Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you own a dalmatian?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

My dog is 15, a dalmatian, and starting to get a bit beat and worn down. His legs are getting wobbly, he seems to be going a bit deaf, and he can't walk for much more than 25 minutes at a time. He's probably got another year, maybe two, max. How old do they normally live to? Do they have a propensity towards any particular way of shuffling off the mortal coil? Blue-eyed dalmatians often have eye problems I hear, but my dog is brown-eyed and seems to have no problems yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

The average Dalmation life span is approx 12 years (by the guide books) so your guy is doing great to only have minor issues at 15! Most elderly dogs despite breed so tend to get a bit blind and deaf and smelly as they move into the twilight years! Its a sad time for owners as we see our bouncy playmates slow down but as you said you still have a bit more time to go yet! They are prone to deafness and due to their size can suffer with hip problems as they advance in years - Best thing is to make sure they have a very padded area to sleep on and remove pressure. Enjoy his twilight years and spend all the time you can with him even if he cant walk very far do try to get him up and out for short periods it will help him not to get so stiff. Again congrtas he has reached an amazing age and thats always down to a good lifestyle with an owner who cares so you should be very proud!

Advertisement