Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating ceiling fittings

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    Couple of questions relating to a a new domestic house build. For the ceiling mounted fittings, lights, fire alarms, sensors, etc I am wondering do most electricians put in a back box or mounting box screwed to the joists or do you just clip the cables to the joists and pull down through the slabs. Basically, I am wondering if it is safe to assume I will have enough room in the fittings to loop in and out and also accommodate the switch wire or should I be giving myself some room above the plaster slab.
    I am not planning on using any recessed fittings. I know they are so popular but I do not like them because of the loss of thermal insulation and reduced sound insulation due to keeping insulation away from them. Where the fitting is between joists I plan to screw 2" by 7" timber across and pull the cables down through a 20mm diameter hole in this timber. This will allow a heavy fitting to be fitted in the future even if the original fitting does not need this strength.
    The build is my own. I am familiar with the ETCI regs and power theory through my work but I do not normally do installations.
    Also, where wall mounted fittings are used, what type of box is the cable pulled into at first fix stage? Does everyone just use a single back box as per the standard light switch? I have seen some done where the cable is just pulled down through the conduit and no box is used. The cable basically just sticks out through the plaster. I doubt this is considered good practice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

loop-in to switches will simplify your lighting connections

you'll have 1 t&e at each light,use 35mm back boxes for switches if possible

the problem of thermal insulation and spots can be overcome by using

-led downlights

there are f-capped fittings suitable for covering with thermal insulation and also fire-rated spots for the fire-barrier if required

part of the reason i stopped using halogen downlights is the massive amount of thermal insulation being specified and it's just not practical fitting trafos and halogens etc

Advertisement