Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner - Turkey V's Goose

Options
  • 20-10-2010 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Recently a mate of mine said he used to have goose for christmas dinner, not turkey.

I have never heard of people eating goose for christmas dinner before and am just wondering if this is the norm or the same as eating swan.

Are there any people out there that do have goose for christmas dinner and if so how would you rate the goose v's the turkey in terms of uummmneesss as this all sounds like a hoax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I have never heard of people eating goose for christmas dinner before and am just wondering if this is the norm or the same as eating swan.

I hate saying it but...

/Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Recently a mate of mine said he used to have goose for christmas dinner, not turkey.

Are there any people out there that do have goose for christmas dinner and if so how would you rate the goose v's the turkey in terms of uummmneesss as this all sounds like a hoax

I've got a morbid fascination with every new thread you make. It seldom disappoints.

Goose is fairly common, in England at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

I haven't eaten swan now, just saying that I have heard of "mad" people's eating swan before and since have never heard of anyone eating goose I am going to throw the goose in to the swan boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Goosefat is great for making roast potatos...FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not as common in Ireland as England but it's still not that unusual to hear of somebody eating Goose for Christmas dinner.

Have you led a very sheltered life OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I haven't eaten swan now, just saying that I have heard of "mad" people's eating swan before and since have never heard of anyone eating goose I am going to throw the goose in to the swan boat

The queen eats swan. AND IMMIGANTS.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's not as common in Ireland as England but it's still not that unusual to hear of somebody eating Goose for Christmas dinner.

Have you led a very sheltered life OP?

I do lead a very sheltered life, spend most of my time in my command centre ( bedroom )

But no, have never heard of people eating goose for christmas before so this is new to me.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I've got a morbid fascination with every new thread you make. It seldom disappoints.

I do try to entertain while at the same time keeping it real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I've had goose for xmas dinner most years of my life. I'm in my thirties. I've heard that goose is more traditional and turkey is an American import.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I've had goose for xmas dinner most years of my life. I'm in my thirties. I've heard that goose is more traditional and turkey is an American import.

Interesting, so it does be true.
    I assume you have also had turkey so in your opinion what's nicer and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Turkey only became popular in the 60's or something with the advent of mass production of food and the end of the post-war depression in the UK (whereby everyone had a few bob and demanded a big bird on the Christmas table).

Goose is the traditional bird and will be my choice this Christmas too.

Long may you all choose Turkey and keep the prices down (pun!) for the delicious Goose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat"

Did you think this was a governement diabetes warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

- after the budget, Ireland's goose will be cooked one way or the other. Of course, the politicians will continue to swan around with their mercs & perks.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I do lead a very sheltered life, spend most of my time in my command centre ( bedroom )

Bet your 'soldier stands to attention' quite often in there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Never heard of people eating swan there too beautiful to be eaten. I have only ever had turkey for Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

as others have said, goose was always the traditional xmas dinner. have had it a few times, it's nice for a change, but prefer turkey.

goose is very greasy/fatty, like duck, has to be cooked well to expel the fat, and when cooked, not nearly as much meat as on a turkey.

a goose is also a lot more expensive than turkey. as someone else said, goosefat makes great roasties...yum yum

if you've never eaten it, then I would deffo recommend that try it!!

as others have said, goose was always the traditional xmas dinner. have had it a few times, it's nice for a change, but prefer turkey.

goose is very greasy/fatty, like duck, has to be cooked well to expel the fat, and when cooked, not nearly as much meat as on a turkey.

a goose is also a lot more expensive than turkey. as someone else said, goosefat makes great roasties...yum yum

if you've never eaten it, then I would deffo recommend that try it!!

never eaten it before, am intrigued now though. Don't think I would risk ruining christmas dinner though. Might purchase one and have it before or after christmas to judge how nice it is, then I'll make a decision.

not really into grease or fat though, prefer just meat really but worth a shot, thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat"

Did you think this was a governement diabetes warning?

Government propergander?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As far as I know, it used to be the norm before Turkeys became fashionable.
    It still is the norm in much of Europe, with the exception of the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Never heard of people eating swan there too beautiful to be eaten. I have only ever had turkey for Christmas dinner.

Swan was a major feast dish for the nobility. Any commoner caught killing and eating didnt survive long after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Turducken ftw!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

never eaten it before, am intrigued now though. Don't think I would risk ruining christmas dinner though. Might purchase one and have it before or after christmas to judge how nice it is, then I'll make a decision.

not really into grease or fat though, prefer just meat really but worth a shot, thnx

I would definitely recommend it, the meat is much richer and tastier than Turkey.

People throughout would sneer at eating Turkey, they regard it as rather tasteless and dry oversized chicken. Nowhere near nice and special enough for christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Samuel Pepys' diaries refer occasionally to them.

' To supper with my Lord, where had a dish of larks' - that kind of thing.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Never had goose for xmas day!! But my father always made goose for new years day!!! we all loved it!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

you should get out more - goose was in fact the traditional christmas dinner before turkey came along - lots of people still have goose - its more fatty, and there is less meat - its not as dry as turkey and very tasty and the goose fat makes the best roast potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I go for the Irish tradition of Turkey and Ham every year. I love it so much! When I first moved to England I went out for a Christmas lunch at work and ordered the Turkey...assuming that there would be ham with it. There wasn't :mad:

When I mentioned this to my colleagues they thought I was mad as apparently turkey doesn't come with ham in England! :eek:

To be honest, I love my turkey and ham so much that I would never even contemplate switching to goose. I'd have goose at a restaurant any time except Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i know where you are coming from..... first christmas I spend in the States I nearly cried when I got invited to some Ameriican's house for Christmas only to find out that they had ONLY A CHRISTMAS HAM. when I asked where was the turkey the told me that contrary to popular believe, americans don't have turkey for Christmas because they already have had it for Thanksgiving and they usually have ham or prime rib. I nearly cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Interesting, so it does be true.
    I assume you have also had turkey so in your opinion what's nicer and why?

I like turkey too, but if I had to decide I'd choose Goose, it's not as dry and has more flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

In our house we always have goose and duck for Christmas,new year and any other special festive occasion,as mentioned we save the fat and use it for the roast potatoes,we used to have a turkey as well but found that no one liked it,not even the children,so we gave up having the turkey....as mentioned lovely and tasty not as much messing about when cooking it either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Always, always, always have goose and ham for Christmas and New Years. It makes turkey taste like cardboard. So tasty.

Advertisement