Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're cutting me off! unless...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Thanks Matt, very useful post. There were some very bizzare claims about wicklow broadband in the wicklowbroadband thread and no senisble answers were given a direct question so I have been very cautious about them. Do you know on the 5Mb domestic product what the upload is? Is that what you have posted the speedtest result from? What is their cap/fair usage like? I've on occation shifted more than 150Gb in a month on my Breeze connection and never heard a thing from IBB. I try and do that kind of volume over nights so not to be too antisocial and they've never batted an eyelid. From your post they would definately be my preferred option to getting a phone line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Matt in IT

The standard upload is 1mb.
    There isn't a cap on data. I use it heavily all day and it's rock solid.
    My wife uploads photos (professional stuff not just snaps)
    And she animates and she does FTP for web stuff.
    I download patches and software every day.
    It's bloody bullet proof.
    The only real issue in the last 8 months was an outage for a few hours because of a server that broke and that's now been replaced.

In my opinion unless youre lucky enough to get fibre (all twelve of you) it's currently the best product for much of Wicklow.

If you're leaving breeze it's the obvious replacement. If you're not sure ask to trial it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Matt in IT wrote: »
    I'm going to start a thread on this in a bit.
    I used to get Breeze for my clients back when they had 2mb and 3mb packages and I got a reseller fee as a bonus. I wasn't complaining it was the best out there and I still got a kickback.

I've been using blueface for ages too.

I'm furious though that a company is allowed to come in and kill a superior product. They should be speeding things up and instead they are shafting a great product.

My business clients can't use WiMax as many threads on boards attest it is poor in comparison.

I will say I have moved a number of clients 10+ to Wicklow Broadband and they are all happy. Installed typically in a day or two from calling.
    ...I don't work for them in case you were wondering...

The basic pack upload isn't as fast as Breeze 1mb but it's far better than anything else.
    The ping is quick and I get an A on pingtest.net - I am on a 5mb pack at the moment Blueface works nicely too.

I'm in Delgany and I've clients using Wicklow Broadband in Greystones, Bray Head, Charlesland and Newcastle.
    If you ever visit the Happy Pear in greystones their free WiFi is hooked up to Wicklow Broadband.

I've just run this ping test. I usually get an A this time it's a B.
    I think it's because of branch that I need to trim.
    I've a 17ms ping on Speedtest.

26559006.png

1000492203.png

cheers
    Matt.
    dam nice it put my eircom DSL to shame even more since my line speed decrease from 3mb to 1mb and upload no were near 4mb just 384kpbs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vibe666 wrote: »
    so you'd be fine with it if your mobile or broadband provider decided to do something similar?.

Given I work in the industry and understand both parties rights then yes I would be fine if my mobile provider gave me 6 weeks notice of cancel of the service.

You can't expect a provider to keep supplying the same service to its customer's until the end of time, in this case they changed the service and want to shutdown the old system.

it may be legal for them to do it, but its by no means fair to their loyal customers to expect them to have to pay €150 for what is effectively going to be a downgrade from the user perspective if they use it as an excuse to oversubscribe and i'd be lodging a complaint and voting with my feet if it was me.

The connection fee for a whole separate service is another matter however and something the OP should look into to see if it can be waived.

If however he remains unhappy then move providers.

Advertisement