Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cuttings over winter?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on what to do with my rose cuttings over winter?
    I've got two which have rooted in the one pot and not quite sure if I should bring them in for winter, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! :)

And to really chance my arm while I'm posting I'll ask about my osteospermums. I took about 6 cuttings and 2 of them have turned into lovely little plants and the flowers have just started to bloom. Anyone have any experience if these can last an Irish winter and flower again next year?

Hope you'll excuse me as this year has been my first year to make a real go at the garden and I have so much to learn! Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on what to do with my rose cuttings over winter?
    I've got two which have rooted in the one pot and not quite sure if I should bring them in for winter, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! :)

And to really chance my arm while I'm posting I'll ask about my osteospermums. I took about 6 cuttings and 2 of them have turned into lovely little plants and the flowers have just started to bloom. Anyone have any experience if these can last an Irish winter and flower again next year?

Hope you'll excuse me as this year has been my first year to make a real go at the garden and I have so much to learn! Thanks so much in advance!

You would be better off bringing roses in under shelter for the Winter if for no other reason to prevent them getting over Wet (I assume in a Pots)... But remove all Leaves (That Drop) (Which reduces risk of Diesease.. And allow the plant to become Dormant....
    The Osteospermum would survive in the right shelter ... but will tend to get leggy and might need a Hard Prune in Spring to Encourage New Growth near base of plant and will flower again (But i have found my upright form (No idea which one it is doesn't flower as Well as the first year)... (Might be due to lack of Root growth) (they were potted and not repotted the following year)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Thanks a mill Jezko, will do, although leaves shouldn't be a problem on the roses as they have barely 3 or 4 each :)

Advertisement