Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bursaspor

• 20-10-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭

Manchester United: Wantaway striker Wayne Rooney is spared a cacophony of boos by being injured (ankle), while Ryan Giggs is out with a hamstring injury picked up in the 2-2 draw at home to West Brom. Michael Carrick could return to partner Darren Fletcher in midfield, while Antonio Valencia is a long-term absentee with a broken leg. Ji-sung Park is doubtful (knee) as is Owen Hargreaves, who has recovered from serious knee problems but has a calf injury. Michael Owen and Jonny Evans are also out.

Bursaspor: Turkey winger Volkan Sen should return for the Turkish league champions and leaders, who are yet to win a point in the Champions League this season. The 23-year-old was dropped for the Turkcell Premier League match against Karabukspor at the weekend as punishment for travelling without permission to see his girlfriend in the USA.

Kick off 19:45
    Sky Sports 2 (19:30-22:00)
    Sky Sports HD2 (19:30-22:00)
    RTE Two (19:30-22:00 Ireland Only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Looking forward to tonight. Hope that Anderson and Chico get another chance to impress. Would like to see Evans and Rafael in also, let the youngsters get some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight. Hope that Anderson and Chico get another chance to impress. Would like to see Evans and Rafael in also, let the youngsters get some experience.

Your predictions tonight so PHB? score and team? Evans is meant to be out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Be nice to actually watch us and remove some of the doom and gloom thats surrounded us over the last 2 days. Want a good performance tonight and a big 3 points to bring us close to qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Posted this in the superthread but this is probably the better place for it with the Rooney discussion going on over there:

Team I would like to see line up for tonights match with Bursaspor:

VDS

Raf----Ferdinand--Vidic----Evra

Nani---Anderson--Carrick---Obertan

Chico
    Berbatov

I've put in Anderson and Carrick in the centre of the park and although many may not agree, I think we have seen Carrick in decent form so far and I thought he did well on Saturday in the first half, I believe a run of games may help his form to keep developing. Anderson is looking good going forward and pitch time is only going to help to bring back his match sharpness.

Regarding Obertan, this is presuming Giggs is still injured and that we will be using a 4-4-2 at home to weaker opposition as opposed to the 4-5-1 which SAF likes to use in Europe.

Would like to see Bébé getting some more pitch time as well as Owen to keep him game sharp, maybe the last half hour if we are looking well.

Based on the last few performances I dont really want to see Gibson getting on, last season I was all on for giving him time as I believed he had the ability but IMO he doesnt appear to have developed and at the minute is not United quality. This may well change if he blossoms later on in his career as Fletcher did, but for the minute he doesnt quite make the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Weird, I saw somewhere that this was kicking off at 6pm. Am I losing my mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Weird, I saw somewhere that this was kicking off at 6pm. Am I losing my mind?

Think the programme begins at 6pm on Sky Sports bit k.o isn't until the usual 7.45pm

Think the programme begins at 6pm on Sky Sports bit k.o isn't until the usual 7.45pm

Ah, that'll be it. 1hr45mins of over-analysing Rooney, then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I think I'll watch this on the Murdoch Channel, Dunphy might be a bit much to take tonight, even for the comedic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Time to move on.

VDS
    O'Shea, Rio, Vida, Evra,
    Nani, Fletch, Scholes, Obertan
    Chicharito, Berba

A win would do wonders for everyone.

I'd like to see:

VDS

Raf
    Evans
    Vidic----Fabio

Chico
    Berbatov

Don't think we need Fletcher in the middle. Would like to see Ferdinand given a rest. Wouldn't mind seeing Vidic given a rest. Evra still needs a rest imo. Nani is hungry enough so it should be fine for him to play.

Stoke's on Sunday though so I'm not sure how big a concern it will be.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see:

VDS

Raf
    Evans
    Vidic----Fabio

Chico
    Berbatov

Don't think we need Fletcher in the middle. Would like to see Ferdinand given a rest. Wouldn't mind seeing Vidic given a rest. Evra still needs a rest imo. Nani is hungry enough so it should be fine for him to play.

Stoke's on Sunday though so I'm not sure how big a concern it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm half dreading/half can't wait for Dunphy tonight.

It'll all be Fergies' fault, guaranteed.

Dunphy's already waded in, don't worry:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1020/rooneyw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

a easy win for united i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

2 - 0 to MU with Chico and Berbs up front starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

a easy win for united i think

Hope so but generally playing Turkish teams is tough , fans are kind of intimidating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hope so but generally playing Turkish teams is tough , fans are kind of intimidating

Utd are at home:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

What I said is still true , but I did think they were playing away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United fans are much louder away than at home, probably hear more of the Turkish tonight, tbh.

baz2009 wrote: »
    United fans are much louder away than at home, probably hear more of the Turkish tonight, tbh.

Well IF the UTD team are intimidated(or however you want to put it) by the minor Turkish crowd, ahead of their own home support?, then they shouldnt be on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Well IF the UTD team are intimidated(or however you want to put it) by the minor Turkish crowd, ahead of their own home support?, then they shouldnt be on the pitch.
    I guess you've never been to an away game before bud.
    What he said was bang on, at home games the crowd are like docile little girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

PIG
    Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
    Nani Fletcher Carrick Anderson Park
    Macheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

anyone know the subs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dunphy on the panel tonight for RTE?! 45 minutes isn't going to be half long enough for him and the Rooney saga...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Macheda leading the line on his own? Wasn't expecting that at all

Archimedes wrote: »
    PIG
    Macheda

Is that the team?

digme wrote: »
    I guess you've never been to an away game before bud.
    What he said was bang on, at home games the crowd are like docile little girls.

I never mentioned ANYTHING about UTDS away support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

home crowd are quite do ya understand lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

smokedeels wrote: »
    anyone know the subs?

Amos
    Neville
    Berbatov
    Chico
    O'Shea
    Obertan
    Bebe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mars bar wrote: »
    Is that the team?

Yup

Subs: Amos, Neville, O'Shea, Bebe, Obertan, Berbatov, Hernandez,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Hopefully the crowd with be right up for it! Cmon United!

PIG
    Macheda

5 in he middle AND Park?! Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

baz2009 wrote: »
    5 in he middle AND Park?! Wtf?

That would be 4 in the middle and park...

Yup

Subs: Amos, Neville, O'Shea, Bebe, Obertan, Berbatov, Hernandez,

Very attack minded subs bench there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anderson in the second striker/attacking midfield role he has been excellent in, i would think it's obvious.
    mars bar wrote: »
    Very attack minded subs bench there!

Yeah, i like the look of that bench, should bring a few goals if we need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anderson in the second striker/attacking midfield role he has been excellent in, i would think it's obvious.

Totally agree with this, he did good there against Valencia while he tracked back and broke up play very well that day. Really been pleased with him since he came back from injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

One of the guys on the Rte panal will end up getting a heart attack argueing about Rooney. Dunphy im looking at you..

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    One of the guys on the Rte panal will end up getting a heart attack argueing about Rooney. Dunphy im looking at you..

Just like I am right now reading this phrase for Anderson! Lot more to do to win me over!!

Dunphy is gonna love this, RTE knows everyone is waiting for him
    viewers++

R_H_C_P wrote: »

"Rooney has been abused. He has been abused by Ferguson..."

Some language there Dunphy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What's the story with Ferdinand and VDS lads? Injured?

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see if he quotes Roy Keane seeing as Roy came out a few years back saying Eamon is no friend of mine.

Over the top comments
    followed by Giles "agreeing with Eamon to a point"
    followed by sleeping pill Brady with the "level headed" approach

playa3 wrote: »

Extra game-time for Smalling and PiG I'd say.

playa3 wrote: »

Just a break I would say. Ferdinand is not so long back from injury so good to give him a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

WTF is with that team?! We need to go out and win..... Start attacking and make changes when necessary, not the other f*ckin way round, we are at home ffs!

I hope I'm wrong I really do, but that team makes me nervous!

Smalling will save us. He's got a lovely little knack of getting goals!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm avoiding RTÉ until right before kick-off time. Dunphy's polemics are getting unbearable at this stage.

I can see this being an extremely dull game.
    I'll go 1-0 United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It will be 0-0 at half time an Dunphy will nearly choke on his bridgework in hiseagerness to declare United finished once-and-for-all-this-time-I-mean-it-really-honestly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

that team will probably win but it will need some help from the sideline to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Not much up front, lot of holding the ball then berbatov or hernandez will come and probably a goal or two

• Advertisement
Advertisement