Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza base???

Options
  • 20-10-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So i have always bought a plan frozen pizza in the shops and added toppings myself as i am sure loads of people on here do. But I have always found that the base is rock hard when cooked and never tastes or feels like it does from lets say Pizza max or apache etc.

So I am wondering, where can i get a really nice pizza base ready made in dublin?

Thanks!!!!

P.S. not really arsed making my own pizza base....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I always use pre-made frozen puff pastry as a base. I think it's called 'Jus Roll'. Roll it out, put on some sauce with garlic through, grill some rashers, mix with peppers, onions, olives, some sweet chilli sauce, pile on top, sprinkle with grated cheese, bake,eat and say 'mmm.'Way nicer and lighter than any pizza base I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I always use pre-made frozen puff pastry as a base. I think it's called 'Jus Roll'. Roll it out, put on some sauce with garlic through, grill some rashers, mix with peppers, onions, olives, some sweet chilli sauce, pile on top, sprinkle with grated cheese, bake,eat and say 'mmm.'Way nicer and lighter than any pizza base I've ever used.

Jaysus that sounds AMAZING Ger! Thanks!
    Must look into that 'Jus Roll' puff pastry, I know of it but would have never though of using it like that. Would you just cook it for like 10 to 15 mins with all toppings at what degree?

Not a brilliant cook here by the way...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

It really is fabulous. I pile all the toppings on, leaving a clear edge, and bake in the oven at about 200 degrees for maybe 15 minutes. It obviously depends on how much and what kind of toppings you use. It's a definite knife and fork job, messy and yum .Enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks ger, i'm going to try this at the weekend for sure! Cheers!

abouttobebanned thanks for your link, I read this on a site when I googled 'Jus roll puff pastry pizza base' lol. Might try this too! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But I have always found that the base is rock hard when cooked and never tastes or feels like it does from lets say Pizza max or apache etc..
    Most people overcook frozen & fresh pizzas, I don't think I have ever seen a person undercook one, the sides are usually torched to bits. The pizza places simply are not overcooking them. I usually take at least 5mins off frozen pizza times, and 3-5 off fresh ones.

Chicago town takeaway ones are very similar to the likes of dominoes, think they are still on special in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I made pizza the last two nights. Mexican style
    My base, a tortilla. I try to avoid bread and i'm not a fan of doughy bases, this was the ultimate thin and crispy, toppings consisted of chilli (beef mince, seasoning, tomatoes), peppers, jalepenos, onion and cottage cheese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's really easy though (as a treat) to make the real deal using yeast in the base.
    I find the secret is not to overload the pizza and to pre-cook many of the toppings, then when you're ready to go, pizza yumminess in about 6 or 7 minutes each.
    Pizza directly onto oven shelf or one of those hole-y pizza trays is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

spurious wrote: »
    It's really easy though (as a treat) to make the real deal using yeast in the base.
    I find the secret is not to overload the pizza and to pre-cook many of the toppings, then when you're ready to go, pizza yumminess in about 6 or 7 minutes each.
    Pizza directly onto oven shelf or one of those hole-y pizza trays is good.

A chef friend of mine says the secret to authentic Italian pizza base is to use a kind of flour called Tipo OO if you can get your hands on it, and also to replace about a handful of the flour measurements in your recipe with semolina flour. I've tried the Tipo OO bit but not the semolina, and even that does give you pretty good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pizza made from puff-pastry? very unhealthy compared to regular pizza dough I would think.

+1 on making your own dough - Tipo00 is very difficult to get hold of in Ireland but strong bread flour does a decent job. its nothing like restaurant pizza, but thats because domestic ovens simply aren't hot enough and by the time the toppings are cooked, the base is overcooked. Its still good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

I make this dough several times a year and its really popular and well worth the effort.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

There are excellent fresh pizza bases (packs of 3 in a clear bag) in Fallon and Byrne. Definitely worth a try. They are not cheap at 7e per pack, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Have used naan bread before to make a smaller pizza, very nice. I know you can get ready made pizza dough in the Cork markets so lok around any of the markets in Dublin on the weekends, some of the bread makers might have some. Also, get a nice thick tomato sauce for the pizza, I used some more liquid sauce and ended up with the cheese not sticking and peeling off in a big sheet as I ate it :(

Thanks for the tip on Tipo 00, Ellian. Been always tempted to make my own bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I make this dough several times a year and its really popular and well worth the effort.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

I make that base sometimes. Its a quality recipe and pretty easy too.

Advertisement