Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are all bikes RHD?

• 20-10-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭

As in do all have the chain on the right, or do the majority? Is it country dependant like cars?

If so is there any particular they're all right handed?
    :)

Comments

Vast majority have the chain on the right. It's the same in all countries. Not sure why the right hand side was decided upon as the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most people (other than the left handed freaks) would carry a bike on their right hand side. Having the drivetrain on the opposite side means less chance of getting crud over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

To have the drivetrain on the left would be sinister, very very sinister :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

so it prob originated from cyclo cross...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it was an effort to help beat the Citeog out of the children :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I did wonder about this.

Also most motorbikes seem to have the drivetrain on the left. I've been wondering why for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,501 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I did wonder about this.

Also most motorbikes seem to have the drivetrain on the left. I've been wondering why for a while.
    To stop people lifting them, well, except for the citeogs. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Victor wrote: »
    To stop people lifting them, well, except for the citeogs. :pac:

I'm mixed-handed (not ambixetrous) would I just get confused in cyclocross?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's some kind who use the skate park near where I work who have lhd trick bikes. Most tandems would be lhd from the front to rear rider.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm mixed-handed (not ambixetrous) would I just get confused in cyclocross?

And I quote: "strap the citeog behind his back or if that didn't work, hack off the devil's paw" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Lumen wrote: »
    other than the left handed freaks

Oi, who are you calling a freak?

Vélo wrote: »
    Oi, who are you calling a freak?

"...left-handers are more likely to develop neurological disorders like schizophrenia, dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism and other emotional problems."

More Left Handed Madness - Why I Hear Voices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i think the real reason is because of threaded freewheels. if the chains on the right it tightens it if its on the left it would have loosen it as you turned the pedal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Lumen wrote: »
    "...left-handers are more likely to develop neurological disorders like schizophrenia, dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism and other emotional problems."

More Left Handed Madness - Why I Hear Voices

I also heard were more prone to murder and suicide, so just be careful:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't mess with the lefties, 'cos the lefties don't mess (unless they are writing with a fountain pen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

50% of my offspring are lefties. I still haven't gotten used to sleeping with a gun under my pillow. On the up side, I can enter two teams into the Junior World Rest-free Doubles Pool Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

50% of my offspring are lefties. I still haven't gotten used to sleeping with a gun under my pillow. On the up side, I can enter two teams into the Junior World Rest-free Doubles Pool Championships.

Im right handed and I usually dismount on the right and carry on the left shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The brakes are usually the opposite* on the continent too as far as I recall.
    Anyone confirm?

* meaning right hand brakes rear wheel and left hand breaks front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

enda1 wrote: »
    Anyone confirm?

That's very common in the US and Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone confirm?

Primarily to do with the side of the road that cars drive on afaik. It's quite difficult to indicate with one hand and brake with the front brake on the other - it pitches you forward more sharply and puts you off balance. Since indication is more critical when you're crossing traffic (indicating right in Ireland), then you put the front brake on that side and use the rear brake to slow down.

I have it set up euro-style on the road bike because it allows me to change gear on the back while braking, but I have it set up IE/UK style on the MTB.

• Advertisement

I now have an idea of braking strategies and select the front or back brake or mixes thereof for the jobs they are better at but before all that I used mainly use the front brake because I am right handed. I wonder do back brakes get more wear on the continent and in the US than they do here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

All of my bikes have front brake a§ the left lever. IMHO it makes no sense to have it any other way in a country that drives on the left.
    As our primary brake is the front brake it is incompatible with safe signalling at right turns to have front brake lever on the right.
    I don't buy the BS about people being right handed etc. I am right handed and rarely use my right hand to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ROK ON wrote: »
    All of my bikes have front brake a§ the left lever. IMHO it makes no sense to have it any other way in a country that drives on the left.
    As our primary brake is the front brake it is incompatible with safe signalling at right turns to have front brake lever on the right.
    I don't buy the BS about people being right handed etc. I am right handed and rarely use my right hand to break.
    Sheldon Brown used to change his bikes to have the UK/Ireland set-up, as he liked having his strongest hand braking when turning left (given that he was in the USA).

ROK ON wrote: »

Me too. Not sure my brain knows the difference, in a critical braking situation I just slam them both on, usually locking up the rear and sliding around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Anyone confirm?

yep, I remember back in 98 I think we were mountain biking in France at a scout jamboree. One of the lad found out the wrong way that the brakes were reversed. Cue hilarious looking flip over the handlebars followed by a rather painful landing, bike landing on top of him and a short slide down the hill. Not a pleasent day for him :o

Braking is a simple action and can be equally well performed by right or left hand. Having said that, the great unwashed will use their right hand out of sheer habit. This should not the basis of which brake to select but it's a consideration when deciding which cable to connect to which lever when you are mass producing bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

All of my bikes have the back brake lever on the right. I switched to that when I was a teenager, probably 'cos I thought it was cool to mimic the continental pros but in actual fact it makes things a lot more logical for me as all of the back controls are on the right and all of the "front" controls are on the left. I've never found any issue with lack of strength in my left hand to control the front brake, and I've not put myself over the bars when making a right turn while slowing and indicating either.

Using brakes is not exactly natural/innate anyway, so whichever side you choose as your back brake requires some initial learning when you start to cycle for the first time - so either side works just as well as the other, it's just a matter of what you've made yourself familiar with. Just like with driving, where I'd find it hard to deal with the pedals in a different order only because I've grown used to them in their current order. Mind you, the first time I ever felt the need to apply the car brakes in a hurry my hands reached for non-existent brake levers on the steering wheel (thankfully my right foot did go for the brake pedal at the same time) so maybe the brake in my car shouldn't actually be a pedal at all.

Anyway, here is an interesting bike which has no bias to either the right or left side, that I can see. Or arguably it is biased towards both sides. So it gives you either the best or worst of both worlds depending on your point of view. Here's one picture of it, though only the videos really convey how it works:

1-introducings.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

i think the real reason is because of threaded freewheels. if the chains on the right it tightens it if its on the left it would have loosen it as you turned the pedal

The thread could easily be done the other way. The parts would generally only be engineered depending on the design requirements, so it could be done either way.
    Anyone confirm?

Very strangely, my brother and I both have trek 1.2s, mine 2007 and his 2008, and our brakes are aligned differently. Both bought here (well, his in the UK and mine second hand down here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

its weird the way cycling is more popular on the continent

yet u cant show off a fancy chain set over there as much cos people drive on the right side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

threading for pedals on the crank arm would also be a problem.
    there is no real reason why anyone would need a left hand side drivetrain.

which side you put your brake levers on is a personal choice and usually made because you heard someone say they do it a certain way or theres 1 right way to do it. theres no wrong way, I changed to having right lever for front brake and I prefer it that way but, actually its not much of a difference really.

Advertisement