Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway airport, new flying out fee

Options
  • 20-10-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hey I just wanted to say (because I just discovered this) that Aer Arran are now taking out a €10 charge for persons over 12 from 1st Nov, which is to be paid at the airport on departure.

I think this is crap for me at least because I would have seen flying up to Dublin to a connecting flight as a good alternative to taking the bus (horrible) or car (expensive & boring + you have to park).

Now it would be
    €10 Taxi to airport
    €10 Airport charge
    €30 Flight
    = € 50 Euro

Compared to
    Bus €15
    Car ~ €35-40 (incl toll) excluding parking

My pain threshold would be 30-35ish Euro to avoid taking the bus. I hate the bus even with the new "direct" route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Already here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056052180

and here:
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15360-airport-moves-bring-%E2%82%AC10-departure-fee-passenger

EDIT: Oops, sorry, thought the first link was in Galway City, I'm sure there was a thread here somewhere

It's Galway airport bringing in the fee not Aer Arann - I'm not sure if the Galway-Dublin flight would survive if the subsidy was cut/eliminated.

These numbers are from 2003 but they suggest each passanger was subsidised by €50 per one way trip back then
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/4803-0.pdf

Would you be willing to pay an extra €100 for your trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Aer Arann are merely collecting the payment.

It's Galway Airport that are charging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Sorry yeah it is Galway Airport of course (sorry Aer Arran!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title amended so people don't think it's Aer Arann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd be happy to pay it if they got a proper baggage claim carousel or at least one that doesn't just drop off at the end. That's kind of embarassing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That's them gone in a years time. Either the airport has a business case or it doesn't. Adding this headage charge to the overall cost will bury them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What odds a tax on puffy directing pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

As far as I know Knock airport also charges going to a match in Liverpool next month flying from knock was warned about €10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

eagle10 wrote: »
    As far as I know Knock airport also charges going to a match in Liverpool next month flying from knock was warned about €10
    Knock has been doing that for a couple of years now. Bloody "tourist tax"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Allegedly it's just bringing Galway in to line with the other airports, which already charge their own departure fees.

Personally, I just can't see how the bus is any more horrible than having to queue up like a sheep, pull the laptop out, empty the pockets, take the shoes off etc.

The new fee is about the same price as a taxi to the airport. It won't be likely to change my behaviour: if there's a flight from Galway to where I want to go, I'lll take the flight. If not I'll bus to Shannon, Cork, Dublin or Knock (in that order of preference) to get one that is going where I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Malice_ wrote: »
    Knock has been doing that for a couple of years now. Bloody "tourist tax"!

Someone told me before that this was voluntary though they dont tell you that when they've got their hand out for it! My grandparents got cornered for €20 each in Knock few years ago, they dont like flying and my grandad was i a wheelchair at the time and escaorted to plane and then to told to hand over €40, it left them very uneasy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

fifib wrote: »
    Someone told me before that this was voluntary though they dont tell you that when they've got their hand out for it! My grandparents got cornered for €20 each in Knock few years ago, they dont like flying and my grandad was i a wheelchair at the time and escaorted to plane and then to told to hand over €40, it left them very uneasy
    I don't remember it being voluntary but still that's pretty cheeky what happened to your grandparents.

There's a sign up in Knock beside the booth where you pay that says something along the lines of "Abuse of staff will not be tolerated". It always makes me smile when I'm passing it and grudgingly handing over my money.

Advertisement