Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Cards to run latest games e.g. COD7

• 20-10-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what card(s) would I need to run the likes of COD7 Black Ops at full resolution, with all bells and whistles on. 16x AA... I have a motherboard that supports ATI (Crossfire) PCI Express x16 2.0

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

COD7 shouldn't be particularly taxing since consoles are holding these games back graphically.

As for what card you should buy, your budget and existing setup would probably help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

COD7 shouldn't be particularly taxing since consoles are holding these games back graphically.

As for what card you should buy, your budget and existing setup would probably help.

Yes that's probably true regarding the console generation of games.

My rig is:
    • Quad Core Q6600 (clocked at 3.33GHz)
    • 8GB DDR3 RAM 1066MHz
    • 2x 150GB Raptors in RAID0
    • ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi AP@N Motherboard (Has room for 2 cards: ATI Crossfire PCI Express 2.0 x16)
    • 2x ATI 3870 Graphics Cards in crossfire mode

Budget would be 500-700 for the card(s).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

How many monitors do you have (or planning on getting)? and what resolution are they?

It is more than likely a single card for around the 150-200 mark will do you fine.

Currently it's a Samsung 226BW 8000:1 contrast ratio and 2MS refresh rate.
    I think it's something like 1920x1024

I have a 32" 1080P that I might use.

Unlikely but possible, I might be getting a 42" Samsung LED

Don't mean to make things complicated.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

cant go wrong with a 5870

or 2x 5850s

and if you want to go mental

oh what is the wattage and make of your PSU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if your going to be spending big money on a gpu or two id wait for a month or two until the ati 6950, 6970, and 6990 come out and if your budget is around the 200 mark you cant go wrong with buying a 1 gig gtx 460 (have one myself great card)

I have a 750W Coolermaster PSU. I can't remember the model off the top of my head.

Might be worth looking at this 6 series when they come out. Although I would have liked to have the card(s) before COD7 came out. It would make more sense to wait until the 6 series comes out though.

I have completely ruled nVidia out as I would prefer to have the option of going crossfire if I only bought one high-end ATI card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Auvers wrote: »
    cant go wrong with a 5870

or 2x 5850s

and if you want to go mental

oh what is the wattage and make of your PSU

Hold on we don't have to spend it all :p

AMD are launching their next generation of cards on Friday I would wait to see how that will affect prices across the board over the next few weeks.

Benchmarks for COD:MW were about 60FPS for a HD5770 @ 1920X1200 (X4AA), I doubt that Treyach will change the habit of a lifetime and have signifigantly enhanced the game engine in the meantime so i would expect broadly similar numbers this time around.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5830,2564-6.html

That is your minimum entry point @1080p card starting for about 120 euros or so and will almost certainly be able to completely max out COD:BO.

There are a few games (and more in the next year) that the 5770 will struggle with at the highest DX11 setting at 1080p so realistically I would go at least the next level up which is the NVidia GT 460 or wait and see what AMD come up with.

Advertisement