Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bru na Gruadan, Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

nathan184 wrote: »
    I guess the main thing we're looking for is somewhere quiet.

I'd nearly be inclined to advise you to look elsewhere if thats the case. I lived in nearby Curragh Birin for a spell. Could get rather noisey at times with nearby house parties and loud music. They would seem to overspill onto the streets at times, bottles being kicked around the streets, that sort of thing. Would imagine Bru na Gruadan is just as bad if not worse in this regard. Its very much a UL student orientated area.

It might be a bit hit and miss in that you may end up with more mature neighbours right next to you but why take the chance when you may well end up next to a bunch of away from home for the first time sort first year students on either side of you

Cant say I ever saw much in the line of trouble there but thats not to say there are not certain elements there as wouldn't be completely certain if there are or not. Suppose your always going to get the bit of ad hoc noise and trouble from students who cant handle their drink and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks for the info. My girlfriend is doing a Postgrad in UL at the moment so we kind of have to find somewhere on that side of the city.

We might start having a look at the Annacotty area. There's an apartment out at Salmon Weir that looks alright. A little bit costly but if it's a nice area I'm willing to pay that bit extra.

Are there any other areas you could recommend within 10-15 minutes drive of UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

Bru na Gruadan could definitely get a bit noisy, it's a very student-y area....Annacotty/ Newtown is probably your best bet. Have you looked at Woodhaven, near Storm cinema? Nice area, alot of families, and the houses are pretty nice. Not sure what the estate directly across from there is called (not the Hawthorns, just up from there) but those houses are lovely too, and they usually ask for postgrads or professionals, so it might be a bit quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

We might start having a look at the Annacotty area. There's an apartment out at Salmon Weir that looks alright. A little bit costly but if it's a nice area I'm willing to pay that bit extra.

Annacotty is a pretty nice area. Sort of away from the main hub and hustle and bustle of the city but pretty convenient place to live for commuting to other parts of city, in particular Castletroy area. My boss rented in Annocotty before he bought...Can't recall him ever saying anything bad about the area and hes a pretty critical sort of chap. Would imagine you'd probably pay a wee bit of a premium to rent there but may be well worth it versus an area such as Bru na Gruadan for example.
    Are there any other areas you could recommend within 10-15 minutes drive of UL?

Within 10-15 minutes drive of UL would actually give you pretty good scope for searching (I'm sort of thinking average between stop-go rush hour traffic and less busy times). Think the area out beyond Superquinn and Storm cinema is pretty good, the Hawthorns, Woodhaven etc. but there are plenty of different estates around that general area. Monaleen, is a pretty mature and nice area but like Annacotty think you might pay a bit of a premium to rent in Monaleen. There is Rhebogue which ain't a million mile away from UL. Wouldn't be overly familiar with the area but think its generally a pretty safe family living sort of area. There was a bit of noise about possible regeneration in Rhebogue some time back but not sure of the status of this now. Hope this helps some bit nathan184.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement