change that.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    How did you hear about it out of interest?

Through twitter initially, then got a heads up about the launch. It turns out a friend of mine is in the same startup hub as the guy that runs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Love the place. That lovely aromatic meat/spices smell. All the interesting little shops & stalls.

Having a Subway or McD's in the market goes against everything the place is about. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

When im walking from one side of town to the other i go out of my way just to have a little stroll through there. I probably wouldnt eat half of the stuff in there but man the smell in there is delightful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I like the atmosphere in the English market but I rarely shop there as the prices are for the most part way too high, especially the fish. Selection and quality of goods there is fantastic, but price is king and I can get the same quality goods elsewhere for much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

When im walking from one side of town to the other i go out of my way just to have a little stroll through there. I probably wouldnt eat half of the stuff in there but man the smell in there is delightful.

I do the same. :D Its one of a kind and is one of the things that makes Cork unique. Dunno bout the prices as another poster commented, but I try to support the traders in preference to the supermarkets. One of the characters of the place, Paddy Joe, passed away earlier this year. He had the shoe repair stall and was a history buff. Used to tell me stuff about Cork, I've never heard anywhere else and was always on good form. Miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It's a great policy. Just wondering why it's called the 'English Market' and not something like 'The Old Cork Market'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

there was a market on the coal quay for the " working class " locals in the city, which sold inferior and cheaper food. this was known as the irish market. the english market served the wealthy in the city. good quality and more expensive. probably the english or those of english descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

I'd go even further.
    The council should have the power to refuse certain outlets permission to set up in certain areas of the city if it would ruin an area's character.

For example French Church Street, Paul Street and Carey's Lane is made up almost entirely of boutique shops and one-off restaurants. Subway should never have been allowed to set up there however there was nothing anyone could do to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Whats that new shopping market up by the Coal Quay? It is like Tescos/Dunnes.

I haven't been up there, is it all multi-national shops.

Do you mean shopping centre with TK Maxx? There's an entrance on Paul St. as well. TK Maxx is the only business in the centre last I saw -lots of empty units.

The council started work on the Coal Quay area this summer too. They look like they're nearly finished, it's now a one way street to traffic with a wide pedestrian area on western side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

FTGFOP wrote: »

The council started work on the Coal Quay area this summer too. They look like they're nearly finished, it's now a one way street to traffic with a wide pedestrian area on western side of the street.

They'd want to do something about cars parking up on the footpath. After all the money that was spent, it doesn't make sense to just let it turn into a car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

They'd want to do something about cars parking up on the footpath. After all the money that was spent, it doesn't make sense to just let it turn into a car park.

Agreed 100%. What was the point in spending all that money to allow it turn into an expensive carpark.

Somebody also needs to take the remaining street-traders in hand and get them to finally agree to upgraded stalls and repositioning them on the street. They seem adamant to stay where they are and do nothing to improve. Keeping things traditional for now but they are killing the place for future generations of market-traders.

The place is still a bit of a mess at the moment, definitely, which probably encourages illegal parking. I don't think much of the Cornstore annexing such a large portion of the footpath either. Then again if it wasn't for their outdoor speakers* wafting MOR all over the street I probably wouldn't begrudge.

I see a fair number of cars going up the street the wrong way too, probably to park, as you say.
    *a pet hate of mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

the market should Defo be kept traditional... no way should subway / McD's etc be allowed in there..... would be a crime against humanity !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Theres enough junk/crap food places in the city without having them here. I find it like soul food just to walk around the place. Actually I stopped in Dinos the other day. A pure bag of grease and oil. Wont be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gstore.ie (Tony)

Great website thanks for the link, I've been drooling all morning thinking about those gourmet sausages they are fantastic. I hope the site does really well for these guys.

The great thing about the market is the banter between the traders and customers I would often go in there early on a Saturday morning and just sit there for an hour with a few coffees, there's no other place like it in Ireland from what I have seen. Long may it continue!!!!!!!

On another note I think patricks street is going downhill fast with all these regeneration projects going on the reputable retailers are moving out of the patricks street leaving vacant prime real estate in the city that ends up being filled by some pound shop of similar, it's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As much as I love going into the City, I hardly ever bother now. Parking can cost up to 3.20 for 35 minutes in places like the Grand Parade Car Park and you're charged from the minute you drive in, even if it takes 10 minutes to find a ridiculously small space.

If it's raining, you get wet, and no matter where you go, there's some chugger trying to be whacky and stop you for a quick 5 minute chat about setting up yet another direct debit. As as Tony said, half of the shops are just not even bothering anymore.

If I want something now, I'll usually either go to Mahon, Douglas Court, or Douglas Shopping Centre. Free parking, no rain once you're inside, and no chuggers. Much more peaceful and pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Nipp

As much as I love going into the City, I hardly ever bother now. Parking can cost up to 3.20 for 35 minutes in places like the Grand Parade Car Park and you're charged from the minute you drive in, even if it takes 10 minutes to find a ridiculously small space.

If it's raining, you get wet, and no matter where you go, there's some chugger trying to be whacky and stop you for a quick 5 minute chat about setting up yet another direct debit. As as Tony said, half of the shops are just not even bothering anymore.

If I want something now, I'll usually either go to Mahon, Douglas Court, or Douglas Shopping Centre. Free parking, no rain once you're inside, and no chuggers. Much more peaceful and pleasant.

ever try city square car park? bit of a walk but theres always spaces and 2 hours free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I live very close to Douglas but prefer going to the city centre, if I feel like a browse around the shops. i wouldnt do grocery shopping there though as it is too awkward for me. I don't like Mahon Point at all, the traffic is usually bad & the place is characterless. I find the Bus or Park n Ride facilities are very good.

- FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murphymike737

good luck to www.localmarkets.ie great site. And a brave marriage between the old and new. Hope it works out. (Sorry I won't be a customer but I'll still walk in and enjoy the smells.)
    And good to see the market going online too. www.englishmarket.ie links to the online sales people - HELLO, someone joined up thoughts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

I'd go even further.
    The council should have the power to refuse certain outlets permission to set up in certain areas of the city if it would ruin an area's character.

For example French Church Street, Paul Street and Carey's Lane is made up almost entirely of boutique shops and one-off restaurants. Subway should never have been allowed to set up there however there was nothing anyone could do to stop it.

true. cork has become so much more of a clone town. if it gets any worse it will be just like Exeter, Slough, Uxbridge or any other insignificant British sh1thole

at least the said subway has been banished to being upstairs. how did that happen?

don't be bumping old threads please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement