Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Intel or AMD

Options
  • 20-10-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

A friend wants to get a new computer and wants it specifically to play games as he's been out of the loop for a while. About the only thing he can take from his old PC is case, keyboard, monitor, the rest is just too out of date.

I was recommending he get an i5 suitable motherboard as he'll then have the potential to upgrade to i7 in the future while keeping the cost down now (a big concern)

Some thing like ,
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189292

My computer here at work has an i5 650 which isn't as powerful as the quad core I have at home (Q6700) so I was hoping for something a bit more powerful than that one. But looking at the offerings on ebuyer they can get quite pricey.

Having said that I know nothing about AMD chips around now other than they're slightly cheaper. Would an AMD system give much better value for money?

His budget would be €500. Outside of games it'll be just a family PC for internet surfing and photos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The i5 650 should be better than your Q6700

There's two intel desktop sockets at the moment - 1366 and 1156. The 1156 supports i3 and i5 and has a few i7s. If your friend gets an i5 now, the limited i7s for that board probably wouldn't be worth upgrading to (as price drops in the older tech isn't as good as the latest). Both intel sockets will be succeeded shortly, so your upgrade paths will be limited.

As for AMD, they haven't confirmed what's happening with their processors (i.e., if they're going to move to a new socket or offer compatibility), but they are preparing a new line 'soon'.
    The i5 will give you better peformance for gaming, but graphics card will be your main worry. With a budget that tight, it might be a good idea to go with AMD as your money would go further in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Monotype wrote: »
    I was surprised at that to but the windows 7 index thing rates the Q6700 higher.

The Q6700 got a score of 7.1, I'll have to wait until I'm back at work to find out the other score but as far as I can remember it was lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Monotype wrote: »

The i5 650 is only a dual-core.

If you want an idea of the best gaming pc you can get for €500, take a look at the last few pages of the budget gaming pc thread stickied in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

somakasvh wrote: »
    The i5 650 is only a dual-core.

So it is. :o

Advertisement