Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil usage

Options
  • 20-10-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey everyone, new poster here. My family lives west of Galway. I'm wondering from everyone how much oil we should expect to be using during a typical winter season? I know last year was particularly cold, but we're trying our best to budget our money. We live in a 4 bedroom home with OFCH and radiators. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

hi

this is an impossible question to answer as there are loads of factors that come into consideration

1. size of house
    2. amount of rads on system
    3 how hot you like it
    4. type of oil you use
    5.how good is the insulation is

to take a very average ( and i mean very average ) 500l might just get you through christmas with average use in an average house

our house at home a 4 bed bungalow built in the 80's goes thru 2200 lts a year on average

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

It also completely depends on how much time you will spend in the house - for example someone who works full time would need the heat on for less time than someone who is a stay-at-home mum with the kids.

It's not really possible to give you an answer. We have a similar style house and use about three full tanks (1000 ltrs) per year. The heat would be on mainly for a few hours in the evenings and for an hour or 2 during the night (to keep our baby warm - and asleep!!).
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start by getting 1000L and keep an eye on the oil level in the tank. It'll give you an estimate of how fast you go through a tank.

Thread here with current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Best thing you can do to reduce your bills is to get your burner serviced regularly.

We had to replace ours last year and I'd say our oil bills have been cut in half. Normally we'd use about 1 1/2 tanks a year, but after getting a fill in February we've still got half a tank left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

Is the cheapest supplier in the area, if you buy 1,000L +. Recommended by a friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Another factor is if you are in a detached house or a semi/terrace, and if the latter, if the next door houses are occupied. We noticed we needed more fuel when our neighbours moved out and less again when new neighbours moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It also depends on how much of it is stolen on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

ScumLord wrote: »
    It also depends on how much of it is stolen on you.

So true. I only put in small amounts now rather than filling as it's constantly stolen :mad: Going to enquire about putting the tank into the shed. Worth the cost in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I have an average size tank which takes 1,000 Litres but I usually just go for 500 Litres and I know it is a little more expensive but a neighbour of mine suffered theft so I reckon if they get away with 500 Litres...better than 1,000 Litres.

I managed well last year during the cold spell, probably the 1,000 was used. I don't bother much with open fires...maybe at weekends but the punters out there say we won't have as cold a winter this year.

I dipped my tank the other day...the last 500 Litres I would have got last March. As I said it is an average cylinder type tank. The dipstick measured 12" so not wanting to measure width, length etc. has anybody any idea how many litres I might have left? roughly? It is a good distance from the marking that says "time to order a refill". I have an oil stove (stand alone) which usually cuts out long before the central heating would, as it needs a higher level of oil. I want to order but hopefully, I will have enough til end of the month! Sorry, a bit of a mixed up post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 klipdrift

Just had circa 600L of oil stolen from my tank. I hope the B.....D that stole it dies of carbon monoxide poisioning.
    Anyway, the kids wanted a dog for xmas, i was dead against it...but guess what, there gettong one, A ROTWILLER

images%3Fq%3Drottweiler&zoom=1&q=rottweiler&hl=en&usg=__vlYycJpynoa8z-nEcsXZhIihGEw=&sa=X&ei=tP70TIGMEInMhAfPu_iSBg&ved=0CCUQ9QEwAA

HE WILL BE FED ONCE A WEEK ONLY.

So come on back for some heating oil gents. smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement