Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Intel be moving out of Ireland?

• 20-10-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/intel-announces-plans-to-spend-up-to-8-billion-on-u-s-factory/#disqus_thread

They are moving to a 22-nanometer manufacturing process which the Intel factories in Ireland do not have the capability to produce and would need to be completely upgraded which costs almost the same as just building a new factory. Since they have announced $8 billion worth of upgrades to their American factories and none(That I'm aware of) to their Irish factories is this a sign they won't be continuing with manufacturing in Ireland at the same level as they currently do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bags not having to remove the Intel Inside tag from the Cliffs of Moher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Biggins wrote: »
    I'll let some one else post first!

O' wait...! Schite. I've fecked that up!
    The title was probably a bit over the top, they won't pull completely out of Ireland but just keep a big enough operation here so they can benefit from the low corporation tax. I don't see them continuing with manufacturing though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

SugarHigh wrote: »
    The title was probably a bit over the top, they won't pull completely out of Ireland but just keep a big enough operation here so they can benefit from the low corporation tax. I don't see them continuing with manufacturing though.
    I think that about sums it up accurately.
    Something like Dell has/is doing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's been on the cards for a long time..As far as I know Ireland only has prefabs for 65nm wafers and they're practically gone now.
    Of course knowing the Government they might eventually get of their asses and do something although knowing them it'll probably be after Intel have already decided to close the plant.
    Then again ..seeing as it's in Dublin they might make more of an effort than they did with Dell in Limerick.
    Hopefully the Intel plant will be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    It's been on the cards for a long time..As far as I know Ireland only has prefabs for 65nm wafers and they're practically gone now.
    Of course knowing the Government they might eventually get of their asses and do something although knowing them it'll probably be after Intel have already decided to close the plant.
    Then again ..seeing as it's in Dublin they might make more of an effort than they did with Dell in Limerick.
    Hopefully the Intel plant will be safe.

Leixlip is in Kildare, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Oh no, don't tell me Leixlip is moving out of Ireland too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Intel will stay in some form or other to funnel profits through here.

There was talk a while back about one of their redundant facilities in Leixlip being used for something new but that others would close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

And Shannon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I saw a load of boxes with Intel written on them on the quayside in dublin port last week!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No need to panic. They're revamping FAB 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Terry wrote: »

Sorry Terry but I don't think even the Thunderbirds can save us this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

close enough :) Kildare is practically a suburb of Dublin as this stage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

IBM has just announced they are pulling out off manufacturing Ireland

jezko wrote: »
    And people say this country is finished.
    At this rate it will never be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

omahaid wrote: »
    And Shannon!!

I was in Shannon.

Lovely girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Somebody should tell them the pulling out technique doesn't work.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1020/breaking41.html

190 of "high end jobs" that this Government keeps Promising to bring to Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

As someone who lives in leixlip I hope not! the town would be screwed otherwise. Thye have been letting people go though quietly in the past few months, I know two people who lost their jobs there.

And yes, Leixlip is in KILDARE, and all of it too, dont mind what people in confey like to think!

df1985 wrote: »
    As someone who lives in leixlip I hope not! the town would be screwed otherwise. Thye have been letting people go though quietly in the past few months, I know two people who lost their jobs there.

And yes, Leixlip is in KILDARE, and all of it too, dont mind what people in confey like to think!
    Quiet, you.
    You only wish that you could live in the non-smelly part of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Not true...yet. It's just 200 people. IBM constantly changes the workforce in its manufacturing plant to match demand. You rarely hear about it though. And when they 'let people go' in manufacturing, they actually 'redistribute' many of them to other areas (there's a huge sales & support operation in Blanchardstown, North Dublin)

Oh, and I'm an IBM employee, but not part of their PR team :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The Intel thing was spoken of on this very website a month or more ago. Bye bye intel. I never bought your **** anyway, good luck with de-brainwashing your staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    close enough :) Kildare is practically a suburb of Dublin as this stage ;)

Kildare is a surburb of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

meh, all sounds like pro-America propaganda for America to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

453_intelgnsp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

fungun wrote: »
    meh, all sounds like pro-America propaganda for America to me.

You don't understand what propaganda is do you?

And when they 'let people go' in manufacturing, they actually 'redistribute' many of them to other areas

"redistributing" them to the social welfare office is still getting sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

You don't understand what propaganda is do you?

lol, check out the timing in terms of American politics, mate.

Long term I may agree with you but for now that announcement is an American political manouvre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

And people say this country is finished.
    At this rate it will never be finished.
    But we have turned the corner we have turned the corner, if i hear another knob from Fine Fail say that we have turned the corner there could be another political assassination in Ireland:eek:

Not true...yet. It's just 200 people. IBM constantly changes the workforce in its manufacturing plant to match demand. You rarely hear about it though. And when they 'let people go' in manufacturing, they actually 'redistribute' many of them to other areas (there's a huge sales & support operation in Blanchardstown, North Dublin)

Oh, and I'm an IBM employee, but not part of their PR team :D

Define Not True .. have been informed by a friend/Ex colleague that is "manufacturing" staff that the job IS gone by next March ...Yes they do tend to move most staff around to other "jobs" but NOT this time only "highly skilled" or Management level staff are being moved with a few infilling of positions in non manufacturing positions ... Only Software, Sales and Support etc will remain...

And It's NOT just 200 families with no Employment!! (Was told it will be more than 200 if they take into account Sub contractors/Temp Staff)

And for the record I was an IBM employee and have seen their "redistribution" in action...Was told in certain terms after being redistribute ..You don't like it here.. F off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

df1985 wrote: »
    Thye have been letting people go though quietly in the past few months, I know two people who lost their jobs there.
    Yeah something similar happened to Nortel in Galway a few years back. No announcements in the papers, no big headlines, just quietly dropped a few here and there. Not much left of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This isn't news, the last manufacturing section they have is the server section up in Dammastown and they let 400 go a few months back and the rest will be gone by December. They have moved the production lines to China, the same production lines that they moved from Italy to here over 10 years ago.

As for Intel they did the same 13 years ago and shut down the prefabrication of wafers in Fab 10 for it to be retooled to a newer process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been switching to AMD over the last few years anyway. Do you have any idea how crooked Intel is up at the top? Buy AMD folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All of the Intel sites compete with each other within the corporation for new contracts. Intel doesn't upgrade all of its factories to a new process when it comes out, that's not how it works. So it isn't a case of the Irish factory being neglected while the others get kept up to date.
    That said, Ireland lost out on the last round of bidding.
    I'd say the cost of electricity and labour reduced Irelands competitiveness, the recession may be in Intel Irelands favour if the costs go down enough, though I'm not sure we could ever match Asian fabs.
    If the EU managed to get us to raise our corporate tax I'd call it game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Intel is sending Irish employees over to America for a year to train, I am not sure if it is in preparation for a new factory upgrade or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

There's even LESS corporation tax in China and they get cheaper energy if they use "green" power for their factories.

They're OUTTA here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

We can't justify making stuff that should be cheap as chips on our wages. We need to be the people designing the chips.

Check out your next Apple product (I know you'll have one.) Designed by Apple in California. Made in China.

That's the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Nijmegen wrote: »
    We can't justify making stuff that should be cheap as chips on our wages. We need to be the people designing the chips.

Check out your next Apple product (I know you'll have one.) Designed by Apple in California. Made in China.

That's the future.

No need to wait, pretty much everything is made by foxconn anyways. Intel IRL could always make c2d for the new mb air :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

$500 million being spent on the revamp.
    fiona12 wrote: »
    Intel is sending Irish employees over to America for a year to train, I am not sure if it is in preparation for a new factory upgrade or not

They are being sent to back-fill the employees in the other Fabs so that they can get trained up on the new technology.

EDIT: It's not only 22nM technology, there are other reasons for needing new facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

fiona12 wrote: »

That is usually what happens, they go over learn the new processes and come back as trainers for the rest of the staff. It's a sweet deal, apartment paid for, expenses and a car if you need one. Missed out on getting to do that myself as I found out just after i was offered it that I was preggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1020/breaking41.html

190 of "high end jobs" that this Government keeps Promising to bring to Ireland...

You ought to take a look at the jobs promised at HP's site in Leixlip. They promised 500 (that never appeared) and moved out just as many (if not more) to Poland.

I remember one of the local FF TDs being there for the announcement......just missed them when the jobs were a no show and moved elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Few months ago IBM finished recruiting in Poland. I am not sure what for (Call Centre?) but heard that salary offered from 500Euro/month. So don't be jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

They manufacture 65nm and 90nm technologies ,they lost the 45/32nm contract to Israel and America ,fab 24.2 is running 4 cycle and over 100% heat index ,busy for the next few years.They are bidding on a variation of the Nehalem (core I3xx/5xx/7xx variation)with other sites at the moment.They will be busy for a few years trust me;)Mercury are ready to retrofit fab 10 when needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yep, they're already half shut down. And when Intel goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Could Intel be moving out?

Perhaps. These large multinationals are mainly here becasue of our corporation tax rate. Not becasue they think we are great craic
    Any day a decision could be made in an American board room and Intel or Microsoft or any other company could leave. And who would blame them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's a R&D Fab that's being built by Intel in Portland - Leixlip's F24 is a HVM Fab.
    Once the R&D is done it's put out to competition for all manufacturing sites to try win the latest technology, if they have the capacity, room, staff and facilities to be able to ramp. Just because F24 skipped that last technology, it doesn't mean it wont get the next one - not all fab's can be making the latest and greatest, the bread and butter stuff still needs to be manufactured too.
    With F14 sitting there ready to be filled with next generation processing tools, and Irish staff being asked to support the latest manufacturing in the US, it can only be good for the future of Intel in Leixlip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Interesting following the Intel debacle, just wondering if there has been any recent update on Intel's investment in Ireland?

Advertisement