Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elbow - O2 Dublin - 31st March 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Can't wait for tonight ... Leaving my hubby at home ... Could be grounds for divorce?... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

ah i'm sure he'll send you on your way with love!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

So so gig , way too slow , would be great in a smaller venue .

No way, thought it was great!

Guy Garvey owned the o2 tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

good gig, gutted I missed Villagers,bah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

Great performerance from Guy and Co. really superb again but Jeebus H Christ on a bleedin' bike whats with the talkers. 50 euro for a ticket and then with the talking. Had to push on through to the front to drown them out. I just don't understand these people, one example being a bunch that shouted at each other right through the slower songs on the smaller stage and then in between songs were clapping, whistelling and shouting enthusiatically in appreciation for a song they just talked over. WFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

martingore wrote: »
    So so gig , way too slow , would be great in a smaller venue .

Second this. I thought the exact same thing. Took them forever to get going, bad choice of setlist for a venue as big as the O2. It wasn't until they played grounds for divorce that I thought they finally got going.

Also, the runway from the stage was a bit gimmicky, I half thought Bono was going to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Best gig I've been to this year, no question. Contender for gig of the decade IMO. Felt very intimate even in a huge place like the O2. Guy Garvey is some front man. Involved everyone in the room including those in Block L Row 51, who according to Mr G were officially the furthest people away from the stage. Great banter with the girl with the hat too. High fiving the front row as well. Second time seeing them, the other time being the Ambassador and definitely better last night. Fair play to them sticking together for 20 years before they got any decent success. Perseverance and talent always wins in the end.

Whatever they are paying their soundman it isn't enough btw. Best sound quality I've ever experienced in the Point/O2

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rob_the_cat

surfjunky wrote: »
    Great performerance from Guy and Co. really superb again but Jeebus H Christ on a bleedin' bike whats with the talkers. 50 euro for a ticket and then with the talking. Had to push on through to the front to drown them out. I just don't understand these people, one example being a bunch that shouted at each other right through the slower songs on the smaller stage and then in between songs were clapping, whistelling and shouting enthusiatically in appreciation for a song they just talked over. WFT?

Don't get that myself either! Fantastic gig, loved the runway bit personally, great to see a band having a connect with the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

not to be pedantic, but they had success 10 years ago, it's only in the last few years they have had mainstream/chart success....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Thought it was a cracking gig to be honest and the crowd around me were certainly with them from Lippy Kids onwards. Garvey was in great form. The B stage was gimmicky but their live show is built around connecting with the audience and the small stage is perfect for that in such a big venue. Haven't seen such good will towards a band since I saw James play their return show at the olympia a few years ago.

Villagers sounded good live, fantastic night all round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

@seachto7 point taken, although they have been together for 20 years this year

@SteM I was at that James gig. It left me cold. I'd be an interested onlooker rather than a fan but they played almost nothing I recognised that night. If you want to see a great James gig get the Throwing It All Away DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Surprised at the mixed reaction here, I thought it was great! Grounds for Divorce was my highlight despite not being one of my favourite songs from them. Guy Garvey's voice live is brilliant, not many artists can sing that well live. I thought they put on a great show.

I missed the Villagers too, we were late getting in :( Were they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

I thought it was a great gig, and anyone who missed the Villagers they were brilliant (saw them in Waterford in Dec last year and they transfered well to the bigger stage) also at the ambassador gig and I felt last night was better.
    Took my son with me, his first proper gig he got the hat!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Absolutely cracking gig last night, was there early for villagers, who we were really looking forward to seeing and they played a great, if uninspiring, support set. Becoming a jackel got the best cheer, obviously, but i really liked the 'big band' take on a few of the other regulars. Lead guitarist has taken inspiration from some early floyd / radiohead IMHO

Elbow blew me away. I wasnt expecting much to be honest, im a take em or leave em fan... only own the last two Cds but have their dicog on ipod. I was worried how their storytelling songs would translate at a gig but i was very pleasently impressed. I bopped all night, no drink taken ;) Their set was very etheral and atmospheric rather than a rock-out, which they never did anyway. So i dont know why some people might have been expecting a 'fast' gig??
    the night was made by the crowd though, such warmth and goodwill towards the band... the 'hat' incident was brilliant and unique (fair dues mona!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

marwelie wrote: »
    @SteM I was at that James gig. It left me cold.

Have you no SOUL! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Savage gig last night ... enjoyed every minute of it ... what a front man Mr. Garvey is ...! Loved the backdrop too - and Mona with her hat was a class act! Come back Elbow - we love you!!!:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

What a night !

I was next to the catwalk and joined 3 ladies from Manchester [ hardcore fans .... knew every single word ] who have seen 3 of the previous gigs of this tour.
    They told me that I wouldn't be disapointed and I wasn't , loved every bit of it !
    As usual , the crowd was ace , with the usual lot of crack heads who need to learn to shut the F up for the slower songs ...

Fair play to Adam and Marty who had flown over from the US yesterday morning just to see the gig and are flying back sometime this afternoon....

Mr Garvey, I salute you ;) and high 5 mate !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Excellent gig,never heard the Villagers before.I thought they were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wo

Sixth time seeing them last night and although it was a good gig it was the least memorable of the 6. Enjoyed it, but just felt that the venue was too big for them and Guy wasn't as up for it as other times. There was some of the magic missing. Delighted to hear that fans travelled from afar to see them in Dublin. They deserve fans like that. Might try catch them in Belfast in August.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Fantastic gig last night. Fifth time seeing them and they just keep getting better in my opinion. Thought it was amazing the way they transformed an arena like the O2 into what felt like an intimate club. Was on the barrier at the mini stage at the front and got a high five off Guy. Made my night :) .

Highlights for me were pretty much the whole thing but if I had to pick a few it would have to be "The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver", "Great Expectations", "Weather to Fly" and "The Night Will Always Win".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

The seventh high five from Guy felt as good as the first. What a legend.

Villagers were also great. Very different live. I'd love to hear The Bell again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

leincar wrote: »
    Just a little something to whet the appitite.

I was there that night. Awesome, excellent at the o2 but to see them at their hometown gig was an almost reverential thing

I'm expecting a tour of smaller venue with a songs from all the albums near christmas. Just odd not to hear scattered black and whites and a few others that theyve always played. It was even stranger as they said they were building their set list on what folk on twitter and facebook asked for in early Feb. Most people wanted CoT and AITB stuff

I thought it was a great gig, and anyone who missed the Villagers they were brilliant (saw them in Waterford in Dec last year and they transfered well to the bigger stage) also at the ambassador gig and I felt last night was better.
    Took my son with me, his first proper gig he got the hat!!

Lucky f**ker...........:P

Joking!!

Fair play!!

Hope he passes it on when Garvey and co come back!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just so people know, Elbow are playing in Belfast too on august 24th. ill probably head up myself. im hoping it means a Picnic performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

They are playing at Slane suporting the Kings of Leon!

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/support-acts-confirmed-for-kings-of-leons-2011-slane-gig-115172-May2011/

Was at the O2 gig and loved it, I'd go to Slane to see them alone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gingafriend

They were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! I still have them in my head :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wo

Elbow in Slane will be amazing. They are on Jools Holland tonight....

Advertisement