Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Window Pane (double glazing)

• 20-10-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I noticed during the summer that the inside pane of glass in one of our rooms has a few cracks. We have a black out blind and only noticed it when we were cleaning the windows.
    My question is do i need to get both panes replaced or just the cracked one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Just the cracked one, and it's not too expensive. I was sitting in my living room and my window just cracked for no apparent reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

Just the cracked one, and it's not too expensive. I was sitting in my living room and my window just cracked for no apparent reason!
    Cheers.
    I believe that ours may have cracked in the cold weather and just got worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

you have to replace them both. they come as a sealed unit. you can get someone who'll cowboy a new pane on the inside but the seal will be broken and it will fog up. if you're in dublin, pm me and i'll fix it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

how did u replace one pane? does it fog up??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

kitser wrote: »
    you have to replace them both. they come as a sealed unit. you can get someone who'll cowboy a new pane on the inside but the seal will be broken and it will fog up. if you're in dublin, pm me and i'll fix it for you

No need for cowboys!
    ronaldo84 wrote: »
    how did u replace one pane? does it fog up??

I simply removed the entire double glazed unit from the window and brought it to my local double glazed window manufacturer who removed the broken pane and replaced it with a new one. I had rang them in advance to make sure they could do it in the same day, so as I only had my window boarded up for a minimum amount of time. PM me if you want for the company (in Dublin) (no connection)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

I rang a local company who replaced it for me. They said it came as a sealed unit, cost was 80 euro. Not too bad, i thought it was have been dearer.

Advertisement