Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attachment parenting .....I'm not convinced..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Look, I don't care how other people raise their kids either - it was just an issue I was putting out there, to see what others thought. Sorry I spoke now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I "babywear". It's a quick way of explaining "yeah I carry my baby but not in my arms, in a sling because it is comfortable and easier than carrying in my arms or using a buggy". :)

You could also say 'I carry my baby':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I practiced attachment parenting with my first child. Mind you, it was completely by accident. :P It would have been nice to put her down from time to time, get her to sleep in her own bed or somewhere that wasn't in my arms. But she outwitted us.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm one of those who does a lot of what is called attachment parenting, simply because that's what works for us. I also do the whole home-cooked organic thing - unemployment has it's benefits, I guess. I'm not a smug type, I do well to get my hair brushed by 3pm and can't wait for In the Night Garden to come on because I can have a cup of coffee without being assaulted. I don't use all the terminology though - I think I'd cut my own tongue out rather than actually say out loud "yes, I attachment parent" or "I babywear".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm one of those who does a lot of what is called attachment parenting, simply because that's what works for us.
    <snip>
    I don't use all the terminology though - I think I'd cut my own tongue out rather than actually say out loud "yes, I attachment parent" or "I babywear".

I think that's the point the OP was making, about people who loudly proclaim their parenting style.....instead of just getting on with it!

I have a friend who can't talk about her children without referring to the book she's following to rear them. The other night she expressed amazement that I was going to 'let' my hubbie mind the wee buck sometimes when I go back to work! (not really relevant, but had to share)

My pal is going to a 'babwearing workshop' this weekend....:eek::eek::eek:

I've heard it all now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i didn't read any books or go to any classes before i had my daughter, just got on with it really. i don't see the point in piling on "rules" to an already hectic job. common sense really does the trick.

i will however be needing serious studying for the teenage years, you can't go into that blind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

i think if you give your child lots of love and attention - you can call it anything you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please note that if anyone uses the anon posting function to break the site rules esp those about personal abuse we can compare that post against thier boards accounts and people have been banned for abusing the anon posting function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Anyone see the program called *Honey I suckled the Kids* last night?
    It was on one of those sky channels and will probably be on again.
    two families one in the UK and one in the US practicing attachment parenting.
    Interesting watching the 5 yr old being breastfed in tandem with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Anyone see the program called *Honey I suckled the Kids* last night?
    It was on one of those sky channels and will probably be on again.
    two families one in the UK and one in the US practicing attachment parenting.
    Interesting watching the 5 yr old being breastfed in tandem with the baby.
    I saw that! :eek: A bit OTT if you ask me, especially the woman who didn't even use nappies.

At all.

Instead she just let her child pee whenever/wherever he wanted, including over the balcony of her home, Etc.

As with all similar TV programs I imagine this one only shows the extremes, i.e., most attachment parents are not like the people protrayed.

Fair play to those who (can) do this, it's not for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I was watching that program too. I was on board with everything except that Elimation Control - no nappy wearing bit. ... I came across that about 9 years ago when looking for information about potty training my daughter and thought it was mad. You would have to have eyes like a hawk to catch the child before the poo:eek:

Even in the program there were a number of occasions when she had to cleen up pee, and even worse the time the baby pooed on the floor:( - no thanks not for me!

What puzzled me the most was why they took the kid out into the garden/over the balcony/into the ditch all the time? Why would you teach your child to pee and poo wherever it was ? Why when they were at home did they not always use the bathroom?

The english couple with the 5yr old still breastfeeding were a good example of it working well for them. They were still co-sleeping with the youngest - but clearly the older two had moved into their own rooms and beds in their own time. So it was clearly something that was a short lived thing - and sure whats the harm of giving your child that extra security for their formative years?

I had (unknowingly) been an attachment parent with my eldest lad, I carried him everywhere, he did not like a buggy... so it was easier. He sat on my knee always .. and was like a limpet, I just got used to having him with me constantly.

He is now 19 and we barely see him !!l:D .... so it not forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

In my opinion some people like to be in a box or in a certain category, some may feel like they are not confident enough to use their own parenting style so they read the book and that's the way it's going to go with them because it makes them feel safe. I suppose it's better than going into parenting without a clue what's in store like I did with my first!eek. But this style seems a little extreme for me! I'd encourage the little one to venture instead of being attached 24/7.

Advertisement