Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Islamic Society Poster - Anti-Semetic?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Spotted this poster today for a talk by the UCD Islamic Society.

It shows an Israeli flag beside a plane flying into the twin towers (along with with the 'all seeing eye' pyramid).

Seems a bit anti-semetic, dodgy 9/11 conspiracy stuff to me.

The speaker Abdul Karim Hattin has been described as a homophobic "lunatic semi-literate" preacher.

What do people think?

ucdis.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This might be anti Israeli, or it might not, it doesn't say. I can't see how it is anti Semitic, unless you think that the inclusion of the twin towers, organised by Semites makes it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

Seems to me that it's based around conspiracy theories: The 9/11 cover-up bla bla bla, the international Zionist conspiracy (hence the Israeli flag) and various other crap. I wouldn't read too much into it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

freedom of speech! dont like it dont go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I usually just shrug off overly PC stuff these days because, lets face it, its out of hand in many ways but in fairness to you OP this is some dodgy placement alright. In saying that i wouldnt jump to conclusions, the all seeing eye in the middle of the twin towers would actually make me think the talk might be trying to lampoon popular conspiracy theories, based entirely on the poster of course, im not exactly au fait with the lecture speakers the islamic society has lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ah sure its college. The boundaries have to be pushed a little, theres plenty of iffy lectures run by societies. Its the people that join political parties in college and parade around in hoodies with the logo that worry me ;) in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ah sure its college. The boundaries have to be pushed a little, theres plenty of iffy lectures run by societies. Its the people that join political parties in college and parade around in hoodies with the logo that worry me ;) in

I personally think they have been pushed a bit too far in this case.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I personally think they have been pushed a bit too far in this case.

It depends on your perspective. Left leaning groups organise Anti-Israeli stuff all the time. It is not illegal to hypothesise not matter how rubbish it is, unless you were discussing some sort of treason or terrorist related activities. There are debates all the time about illegal stuff in UCD all the time and people don't object.

" I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This poster offended me.

If that poster was one of the shiny one's on the concourse put up by L&H or Lawsoc they would have got in major major **** for it all.

errlloyd wrote: »
    If that poster was one of the shiny one's on the concourse put up by L&H or Lawsoc they would have got in major major **** for it all.

No doubt about it and I'd say we would even get reports in the Observer if it was done by the L&H or Law. That what I was thinking aswell, if this had of been the Law or L&H, what actually would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's doing what it was designed to do.... get you talking about it, next you'll be at the event, then you'll be reading a koran, and then you'll be fl.....

I'll end that there...... >_>

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Fad wrote: »
    It's doing what it was designed to do.... get you talking about it, next you'll be at the event, then you'll be reading a koran, and then you'll be fl.....

you should not be a moderator!! a person with your mentality judging posts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

maxxie wrote: »
    you should not be a moderator!! a person with your mentality judging posts..
    ..is perfectly fine, provided he keeps a clean house in his own forum. OUtside of the forums they mod, mods are regular users. Back on topic, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's a talk on a conspiracy theory, how anyone buys into that New World Order, 9/11 nonsense is beyond me. I hope people don't take that talk seriously and just treat it as the enjoyable story it is.
    It's not a racist poster per se, as the conspiracy theory would link Israel into it, but if people have a problem with Israel due to a general distrust of the Jews then the story would be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fad wrote: »

Was a warning actually handed out about this post? Probably shows how mad Ireland is becoming: the same person who would report this would probably find the above poster heralding the New World Order perfectly fine.

Why any religious society should be on a publicly funded (hopefully) secular campus (apart from the ugly little archaic church - sorry, but it is :D) is kindof beyond me.

At least they aren't declaring the truths of Ron Hubbard I s'pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Implosiony

It depends on your perspective. Left leaning groups organise Anti-Israeli stuff all the time. It is not illegal to hypothesise not matter how rubbish it is, unless you were discussing some sort of treason or terrorist related activities. There are debates all the time about illegal stuff in UCD all the time and people don't object.

" I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Perfectly put. We all know this entire thing sounds ridiculous, but if you don't like it then don't go. Really is simple as that.

Of course, if you still feel strongly, you could always actually go and debate. Rather than censoring them, rip their "logic" apart. Waaaaay more satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

This debate and posters seems to reference The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an antisemitic text purporting to describe a plan to achieve global domination by the Jewish people.

The work is completely ludicrous, it was taken from satire and taken as fact. It was reprinted in Russia and Germany to justify anti-Jewish sentiment. Unfortunately, many Islamic nations do not seem to be aware of this:
    While there is continued popularity of The Protocols in nations from South America to Asia, since the defeat of Nazi Germany and fascist Italy in WWII, governments or political leaders in most parts of the world have generally avoided claims that The Protocols represent factual evidence of a real Jewish conspiracy. The exception to this is the Middle East, where a large number of Arab and Muslim regimes and leaders have endorsed them as authentic. Past endorsements of The Protocols from Presidents Gamal Abdel Nasser and Anwar Sadat of Egypt, one of the President Arifs of Iraq, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, and Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi of Libya, among other political and intellectual leaders of the Arab world, are echoed by 21st century endorsements from the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Sheikh Ekrima Sa'id Sabri, and Hamas, to the education ministry of Saudi Arabia

So yes, it is anti-semitic and not anti-Israel.

More importantly, it's disgusting, nut-job stuff. You'll find that the people who believe in the New World Order also like to claim that 9/11 was an inside job and that the moon-landing is fake.

This utter tosh has no place on a university campus.

Did someone say New World Order?

jimcorrelection.jpg

The poster also shows the World Trade Center, in reference to the belief that 9/11 was done by a group of elite to bring about the New World Order.

Either way, having the Israeli flag there is in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's the Hunky Dory's campaign all over again...;)

I wear my tin-foil hat to protect myself against the Jews who are obviously trying to take over the world.

• Advertisement

This debate and posters seems to reference The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an antisemitic text purporting to describe a plan to achieve global domination by the Jewish people.

The work is completely ludicrous, it was taken from satire and taken as fact. It was reprinted in Russia and Germany to justify anti-Jewish sentiment. Unfortunately, many Islamic nations do not seem to be aware of this:

So yes, it is anti-semitic and not anti-Israel.

More importantly, it's disgusting, nut-job stuff. You'll find that the people who believe in the New World Order also like to claim that 9/11 was an inside job and that the moon-landing is fake.

This utter tosh has no place on a university campus.
    True.

Butler saw it on concourse yesterday just after postering and had them all ripped. I don't think this is the last we will hear of this.

That poster was offensive, properly offensive. I think Lawsoc and L&H push the boundaries, but never that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Personally I think that the Secular Humanist Society should take a stand against this and recruit its members to launch a terror campaign across UCD against Islamists, Christians and Semites. They should start by bombing the Muslim Worship Room in the Science Hub and then the church beside the Ag Science building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Butler saw it on concourse yesterday just after postering and had them all ripped. I don't think this is the last we will hear of this.

That poster was offensive, properly offensive. I think Lawsoc and L&H push the boundaries, but never that far.

Easily offended are we?;)

Seriously, apart from the posters being ridiculous, there's still nothing offensive. It's interpretation of the posters, they're just alluding to major conspiracies or Jim Corr's regular shite talk.

It's free speech and as DB has espoused; "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Some right sad tossers around campus if this type of stuff offends them.

Cheers for that

Maybe...

But it'd have looked damn poor had Bill Clinton seen it on his visit.

Well in my view it was outright racism. Erroneously accusing the Jews of being behind 9/11 and trying to rule the world is pretty offensive.

Well in my view it was outright racism. Erroneously accusing the Jews of being behind 9/11 and trying to rule the world is pretty offensive.

Were the Islamic society promoting the conspiracy theory as believable do we know?

• Advertisement

The term ripped when it comes to postering means what exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement