Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here ever done a TEFL course?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Thats Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I was googling it today and it seems quite expensive, can anybody tell me is it worth it? Is it difficult to pass and does it grant many opportunities employment wise? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

Thats Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I was googling it today and it seems quite expensive, can anybody tell me is it worth it? Is it difficult to pass and does it grant many opportunities employment wise? Any help appreciated, thanks.
    I did one a few years ago and personally I got very little out of it. I taught TEFL here for a while in the evenings but I didn't like the set-up at all. For example, on the course we were told there shouldn't be more than 12 in a class (I had a class of over 20) and your classes shouldn't be more than 40 minutes (the classes were 3 hours long).

If you're at a loose end there are worse things you can do, there are a lot of jobs abroad and places like Saudi and Japan pay quite well. There's not really a career in it though. Oh and I think competition is quite fierce at the mo because a lot of people are doing it because of the recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I was also wondering about these courses. How long does it take to finish ??

Advertisement