Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Comparison Eircom NGB v UPC

• 20-10-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

I was charged for going over the 30 gig limit so I started shopping around this morning to see what others were charging for their BB .

Have I got this right or am I missing something here ?

Eircom NGB 8Mb BB 30GB usage limit €29.99 monthly

UPC 8Mb BB 120GB usage limit €32.75 monthly BUT if you already have TV with them then it is €25.00 monthly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes.

Bear in mind that if you are in a contract with eircom, you can't simply move. It will cost you to end the contract early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jonski wrote: »
    I was charged for going over the 30 gig limit so I started shopping around this morning to see what others were charging for their BB .

UPC 8Mb BB 120GB usage limit €32.75 monthly BUT if you already have TV with them then it is €25.00 monthly

Don't forget to add the Eircom line rental on top of that too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jonski wrote: »

Eircom NGB 8Mb BB 30GB usage limit €29.99 monthly + Line Rental €26 a month or €47 in a bundle with offpeak calls.

UPC 8Mb BB 120GB usage limit €32.75 monthly BUT if you already have TV with them then it is €25.00 monthly + €6 for Phone Service no calls or + €13 for Phone Service with free national calls.

Fairest Comparison Is:

Eircom NGB 8Mb BB 30GB usage limit + Offpeak Calls + Line Rental €47 a month. ( incl 30 mins to mobiles)

UPC 8Mb BB 120GB usage limit €32.75 monthly + Offpeak Calls for €13 = €46.75 a month. (incl 400 mins to International Landlines)

BUT IF TAKEN WITH TV

UPC 8Mb BB 120GB usage limit €25 monthly + Offpeak Calls for €13 = €39 a month. (incl 400 mins to International Landlines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

and dont forget that upc 8mb will actually be 8mb;)

and dont forget that upc 8mb will actually be 8mb;)

This is true. The average UPC download speed is 14mbits, for eircom and Imagine it is 4mbits and UTV internet are nearer 3mbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Probably out of date already! http://www.techtir.ie/telecomms/8Mbps-broadband
    Some comparisons.
    Average eircom 8Mbps speed on ADSL is about 3Mbps and average eircom speed on 24Mbps ADSL2+ is about 6Mpbs to 7Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is true. The average UPC download speed is 14mbits, for eircom and Imagine it is 4mbits and UTV internet are nearer 3mbits.
    ...using utv ngb 8mb myself and my average download speed is over 6mb, not 3mb :)

...using utv ngb 8mb myself and my average download speed is over 6mb, not 3mb :)

So you are faster than the average UTV user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Since the minimum they will connect is 1Mbps and the max you can get is just under 8Mbps, and the average is about 3Mbps, then obviously a number of people get 6Mbps. Somewhere between 10% and 30% of people. I haven't calculated the probability.

Advertisement