Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather forecast

Options
  • 20-10-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    Am thinking of heading over to the Aran Islands next week (Wednesday, Returning Thursday)
    I have to be back in Galway city for Thursday evening.
    What are the changes of strong wind midweek next week?
    I really dont want to be delayed or stopped coming back due to weather.
    Any help appreciated as I know its a week away at this stage.
    Kippy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There is a hint of a possible storm developing to our west late Wednesday and making its way towards us during Thursday. Seas could be fairly dicey along the West come Thursday afternoon, but it's way too far away to put a timing on it.

Stay tuned to MT's forecasts in the coming day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Su Campu wrote: »
    There is a hint of a possible storm developing to our west late Wednesday and making its way towards us during Thursday. Seas could be fairly dicey along the West come Thursday afternoon, but it's way too far away to put a timing on it.

Stay tuned to MT's forecasts in the coming day or two.

Cheers Su Campu.
    Will keep an eye on it.
    Have booked the days off anyway, and will make a call on it closer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Ive been to Aran numerous times.Ive heard a few people say that it has its own "micro climate".Ive found that to be true.Ive been out there a few times when its been wet and windy on the mainland but on the main Island its been a peach of a day with clear blue skies.My point being that dont pay too much attention to a weather forecast for the islands region.

Aiel wrote: »
    Ive been to Aran numerous times.Ive heard a few people say that it has its own "micro climate".Ive found that to be true.Ive been out there a few times when its been wet and windy on the mainland but on the main Island its been a peach of a day with clear blue skies.My point being that dont pay too much attention to a weather forecast for the islands region.

It's the sea conditions I am more worried about tbh,

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Oh if its sea conditions your worried about then like Su Campu i hear theres a huge storm rolling in right about the time your setting foot on the boat.In fact i hear its gonna be a real whopper,making "The Perfect Storm" look like a light breeze:).
    Dont worry about the boat trip out.They have one of the boats where the water runs under the boat making it alot more stable then a traditional type of boat.I forget the name of that type of boat but its a smaller version of one of those Sea Cat type ferries that goes from Dublin to Hollyhead.Ive a sensitive stomach but even i dont mind the boat trip out,its only 30/35mins from Rossaveal anyway.

• Advertisement

Aiel wrote: »
    Oh if its sea conditions your worried about then like Su Campu i hear theres a huge storm rolling in right about the time your setting foot on the boat.In fact i hear its gonna be a real whopper,making "The Perfect Storm" look like a light breeze:).
    Dont worry about the boat trip out.They have one of the boats where the water runs under the boat making it alot more stable then a traditional type of boat.I forget the name of that type of boat but its a smaller version of one of those Sea Cat type ferries that goes from Dublin to Hollyhead.Ive a sensitive stomach but even i dont mind the boat trip out,its only 30/35mins from Rossaveal anyway.

Sorry, to clarify,
    I need to be back in Galway city for around 6PM.
    If the ferry is cancelled due to rough seas/stormy weather I will not make it back.
    Those catamaran/dual hull/sea cat type things are even worse in bad weather.
    They have a far lower tollerance to rough seas.

Are you all being serious about the weather breaking on Thursday afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The latest models have downgraded a bit since yesterday, with a shallower system a bit further out west by lunchtime Thursday. 15-20 knot winds at the surface should not be a problem, but this could change yet again.

101021_0000_180.png

Advertisement