Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn baby Acne

Options
  • 20-10-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there, my son is only a month old, and his face is full of those red spots, and I don't really know if they are normal or not. I want bring him to the GP, but at the same time, don't know if is really necessary!!! Please help me, have you had the same experience with your newborn baby???
    Thank you!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Totally normal, they all get it. Go easy on the washing and the wipes and it will resolve itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They were referred to as milk spots to me when my kids were little. They fade away after a while, youre not doing anything to cause them, dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

Thanks Grawns, very interesting link about it.

Oryx, I thought it could be the milk, when the baby is breastfeeding, and falls asleep on the breast. The milk that leaks on his face could be causing the spots.

Thank you both!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's just your hormones in his body, giving him spots. It's completely normal.

If you're worried about them being itchy or sore take a visit to your doctor or the pharmacist.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's just your hormones in his body, giving him spots. It's completely normal.

If you're worried about them being itchy or sore take a visit to your doctor or the pharmacist.

Hey Das Kitty, I was worried that it could be something else, and not just spots, but, It is only on his face, which make me a bit more relaxed about it.
    I am giving him bath every day, and washing his face with boiled cooled water once a day too.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

I just want to second that it's most likely your hormones coming through the breastmilk. It's really something you should be warned about to save unneccessary worry at a time that's inundated with worry! A peadiatrician also told me that the hormones coming through the breastmilk can result in a bloody discharge in baby girls. I was happy to be forewarned as that would just about have resulted in me having a heart attack!
    It sounds like you're doing a perfect job and you'll know yourself if they appear to be causing pain/irritation, in which case you should speak to your public health nurse/doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

What I found helped my lad was giving his face a very gentle wipe after each feed with some cotton wool and water and patting it dry with a muslin cloth. I also used one of those tommee tippee bibs with the padded bit around the neck - it was great for soaking up the dribbles. It faded by the time he was 8 weeks old.

Cat Melodeon and Nicki123...
    Thank you guys very much for the replies... it was very good to hear about your experiences too.
    I've been doing what you guys told me and my baby's face seems to be much better, Hopefully within a few more days, they will be gone!!!
    By the way, we took his passport picture yesterday, and we can't even notice the spots.:D:D
    Thanks a lot!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My nephew had baby acne. His mammy and daddy kept going on about how bad it was but I could hardly notice it!

I'm sure it looks far worse to you than anyone else and like the others said, you're not doing anything wrong, its just a hormonal thing!

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭analbeads

it has nothing to do with being bottle fed or breastfed. my little one got them when she was about 7 weeks old and my G.P told me that most newborns get them when they are around 6 weeks old so its nothing to worry about;)

My nephew had baby acne. His mammy and daddy kept going on about how bad it was but I could hardly notice it!

I'm sure it looks far worse to you than anyone else and like the others said, you're not doing anything wrong, its just a hormonal thing!

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy :D

Hi crazy cat lady... I'm sure it looks worse to the parents than anyone else...
    Thank you!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My public health nurse recommended that I applied olive oil to the acne & I found it cleared it up pretty quick :)

It smells a bit, so I used to put it on at night time only. Its also great for clearing up cradle cap.

Thanks everybody for the replies, my son's face is much better now. It was really bad for a week, and he still has some spots, but not as bad... I keep washing his face with cooled boiled water...
    Thanks a lot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jackburke

My son had baby acne also, it can be a very stressful time for the parents wondering what is the cause and how to find a solution. Below is a similar story to what worked for us.

http://koalakids.ie/Blog/baby-acne-what-cured-it-for-my-baby/

Advertisement