Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie advice

Options
  • 20-10-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Have just got a new tank and i am looking to get some tropical fish...
    One thing that worries me is what happens if there is a power cut in the house?.. I dont want to have a load od dead fish on my hands.

Are there any kind of battery powered filters/lights etc that could be used in that eventuality?... Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but i'm completely new to this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hi there.

1st read the thread about cycling a tank.

Your tank should be able to survive a good few hours without power. Water holds heat well enough and the glass will further insulate it. Not having the filter for a few hours shouldn't matter that much either.

Make sure you pick the right fish. Some are shoal fish, like tetras and you will need a ninimum of 6-8+ of that type to keep them happy. Think about tank size, fish size, fish numbers and don't introduce all at once.

have a read through a few of the threads here, here is mine. I only started recently and had lots of questions in there.

irishfishforums.com is a great resource also.

And most importantly, everyone wants to see pics of the tank once its going :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

jobless wrote: »
    Hey All,

Have just got a new tank and i am looking to get some tropical fish...
    One thing that worries me is what happens if there is a power cut in the house?.. I dont want to have a load od dead fish on my hands.

Are there any kind of battery powered filters/lights etc that could be used in that eventuality?... Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but i'm completely new to this..

I had a power cut there last Saturday for about 3 hours, fish were grand! Long term power cut could cause issues though but I wouldnt go down the battery route, especially if you go away and theres a faulty battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks a million for the replies... at least that puts my mind at peace...

cookie monster thanks for that link... will have a good read of it...
    I realize from talking to the guy in the shop its a slow process to get the environment correct... will take it step by step

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what size tank did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i got a wall mounted one.... 1.3 metres long... the fun starts from here :)

i'm sure i'll be one with more questions for yee... thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement