Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Mix Breed Dog

Options
  • 20-10-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Next door neighbour found a stray dog the other and kept it until the owners were found. Turns out it was another neighbour to the back of us that owned it. They had it two weeks. (don’t know where they got it from). Personally I don’t think they bonded with or couldn’t handle it because as soon as the dog got home it got out and ran back to my neighbour. The neighbour (at the back of us) then got upset about it and basically handed the dog to my next door neighbour and said here you keep it. My neighbour took it. The original owner mentioned that it was a pointer mix but she thinks it was with a dobie. Here is my question. Should it be muzzled? It’s not an aggressive dog and is only about 18 inches tall at a year and a half old. Plus its a mix, don’t truly know what it is without dna test. What do ye reckon? Tried to upload photo there but getting errors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

It was just slightly over the 2mb limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I cannot see any dobi there myself but defo pointer x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def looks very like a dobe alright, prob a dobe cross. Dobermanns come in chocolate colour too which id say its crossed with.

By law they should be muzzled but if its a cross you could always argue that its not a full dobe.

Its very skinny, so needs to be fed properly to put on some weight.

This is the thing, two posts with two different opinions. Have to say I didn’t really see the dobie in it myself until I was told. Kind of worried as well as this neighbour wouldn’t be used to medium or large dogs and there other dog is a yorkie and a bit of a terror. IMO both pointers and dobies would be for more experienced dog owners. Maybe I should talk her out of keeping it but then whats the alternitive for the dog, the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The first breed I thought of when I looked at the photo was a Doberman as I used to have a chocolate one as a child.

http://www.faithanimalrescue.co.uk/images/Taz_000.jpg

I wouldn't muzzle him if he's friendly, most people wouldn't have a clue what kind of a dog he was. He looks lovely by the way :)

• Advertisement

Please do not send this dog to the pound!!:eek:

It will more than likely end up dead in 5 days as there are thousands of dogs in the pounds at the mo which are waiting for homes.
    The pound is a death sentence really. If they arent homed within 5 days then they will get pts:(

lrushe wrote: »
    The first breed I thought of when I looked at the photo was a Doberman as I used to have a chocolate one as a child.

http://www.faithanimalrescue.co.uk/images/Taz_000.jpg

I wouldn't muzzle him if he's friendly, most people wouldn't have a clue what kind of a dog he was. He looks lovely by the way :)

Love dobies myself but never had one, another neighbour has one and he's a dote. Yea shes a lovely looking dog. Would have took he myself but have 2 already, the missus would kill me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Devi wrote: »
    IMO both pointers and dobies would be for more experienced dog owners. Maybe I should talk her out of keeping it but then whats the alternitive for the dog, the pound.

Maybe chat to a rescue, see what their thoughts are, there's a Dobie rescue, maybe ask them for some advice.

http://www.glenfitor.net/Rescue.html

andreac wrote: »

It will more than likely end up dead in 5 days as there are thousands of dogs in the pounds at the mo which are waiting for homes.
    The pound is a death sentence really. If they arent homed within 5 days then they will get pts:(

No I wasnt suggesting that I was just saying that the neighbour really doesnt have a choice. The next door neighbour wants to keep it at the moment so best just leave it be. The pound wouldnt actuly take it originly when she found it anyway. Said they were full up, sad really, a lot of dogs must be getting PTS. Imagine whats its going to be like after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Personally I think he's more Pointer than Dobie. Either way I wouldn't bother muzzling him if he's friendly as they'd have a very hard time proving he was a dobie (that's if there even is any in him). But definitely bulk him up, he's very thin!

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    Maybe chat to a rescue, see what their thoughts are, there's a Dobie rescue, maybe ask them for some advice.

http://www.glenfitor.net/Rescue.html

Thanks Irushe, Ill send her the link. Have a feeling shes going to keep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Will be a stunning dog with a bit of feeding up, looking at the picture again he does look like theres a bit of Dobbie in there all right, the first thing that occured to me was this though -

http://www.hungarianvizslaclub.org.uk/

Could be way off of course!

adser53 wrote: »
    Personally I think he's more Pointer than Dobie. Either way I wouldn't bother muzzling him if he's friendly as they'd have a very hard time proving he was a dobie (that's if there even is any in him). But definitely bulk him up, he's very thin!

That’s basically what I’ve been thinking, just needed to get a few opinions on it. I know she looks very skinny in that pic but looks more normal in real life. Not saying she could do gaining a pound or two but I think its just the angle of the pic.

Will be a stunning dog with a bit of feeding up, looking at the picture again he does look like theres a bit of Dobbie in there all right, the first thing that occured to me was this though -

http://www.hungarianvizslaclub.org.uk/

Could be way off of course!

Yea no I see what ye mean. When ye see her running around (and see can run) her back would be more straight than there’s though, possibly some vizla in her though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I don't really see any dobie at all....I am presuming its because of her colour more so than anything that people see dobie....???

I see more just a heinz57 lab mix pointer hound type.

Either way lovely dog and dobies make wonderful pets its just media and movies that give them bad press as they are always the guard dog etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a lovely dog, can't see the dobie in him myself. Don't bother with a muzzle. If your neighbour is approached by the warden, they should just tell him the truth - that they don't know what kind of cross he is. You're only breaking the law if you know for certain that he's a dobie cross and he's unmuzzled.

As everyone's said, looks like a beautiful dog, he'll look incredible with some feeding, that coat will shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

???? 5 days? sure the pound will wait 5 days for the owner then it can be released for re -homing .i have seen dogs waiting 10-12 days to be homed and thats excluding the 5 days for the owner to turn up.i know the punds are horrible places dont get me wrong but to say that the dog has 5 days and then be pts??

pokertalk wrote: »
    ???? 5 days? sure the pound will wait 5 days for the owner then it can be released for re -homing .i have seen dogs waiting 10-12 days to be homed and thats excluding the 5 days for the owner to turn up.i know the punds are horrible places dont get me wrong but to say that the dog has 5 days and then be pts??
    That's correct. Generally if a dog turns up with a collar or otherwise appears to be looked after, the pound will wait five days before putting it down.

If a dog arrives in as a stray or a surrender, it has 24 hours. Sick dogs are usually put down straight away.

I'm not sure in what instances they would wait 10-12 days - maybe if someone said they would take the dog and didn't take it right away?

seamus wrote: »
    That's correct. Generally if a dog turns up with a collar or otherwise appears to be looked after, the pound will wait five days before putting it down.

If a dog arrives in as a stray or a surrender, it has 24 hours. Sick dogs are usually put down straight away.

I'm not sure in what instances they would wait 10-12 days - maybe if someone said they would take the dog and didn't take it right away?
    there is a little terrier cross that has bein there nearly 2 weeks now i have being walking i think he could be there so long because the pound seems to be really empty the past while whick is good news :Dthe little guy i rescued 3 months ago was there 10 days/
    they will wait 5 days for the owner to turn up seamus and longer for the rehome

No, its not. If the dog is not claimed within 5 days then its pts, it either has to be rehomed or claimed within that time.
    Some rescues operate a fostering service from the pound, dogsindistress being one of them from Ashtown Pound. But not all dogs are lucky to get out in foster but 5 days would be the standard time frame they have there.

• Advertisement

there is a little terrier cross that has bein there nearly 2 weeks now i have being walking i think he could be there so long because the pound seems to be really empty the past while whick is good news :Dthe little guy i rescued 3 months ago was there 10 days/
    Looking at the Meath Pound's details, it seems to be a fairly random thing, depending on the pound. 5 days is the minimum for an unclaimed dog, so I guess if the pound has room and the warden isn't a jobsworth, they might be more inclined to hold onto a dog for longer.

I know a number of pounds also work with local rescues and alert them to any unclaimed and unhomed dogs which are due to be pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

When I volunteered in the pound in Saggart, Co. Dublin many moons ago (man i feel old now that i think it was 9 years ago for a few weeks in transition year of secondary school) dogs got 5 days like seamus said. They were pts immediatly if they were sick or vicious (a few RBs got pts automatically too as they were instantly classed as unrehomable- couldnt figure out how they made that call) but in some cases where the dog was either a) well looked after and obviously just lost or b) the dog was a complete dote and had a higher chance of being rehomed, they got a stay of execution (literally) for an extra few days or so. That was the first time I saw the raw deal restricted breeds get and why I feel so strongly about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

No, its not. If the dog is not claimed within 5 days then its pts, it either has to be rehomed or claimed within that time.
    Some rescues operate a fostering service from the pound, dogsindistress being one of them from Ashtown Pound. But not all dogs are lucky to get out in foster but 5 days would be the standard time frame they have there.

Just to note - Dogs In Distress no longer work with Ashton Pound.

Stray dogs have a 5 day liberty period in pounds, for their owners to find them mainly and for others to apply for them. If, after 5 days, a home has not been found for it (only after 5 days can it be released to a new owner) they dog no longer is immune from being put to sleep. Any dog in a pound over the 5 day mark is in danger and could potentially be put to sleep - but it doesn't mean it automatically happens. If the pound is full, dogs that get put to sleep are at the discretion of the pound manager. Often, restricted breeds will be closer to the top of the list than other dogs.

Surrendered dogs only have 24 hours before their liberty period ends, after this they can potentially be put to sleep.

Exceptions to this rule are usually very ill or aggressive dogs - ie. dogs that are not suitable to be homed or being put to sleep is more humane than leaving it to suffer.

Some dogs can spend months in a pound, but for the entire time they are in danger of being put to sleep. Most pounds only put dogs to sleep when there is literally no room for the dogs that are coming in. It is so important to get dogs out of pounds asap because it leaves room for others and saves lives.

EDIT: forgot to add - OP, looks like a Pointer mix to me but has the colouring of a Dobie... thinking a Heinz 57 is the best description!

andreac if u go to ashtown pound and try to rescue a dog that lets say came in 2 days ago that is in good condition and wearing a collor you will not be able to take that dog home until the 5 days are up on the reclaim im down there nearly every day and i have adopted from there and have found dogs for friends

Just to note - Dogs In Distress no longer work with Ashton Pound.

Stray dogs have a 5 day liberty period in pounds, for their owners to find them mainly and for others to apply for them. If, after 5 days, a home has not been found for it (only after 5 days can it be released to a new owner) they dog no longer is immune from being put to sleep. Any dog in a pound over the 5 day mark is in danger and could potentially be put to sleep - but it doesn't mean it automatically happens. If the pound is full, dogs that get put to sleep are at the discretion of the pound manager. Often, restricted breeds will be closer to the top of the list than other dogs.

Surrendered dogs only have 24 hours before their liberty period ends, after this they can potentially be put to sleep.

Exceptions to this rule are usually very ill or aggressive dogs - ie. dogs that are not suitable to be homed or being put to sleep is more humane than leaving it to suffer.

Some dogs can spend months in a pound, but for the entire time they are in danger of being put to sleep. Most pounds only put dogs to sleep when there is literally no room for the dogs that are coming in. It is so important to get dogs out of pounds asap because it leaves room for others and saves lives.
    yes thats all im saying to ya. in your original post u said they have 5 days and they are pts. sorry my last post was late

andreac if u go to ashtown pound and try to rescue a dog that lets say came in 2 days ago that is in good condition and wearing a collor you will not be able to take that dog home until the 5 days are up on the reclaim im down there nearly every day and i have adopted from there and have found dogs for friends

Thats what i said, if it hasnt been claimed by its owner within 5 days it can get pts after the 5 days are up.

i was just commenting on the last bit of your post

i think we can both agree that its a kip:(
    has bein quiet the last while do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A neighbour of mine had a german pointer that looked a bit like that, wish I had a pic, best I could do was google, looked a lot like the one in this pic.

Think you cab see the resemblance to the dog you posted pic of op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

yes thats all im saying to ya. in your original post u said they have 5 days and they are pts. sorry my last post was late

Don't mean to be picky - but when did I say that? May be some crossed wires?! I don't have any other posts on this thread :)

OP - From the looks of it I think mymo has gotten it! Sometimes pups can turn into totally different looking adults - they can be the image of a (for example) Staffie pup and turn into a giant Lab mix. All the luck of the draw!

Advertisement