Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On Jobseekers, husband getting paycut, not sure what to apply for or entitled to . .

• 20-10-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have been on jobseekers Benefit for 8 months and got a letter today saying I would be taken off it soon. I will be going down to the office to discuss it with them as I have worked over 12 years and am sure I am entitled to 12 months before they do that! I was on partial benefit (shorttime) since September until my employer died in March !

My real question is to do with the recent news my husband got. His salary is going to be slashed in half and long story short we have worked out that he will come out with roughly €1000 a month on a 3 day week going forward. In truth he would be let go due to financial constraints, but his boss is his dad and neither want him to be on the dole.

I am wondering what exactly will we be entitled to claim ?

Currently I get €196pw Jobseekers Benefit and will have to apply for the Allowance now.

My husband has been looking things up and speaking to the Citizen's information people, but it seems like everything is so complicated and unclear as to what exactly one should claim for.

For example.

My husband was told that on a salary of €230.80pw and including Jobseekers Allowance (that we presume I will be entitled to), he might be best to apply for Jobseekers Allowance himself for the two days he isnt working. Apparantly he would get two days subsidised, but because we also have a child, we might actually be entitled to get up to €355pw (for family allowance in total), which I dont really understand!

Then there is Family Income Supplement which we can apply for , but only if we dont apply for jobseekers Allowance (or one of us can apply for each one or something like that). . Then there are fuel allowance etc and I have no clue what to do regarding that!

Not just that, we were told that the Mortgage Interest supplement is completely a lottery and they can refuse if your mortgage is too big. Our mortgage interest is €950 (we are on interest only) a month , I would of thought that this is about the average ? My husband has been down twice to see the community welfare officer and didnt get a chance to even meet them because the queueing system is crazy (they hand out tickets to see CWO at 10.15 and its a free-for-all for people to get a ticket first!).

One last thing is if anybody could advise on how the social welfare treat expenses. My husband drives in his job alot and gets a set amount each month to cover petrol (doesnt even cover it, but thats another story!). I presume they wouldnt include that as his salary since its for work ?

Any advice or info would be much appreciated. Just trying to get an idea of where we might be financially as its nerve wrecking wondering how we will keep our family afloat without any sort of state aid and its confusing to know which aid to apply for.

Advertisement