Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - Blue screen errors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

The first thing in the top corner is about the CPU.

Below it says

L1 Cache: 64K 49184MB/s
    L2 Cache: 512K 15874MB/s
    L3 Cache: None

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its up there somewhere along with the speed of the DIMMs :confused::o

This then maybe:
    Settings: RAM  :  666MHz (DDR1333) / CAS : 9-9-9-20 / DDR3 (64 Bits)

That's it :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    That's it :)

Finally :)

Do those timings look ok?

Its currently on pass 7 of the second module (the one i think is faulty), still no errors though

• Advertisement

Yep :)

But that means something else is causing the BSODs :(

Did you ever update/reinstall your chipset drivers?

I installed all the drivers that came with the mobo.

Is there a chance it could still be the ram, because a lot of the BSOD errors were memory errors.

They could also be caused by the hard drive, which is usually a result of a driver conflict or buggy HDD.

Are you sure the memory is running at 1333MHZ 9-9-9-20 in the BIOS?

Yup, from what I can see in the bios its running at 1333MHz.

Gah! banghead.gif

Run CHKDSK, see if there's a bad sector or file format errors. In My Computer right-click your OS partition (C:\), select Properties > Tools > Error-Checking and let CHKDSK run on the next startup. So long as you have an hour or two to spare :o

Otherwise try installing the latest chipset drivers for your mobo from the manufacturer's website.

• Advertisement

Will do, Im not sure if I mentioned this already but I actually got a BSOD before I actually had windows installed.

It was the first time I turned on the new build and inserted the windows cd. It was extracting or copying files and a blue screen occured.

May be of some significance. I'll try running chkdsk anyway.

Thanks.

Hmm... try running MemTest again, also try resetting CMOS, then flashing the latest BIOS to your mobo, CMOS reset again and restore your memory timings.

Has it been BSODing much since you sorted the memory?

Its doing it pretty much every day when i turn on the pc for the first time.

Atm I have just one of the modules in, so i'll see if I get BSOD tomorrow when I turn it on and if I dont then im pretty sure its the other module.

Hmm... some kind of cold-boot issue? BIOS update might be worth the hassle...

Ya i had thought about that but it looked like a bit of hassle. At this stage though i dont have a choice. i'll see what happens when i turn it on tomorrow and go from there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Cold boot issues could means theres the possibility the PSU is the problem. Also is there any chance you could copy the dump logs from the BSOD?

Well turned on the pc this morning and no blue screen. I'll see if i get any over the next few days and if not I can put it down to the ram.

Well another few blue screens and restart issues in the past few days so guess it is not the ram. Is there any way to test the PSU without just replacing it with a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

u need to narrow down the problem, bsod can be a lot of things. no point going from one component to another just yet and lots of suggestions made already.

I downloaded bluescreen view and for the last blue screen error the dump shows nearly all .sys files. Driver problems.

Iv attached a html report showing all the bsods, not sure if there is anything you can tell from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

mossy464 wrote: »
    I downloaded bluescreen view and for the last blue screen error the dump shows nearly all .sys files. Driver problems.

Iv attached a html report showing all the bsods, not sure if there is anything you can tell from that.
    can u post or rar the original report cheers

The actual dmp files?

Here are all the dmp files.

Well after a long while wondering what could be causing the problem, I firstly got my friend to test the PSU in his machine and he had no problems or blue screens so that ruled that out.

I then decided to get one new stick of RAM to test it and since then I havent had a blue screen, next step is to contact OCZ to get a refund or replacement for the faulty RAM.

Not sure what their procedure is. Anyone had any dealings with them before?

One other question, when I set my pc to sleep the PSU stays on. Anyone know why this would be?

Im running Windows 7 64 Bit and I've checked the powers settings etc but cant find anything in there.

Thanks

Advertisement