Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban threads on religion/atheism from AH

Options
  • 20-10-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

There seems to be loads of threads on religion or atheism appearing in AH as of late. Whats worse is that each one also degenerates into the same slagging match after a while usually with the same culprits each time.

Then there are other threads that end up being hijacked by these type of debates.

Given that there are already forums for religion and atheism i don't see why there needs to be loads of threads in AH when there is already a home for them elsewhere on boards. I think at this stage a lot of AH posters are sick of these threads.

Can we not just ban these threads from AH or move them?

AH is my favourite forum on Boards but these bloody threads are ruining what is otherwise a brilliant forum.:mad:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Using your logic all politics threads etc should be moved also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

absolutely not. although i do think there are some repeat offenders (not afraid to name names but i think we all know who they are) who should be restricted or not allowed in posting in such threads because they just don't debate with logic. they keep themselves close-minded, act victimised when someone challenges their point of view and so on.

besides, religion is nothing to take seriously anyway. if you can't handle an atheism thread on after hours, you probably shouldn't be posting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

absolutely not. although i do think there are some repeat offenders (not afraid to name names but i think we all know who they are) who should be restricted or not allowed in posting in such threads because they just don't debate with logic. they keep themselves close-minded, act victimised when someone challenges their point of view and so on.

besides, religion is nothing to take seriously anyway. if you can't handle an atheism thread on after hours, you probably shouldn't be posting there.

It's not that i can't handle the threads, i used to enjoy posting and debating in them back when one was'nt being started every other day on AH. It's more that i'm sick of seeing what is effectively the same thread being recycled constantly on AH.

It's not that i can't handle the threads, i used to enjoy posting and debating in them back when one was'nt being started every other day on AH. It's more that i'm sick of seeing what is effectively the same thread being recycled constantly on AH.

after hours goes through phases. i prefer this atheism versus religion era when i think back to last week and the week before last where if i hit up AH, i'd be met with a siege of threads based on the government or the economy. give it time, the threads will come in and out of fashion but they won't be as - permanent - as they seem to be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

There was a thread in here a couple of weeks ago giving out about threads in AH being locked or moved. Now we've one about threads not being locked or moved in AH.!

Ah Scuid Mhór said, it's a phase. It'll be something else next week.
    Plus when someone starts a thread on a particular subject in AH, someone else is bound to start another one from a different side of view.
    If i went and started a thread about butter, someone'd undoubtibly start one on margarine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a pretty long phase tbh. These type of threads have been appearing for a good while now. And as i've said there are forums on Boards that are there for debate on religion or atheism.

There's also this in the AH charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63136796#post63136796

yes okay but while i've lurked the atheism/agnostic forum, i've noticed it's much more - serious - than after hours is. i know where i'd want to post a casual debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Don't read them. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't read them. Simples.

Yep, I got involved in one of them today. Never again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think its easy enough not to read them. You dont honestly read each active AH thread every day do you? Theres a few dozen. It's madness. Most of it is of no interest to me, so I don't read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

AH thread topics run in cycles.

Next week its back to dole scrounging or bank stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Superthreads could be a good idea.

/runs away from AH mods.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Religion is always a tinderbox - especially in forums like AH where people are looking for something to get excited about.

If someone posts about religious stuff in AH it's because that's the road they want to go down. I've seen some of the threads you talk about there but would never get involved as some of the unbelievable nonsense posted would have you up all night writing strongly worded rebukes. :P

Do what I do and ignore them.

Advertisement