Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned pumpkin

Options
  • 20-10-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Continuing my spate of uninteresting threads, where can I pick up some of this in Dublin? I tried Fallon & Byrne but they didn't have any in stock.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Fancy trying my hand at pumpkin pie this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think you're going get better luck with real pumpkin. They're 99c in Dunnes afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 schlep

Apparently there was a bad pumpkin harvest in the US and this is having a knock on effect on the availability of canned pumpkin...not sure if I believe it but that's what I've been told

Fallon & Byrne do their own pumpkin puree (just in the fridge on the left on the way in the front door) which would take the hassle out of buying a whole pumpkin...although it's probably about 5 times the price of buying a whole pumpkin so it's up to you

I couldn't find canned pumpkin 2 years ago either and I made a pumpkin pie from scratch with a whole pumpkin and it worked out really well

I understand the carving pumpkins, whilst edible, aren't bred for eating, what kind of pumpkin did you use for pumpkin pie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They should have smaller eating pumpkins in the supermarkets too. They are usually labelled differently afaik. I don't know where to get them just yet cause I haven't gone looking for one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

The 'lantern' pumpkins are tasty i think, I made a soup out of one at the weekend and it was delicious. Are the other varities tastier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Bought one last weekend and just washed it and threw it in to the oven as it was. Not sure if this is the correct way to cook it?

Anyone locate any tins of the stuff for when I'm feeling incredibly lazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

http://www.americanfood.ie/

I think these guys are in Blackrock. They have it in Fallon & Byrne and some Avocas (Rathcoole)

Brilliant! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

olaola wrote: »
    http://www.americanfood.ie/

I think these guys are in Blackrock. They have it in Fallon & Byrne and some Avocas (Rathcoole)

Awesome stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Donnybrook Fair usually has tinned pumpkin, because they
    are close to both the US and Canadian embassies, i think.

Advertisement