Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for less than a year

Options
  • 20-10-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Our contents insurance is up for renewal but we won't be in Ireland for a full year. I told this to the insurance company and they said they only sell it for a year but we can cancel it and get some of the money back?

How easy is this?

(For our car insurance too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you will get money back easy enough but it won't be exactly the percentage left of the year that will be returned. If you had 6 months left you would likely get around around 30% of the premium back. Best option would be to pay it in monthly installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Fitz123

Money will be refunded easily, they may require your cert and disc for motor policy.

On the refund amount it depends Xiney, as each company has slightly different t & c's.

I know one insurance company who I used to work for, where a cancellation takes place in the first year of the policy as Atlantic Dawn states you don't get a proportional refund back there is an amount deducted. After the first year with them, refunds are processed proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

argh, sorry dudara - thought I'd put it in the right forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

You can always pay on a monthly basis. Some companies do it over 12 months with one month paid up front, others have a 10 month arrangement. Just be aware paying on a monthly basis is a finance arrangement and you will pay interest for the facility, interest rates can vary but you will be looking 9% onwards. Check the quotes, if spreading the payment over 10/12 months and compare it against the annual premium. Cancellation during the year is not a problem, but do it in writing prior to the date you wish to cancel, so there is no confusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement